Wiki Posts
Search

Stroller policy...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2005, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Starwood
Stroller policy...

Can you gate check a stroller, if you don't have a child traveling with you?

I was carrying one back for a friend last year, and was wondering if I should put it into checked baggage, or if I could get away with rolling it to the gate.

It would make it easier to carry all the things I was going to buy at the airport mall.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
All the GA's ask is if you have a stroller, come up to the counter before boarding to get the green Gate Check tag, so why not?
Old Nov 18, 2005, 1:39 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by CockroachPlus
It would make it easier to carry all the things I was going to buy at the airport mall.
Hints from Heloise: "Where Frequent Flyers can do their Holiday Shopping"
Old Nov 18, 2005, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
What are you going to do with everything that was in the stroller prior to gate checking it? You won't have the "travelling with young children" reason to board early and grab all the overhead space.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/GS, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CockroachPlus
Can you gate check a stroller, if you don't have a child traveling with you?

I was carrying one back for a friend last year, and was wondering if I should put it into checked baggage, or if I could get away with rolling it to the gate.

For the past four years, my wife and I have averaged 15 segments per year where we have been "with stroller".

Of all the flights we have boarded with the stroller, I would have to say only once or twice did I approach the GA with a baby in the stroller (when requesting the gate check tag), and maybe only once or twice did we actually have a baby in the stroller when going down the jetway. In addition, there have been a couple of times where the wife and I boarded at seperate times, she with the baby and me with an empty stroller.

Not that I am suggesting anyone take advantage this, but it seems to me you could very easily bring a stroller, without baby, and still have it checked at the gate.

*It should be noted that we sometimes have the stroller just to cart around all the "stuff" that goes along with the baby, though we still have a baby with us.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
This should UAs policy:

If you move from E- to E+ after the plane has pushed back you will be hit by a stroller.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:57 pm

Just want to bump this up.

I'm sending grandma back tomorrow and want her to have a stroller at her house (so we don't have to lug one over each time). Can I send her with a stroller minus grandkid? Anyone have recent experience? Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I'll echo what was said a few posts (and years) back -- just want up to the gate agent and ask for a stroller tag before boarding begins. They won't check to see if you have a baby along, nor can I imagine that they would care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.