Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Borderline Discriminatory Agents for Int'l F Class Check-In

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2001, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC

Has anyone experienced a type of "profiling" system by Int'l F Class check-in agents at the ORD front counter?

Twice in a row now, I have been waiting in line for the F Int'l check-in and when the agent is done with the person in front of me, she (both times, but different person) has come out from behind the podium and said, "Excuse me sir, but the line starts back there" (pointing at the end of the C Class check-in line and embarassing me in front of the other travelers.

I am younger, but I think we'd all agree that you can never judge a book by its cover these days. She has no idea who I am or what my story is. The first time it happened I brushed it off and really didn't think about it. This time, I was REALLY insulted and made an issue of it in the Lounge--but nicely...because the lounge staff was really great and really can't account for the cr*ppy check-in counter staff. They were pretty concerned and gave me the number of a supervisor that I had once had an occasion to write before (with a very nice compliment). The one nice woman in the ORD F Class Lounge even walked out to the front check-in area to see if that agent was still there.

This time, I intend to write UA because I am really incensed that there appears to be some sort of informal profiling going on by check-in agents. I was dressed nicely, too, although that should make ZERO difference. And when I handed her my full fare C Class tix (which I had my upgrades for), she even went so far as to say in a very degrading voice, "Sir, you see this here (pointing at the "C" under class of service)? This means business class." I immediately interrupted her and told her I was using an upgrade certificate. I was REALLY REALLY angry at this point (although not real visibly) and said, "I am using my SWU to upgrade, which you will see in your computer when you bother to type in my name. This IS the F Class Check-In, isn't it?" She didn't say a word to me but proceeded to check me in and sent me on my way.

Bottom Line: if an airline employee THINKS that a person is in the wrong line (for instance), there is a very nice way to inquire--versus immediately taking the confrontational approach which puts the traveler in an awkward (and defensive) position. This action really is a mild form of discrimination, and although a couple of bad agents don't define United's policy toward this sort of situation, I remain very angry with the airline that I contribute in excess of over $40,000 + each year (and I've got a LONG way to go in my flying life).

Anyone else (especially the younger flyers)? I really enjoy writing the PRAISE letters versus ones like this.

EDITED 4/16/01 8:08 a.m. Tokyo Time for completely disgusting grammer and spelling due to sake last night. IT could still use some work!

[This message has been edited by JohnnyGlobal (edited 04-15-2001).]
Old Apr 15, 2001, 8:33 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Punki, our young FlyerTalk lady (understandibly no UA staff would ever guess that at such a young age she would travel first-class) reported the same 'treatment/embarassement' some months ago at UA's ORD first-class check-in.
Old Apr 15, 2001, 8:36 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
here is the link to Punki's post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/004680.html
Old Apr 15, 2001, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Where there is an It'l first check-in line, I have no real problerm with them keping that dedicated to that purpose, but as Johnny says, there is a polite way to ask what ticket class you are on, and then age, dress etc becomes irrelevant. Odd it would happen twice without them asking sweetly: "travelling on a first Class ticket with us today to Narita Sir?" or whatever.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Apr 15, 2001, 10:11 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
JohnnyGlobal-

Funny, I thought I was the only one this had happened to...

Proud to say, I'm 23 years old, and according to more than one Delta employee the youngest Platinum Medallion member on record (I think it's the equivalent to United's 1K, 100K+ a year in any event)

This "profiling" happens to me ALL THE TIME, although unfortunately by now I can't tell if the funny looks are really there or I'm just imagining them. Everything from double-takes from check-in agents to FAs ignoring me in FC... you name it, it's happened to me.

About three weeks ago I flew (used miles and upgraded from paid Business) First Class from JFK-FRA on Singapore Air (I've flown DL's Business Elite and BA's Club World, among others) and got comments from the check-in agent straight away. She literally said "You know this is first class, right, sir?" No kidding! That's what the FC stands for?

There should be a law against this!

I guess all I can say is "I feel your pain, brotha."

And I may be young, but I guess I figured out early in the game that it makes the most sense to fly on one airline, preferably one with the best partners.
Old Apr 15, 2001, 11:03 am

This stuff happens all the time. My favorite is being asked for my boarding pass when I start approaching the stairs to upstairs C on UA international. On the other hand, some FA's will be extra nice to you, because you are closer in age to them than the middle-aged passengers that tend to be in C/F.

