Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Please thank your FA's for letting you stay on the plane..."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Please thank your FA's for letting you stay on the plane..."

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2009, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
your missing the point, the "you can stay or not" part ^
The now make sure to thank everyone and not ask for things or bug us blah blah blah
I didn't miss anything. I was responding directly to the post I quoted.

I already stated it was an unusual thing to say and that it probably didn't come out as intended.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
Isn't it shocking after spending time in Asia especially but Europe to some extent, when you come back it takes some time to acclimate to the lower level of service.
Amen. I just got back from Oz/NZ flying a mix of NW, QF and JQ (JetStar), and while JQ is also in the business of nickeling and diming everyone for food, blankets and beverages like the US carriers are doing, they somehow do it with professionalism. I couldn't even imagine something like this comment coming out of the mouth of an Oz or Kiwi GA. Sometimes it's not about the service per se, it's the atmosphere that it sets for the flying public.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM 2.5MMer, former NW Gold/Platinum ('91-'04), HH Diamond
So, what's the big deal? The crew was willing to let passengers stay on board and was willing (?) to service them in a non-pay status. So the gate agent made a fuss about it... The crew deserved the credit.

A few months ago I boarded a flight in Denver that then had maintenance problems that resulted in a departure delay. They offered us the option of remaining on board or deplaning. Some stayed, some deplaned. For those that stayed it was nice if the crew offered some service during the wait.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Plenty of gripes over at Miles & More. In fact, apparently the LH FA union is voting on March 9 whether to have a general strike. Yay, I'm flying to MUC via LHR (i.e., LH) on 3/13-14. Bear in mind that while you're griping against the FAs' attitudes and such, you might as well gripe about Americans in general, a rather slovenly and ill-mannered lot on the whole these days.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Originally Posted by Javan69
Bear in mind that while you're griping against the FAs' attitudes and such, you might as well gripe about Americans in general, a rather slovenly and ill-mannered lot on the whole these days.
Completely agree, and this is why our airlines suck.....for the most part (service anyways)
Old Feb 26, 2009, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Plenty of gripes over at Miles & More. In fact, apparently the LH FA union is voting on March 9 whether to have a general strike. Yay, I'm flying to MUC via LHR (i.e., LH) on 3/13-14.
You're kidding me! indeed. I'd better keep an eye on the LH news then (FRA-AMM coming up, not a whole lot of alternatives on that route). Thanks for throwing this in here.

Originally Posted by Potreroflyr
There are surely more significant issues than that to gripe about. @:-)
You do realize this is FT, no? ;-)

But yes, I agree.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat
Jeez, what is the big deal? I hardly think that making an announcement explaining what is going on amounts to any kind of lowering of service .
I completely agree.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:54 pm

Bolding added
Rhetorical question.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:19 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
From UA.com (stemming from customer complaints about long ATC/wx delays over the past 5 years.) http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1513,00.html
"United’s commitment:
United is committed to operating a reliable schedule for every customer. Weather and Air Traffic Control (ATC) issues, along with other internal control challenges, can cause delays and cancellations. We aspire to make our customers who experience long on-aircraft or in-airport delays as comfortable as possible during the inconvenience.

United Airlines and its regional United Express partners have implemented a comprehensive policy to minimize lengthy on-ground airport delays. For the best accommodation of our customers, the policy is to:

1. Taxi-out delays (the time the aircraft pushes back from the gate until airborne) – Proactively manage to
minimize ground holds of more than three hours and prevent those of more than four hours."

While this may not have been in excess of 3 hours, it appears they took to heart the intent of the promise. Maybe in Europe or in Asia, consumer advocates didn't make a huge deal about things when aircraft were diverted during thunder to airports that couldn't handle the increased volume.

