Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA's ord-muc flight 906 aircraft changing from 767 to 777 in summer '09

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Currently this route is listed as a 767, but some time in the future it is switching to a 777. My family and I are booked on this flight in June and I was wondering whether this plane is being changed in the next month or so because of heightened demand for this route during the summer or if it is just simply not loaded yet for the summer. Any speculation on what to expect would be great, and where the 767 from this route might be going to. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 19, 2009 at 8:25 am Reason: clarification of equipment change
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Originally Posted by jdl196
Currently this route is listed as a 767, but some time in the future it is switching to a 777. My family and I are booked on this flight in June and I was wondering whether this plane is being changed in the next month or so because of heightened demand for this route during the summer or if it is just simply not loaded yet for the summer. Any speculation on what to expect would be great, and where the 767 from this route might be going to. Thanks for all the help.
The MUC flights change between 767 and 777 at different times of the year. This is nothing new. I would guess it is based on demand. I have flown both 67 and 77 on this route in the past over the past 5 years.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:25 pm

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
That's great news, although I hope it's not at the cost of a 777 --> 767 downgrade of the IAD-MUC-IAD flight.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
If I recall correctly, at least the last two years ORD-MUC was run on a 777 from May-October and 767 for the rest of the year. This wouldn't surprise me at all due to summer travel and Ocktoberfest.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by bschaff1
If I recall correctly, at least the last two years ORD-MUC was run on a 777 from May-October and 767 for the rest of the year.
I guess you don't recall correctly. I have flown this route a gazillion times in 2007 and 2008, and it was never ever anything else than a 767.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by jdl196
I had this as well. I did not even notice it until I called asking to switch to the Den-Fra direct flight earlier this week. They told me of the time change from the ORD-MUC leg of my mileage trip. Only then did I realize it was also a plane change. After this I tried once again to get a bulkhead seat and it finally accepted the change!

I have not done UAL on international yet (only Lufthansa) so I am curious, is row 31 (the bulkhead) an OK seat? I always feel like bulkhead gets you more room and the smaller seats are fine by me. I'm tall but skinny so I need the ability to kick my legs out (and not at the passenger in front of me's expense). Seatguru and Seatexpert had differing opinions.

And finally, is it normal that I would have had to pay $150 to change my July 14 flight from DEN-ORD-MUC to go DEN-FRA-MUC? Same day and same destination, just different times and different route (using LH instead of UA). My return flight I was OK leaving for now (it isn't until December).

Awesome forums here-thanks for the info!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by uncbeers
And finally, is it normal that I would have had to pay $150 to change my July 14 flight from DEN-ORD-MUC to go DEN-FRA-MUC? Same day and same destination, just different times and different route (using LH instead of UA). My return flight I was OK leaving for now (it isn't until December).
I assuming you're traveling on an award ticket. The fee is only waived if you're changing only the dates and/or times. In this case, you're changing the routing (connecting through FRA vs. ORD) and carrier (LH vs. UA). The $150 fee applies.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by RSSRNotInIndia
I assuming you're traveling on an award ticket. The fee is only waived if you're changing only the dates and/or times. In this case, you're changing the routing (connecting through FRA vs. ORD) and carrier (LH vs. UA). The $150 fee applies.
Yes, I forgot to mention that. I finally got to use those miles I've been saving. Just wanted to clarify on the fee-thanks for confirming!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 1:29 am

Now it is confirmed: The route is permanently going 777 from end of march.

Link (sorry, only in German): http://www.airliners.de/news/artikel...rticleid=17419
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by TT-Jones
The route is permanently going 777 from end of march.
PERMANENTLY?? HaHaHa!!!

Dave
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by bseller
PERMANENTLY?? HaHaHa!!!

Dave
Maybe I am missing the point of the joke as I am not a native speaker?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by TT-Jones
Maybe I am missing the point of the joke as I am not a native speaker?
Sorry.

I was making light (or fun, as it were) of your use of the word permanently - since this implies forever in our language.
NOTHING with UA is forever.

Sorry to misunderstand your usage.
Dave
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
This route for as long as I remember has always been a 767 even in the summer. I wonder if LH might be downsizing what aircraft they fly on that route. It was a 340-600 last summer
Old Feb 19, 2009, 8:04 am

Location: ORD based - All opinions expressed on this forum are my own and in no way represent the views of United Airlines or its affiliates.
Programs: Hilton Gold
One of our 777 pilots told me it was just for the summer. But you are right, nothing at UA is ever permanent.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I am scheduled on both ORD-MUC and MUC-IAD in June. Both are 777. SWU already confirmed on both!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.