Either put up with it, or start dressing in a very flashy way, and wearing a Rolex or something. I choose the "put up with it" route.
Old Apr 15, 2001, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
...I'm not too much older (26) but I don't think I've ever experienced that directly from a UA staffer. And given my schlep in YYZ, I never have to confront AC's folks (who are generally much more condescending than UA).

More often than not, I get those "funny looks" from other passengers who are shocked to see someone so young in the 1K line.

However, I have to admit - I have a "defensive" policy. Before even getting in line, I have my 1K card (and other ID) out, and hold it in my hand. Not that it should matter, but I find that everyone will look at it - maybe even before they make a judgement. It also happens to be the first thing that I give to the desk agent, no matter what the routing is. My experience has been that generally the 1K card keeps it real.

I guess this is another good reason for a more differentiated *G+/1K card.

<G>
Old Apr 15, 2001, 1:12 pm

Location: Santa Barbara, CA USA: Round the World Travel, Star Alliance. United 1K, Lufthansa Senator, Singapore PPS
This has never hapenned to me, as I am older, and they don't mess with me.

But what hapenned to JohnnyGlobal is inexcuseable, and I would be looking for (1) compensation, and (2) a letter from UA to carry with you to show the agent if they tried it on again.
Old Apr 15, 2001, 2:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
What they should have done is just ask you to the counter as they normally should with anybody in the First Class/1K line, if you turn out to be a fraud, send you back to the appropriate line.
Old Apr 15, 2001, 3:03 pm

Programs: SQ Solitaire PPS AA nothing short of 1m miler US CP, HH Diamond,
And even when you are in the wrong line travelling on a paid business ticket and or being an elite FT that could be handled differently meaning nice and with style you have paid a couple of thousand $$ .
Besides the age discrimination another stronghold of the airlines is to be surprised about african american first class travellers. I am white european with an african american partner and often when we enter airline clubs they need two minutes to figure out we are travelling together. After I showed my club card she is asked for hers.
Of course we both have one but if we would be the all american white dreamcouple would they ask?? Sometimes you really think it is the 50 ies when you see how surprised they are.
Than comes the boarding. I enter first without being asked my significant other is asked for the boarding pass.
Wake up guys its 2001 and a 24 year old could be rich and entiteled to First and some african americans are professionals!!!!!!! In my close circle of friends they are doctors, lawyers, psychologists.....and they might be harassing white folks in first class because they bought the ticket or are upgrading like other very FT.

[This message has been edited by eurousair (edited 04-15-2001).]
Old Apr 15, 2001, 3:17 pm

I think it is sad when people act so badly. The only thing I could think of in their defense, is that United wants the International 1K line to be only for people who paid for the ticket. It is much like, you would probably only be allowed to use the Business Class lounge in an International Airport, since you upgraded with miles, certs etc, or you cannot use the Arrivals lounge on an upgraded ticket.

Having said that, I agree with others, who should politely ask to see your 1K card, or ask you how you are traveling.

I think someone on the chat the other night said that too many had people had access to the 1K number, and they should ask for your MP number before providing assistance. This is similar. They should ask for your informaton and that advise of the options.

I am not sure about ORD, but at IAD there is a person who assists you in finding the correct line, I think that helps get people in the right place, and hopefully avoids this type of situation.

Old Apr 15, 2001, 3:32 pm

As we all know, being "politely asked" for your card or boarding pass can be done in an extremely condescending way -- with a snort -- especially if it's only the young person whom they're asking.

I suggest just grinning and bearing it -- and being grateful that you're not one of the 99% of younger people who have to travel coach (or ride the Hound!).

Originally posted by buterrier:
should politely ask to see your 1K card, or ask you how you are traveling.
Old Apr 15, 2001, 4:52 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I personally do not believe anyone should have to put up with this type of discrimination. I certainly believe you should send a letter to UNITED. ANd I would ensure you have the name of the person(s) who you had a problem with.

There is no reason you should have to put up with the behavior you described.

William
Old Apr 15, 2001, 5:30 pm

edited by CraiggForrester

[This message has been edited by CraiggForrester (edited 04-15-2001).]
Old Apr 15, 2001, 6:12 pm

I had a similar situation on ANA which fortunately had some results!

Also, I'm worried about redeeming my miles for a F ticket because of the possible bad treatment by the FAs in First. I'm just hoping that ANA FAs are more professional than others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.