ATC/WX happens, airlines must react, consumers cry "foul", airlines implement new policies, a CSR makes an announcement, and people complain that this wouldn't happen in Asia. Maybe the customer base in Asia doesn't scream for regulation when things go wrong?
Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
I just spent 3 weeks in Europe and Asia, lots of flights on the above carriers, and when I got back to the states and got on UA again it is just so sad what we as Americans have become...it is pathetic.
I agree that other countries are much more professional in all service industries at this point. That said, in my experience in Europe and Asia, there would not have been a choice of whether to stay or go, and in fact probably not even an explanation. Several times I've boarded a LH flight and then sat at the gate for 30-60 minutes without moving and without a single announcement or explanation or any indication of what may or may not be going on. I hate the way many Americans as individuals behave, but don't take for granted some of the cultural advantages, which in my experience include more transparency and more choices in situations like these.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I'd be curious to know, though, whether LH FAs are paid based on the same rules as UA FAs. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that their pay starts when the aircraft pushes back, yet their work starts much earlier. In other industries, companies have been sued for expecting workers to do work off the clock, but I guess in this case it's what the unions and UA negotiated. Still, it doesn't seem like an approach that leads to good service (or fair pay).
If it's negotiated, it's only illegal if the extra time makes the person's pay less than minimum wage. Also, transportation has always been a little different that way going back to the railroad workers who got paid for a 500 mile day no matter how long it took.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 8:21 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PanHam
What an idiotic and uncouth thing to say, on the part of the GA. And, seemingly, just plain out of touch! Do passengers really want to sit on a half-boarded airplane? I would've hoped, at least, I was one of the pax still in the terminal. I least I could've plugged in my laptop or found something to eat.
The FAs and GAs gave people an option. If you've already stored all your stuff and were just going to read anyway, it'd be a nice choice. I fail to see why having the situation clearly explained and being given a choice is horrible.

Sure, the announcement was a bit over the top, but in the end a transparent and full explanation of the situation was conveyed and a choice was offered.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Isn't it shocking after spending time in Asia especially but Europe to some extent, when you come back it takes some time to acclimate to the lower level of service.
It's not just the lower level of service, it's the utter asininity of a culture in which we're told to voice our gratitude for being shunted around like cattle, in which diminishment is marketed as "enhancement." It's insulting and it's infantilizing, and we just sit back and enjoy the pain.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 9:12 am

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by patgarrett
It's not just the lower level of service, it's the utter asininity of a culture in which we're told to voice our gratitude for being shunted around like cattle, in which diminishment is marketed as "enhancement." It's insulting and it's infantilizing, and we just sit back and enjoy the pain.
Kind of like being expected to tip the 19 y.o. EMO for filling a cup of coffee and handing it to you? We have become a nation of uncouth, ill-mannered, shabbily-dressed whiners and complainers. Given that there is no social opprobrium to such behavior anymore (you get ostracized or worse, sued) why should anyone expect FAs to provide 1950's-style service to the louts who fill the planes -- even in C and even in F. I'm not referring to everyone, and on the whole FT'ers are better behaved, but how often do you see pax who deserve to be treated better than the tracksuit-wearing, gum-chomping, boorish-behaving selves that they are. People actually used to care how they appeared - physically and behaviorally - in public. Now, no one gives a crop, but oh, they demand to be treated like sharp dressed men and women. Seeing t-shirts and sweats in int'l F, well, do you think for a moment anyone is going to work for a U.S. airline and provide SQ service? We have met the enemy and it is us. Frankly, I applaud the announcement. Maybe if things like that happened more often, there'd be less gripes about FAs playing it by the book (being beeyotches, so to speak) because they'd be willing to provide more lagniappe, esp. when not getting paid.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 9:22 am

Kind of like being expected to tip the 19 y.o. EMO for filling a cup of coffee and handing it to you? We have become a nation of uncouth, ill-mannered, shabbily-dressed whiners and complainers. Given that there is no social opprobrium to such behavior anymore (you get ostracized or worse, sued) why should anyone expect FAs to provide 1950's-style service to the louts who fill the planes -- even in C and even in F. I'm not referring to everyone, and on the whole FT'ers are better behaved, but how often do you see pax who deserve to be treated better than the tracksuit-wearing, gum-chomping, boorish-behaving selves that they are. People actually used to care how they appeared - physically and behaviorally - in public. Now, no one gives a crop, but oh, they demand to be treated like sharp dressed men and women. Seeing t-shirts and sweats in int'l F, well, do you think for a moment anyone is going to work for a U.S. airline and provide SQ service? We have met the enemy and it is us. Frankly, I applaud the announcement. Maybe if things like that happened more often, there'd be less gripes about FAs playing it by the book (being beeyotches, so to speak) because they'd be willing to provide more lagniappe, esp. when not getting paid.
The idiots in coach?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.