Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Using Miles for transatlantic flight, ARRIVALS DENIED?!?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2001, 12:01 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

I recently used miles to upgrade from econ to biz class. Upon arrival in LHR was told that I was not able to use showers due to my biz class ticket was obtained using miles!!!
What do I not understand??? I used miles to upgrade to biz class seat and ALL the amenities that go along with that purchase.
I ran into "flack" a few years ago when I used to upgrade to Australia, but always managed to hit the showers. Anybody else run into these problems or know how to get use of the showers?
Old Mar 8, 2001, 12:11 pm
Original Member

The only passengers eligible to use Arrivals by United are:
- full-fare Business and First passengers
- totally free award business and first passengers (ie no upgrades)
- presumably, passengers upgrading using miles from business to first since they were business class initially.

Unfortunately, this is clearly stated on the UAL web-site.
Old Mar 8, 2001, 12:23 pm

I had the same problem at LHR last year. I even went to the 1K agents, but they were unable to help.

United claims that there is limited space in the Arrivals lounge.

At LHR there is a club in the same area, I think called the "Oasis Lounge" and they charge about 25 pounds. It was worth it to me since I had been traveling all day. You might try that out next time.
Old Mar 8, 2001, 2:40 pm

Are you sure full mileage customers can use "Arrivals"? I am using miles for First Class LAX-CDG on March 18th. Would I be able to utilize the Arrivals service? I thought the web site indicated only full fare F & C customers could use it.

I would be very happy if I could take advantage of the service, as I have to wait a couple of hours at CDG for some friends to arrive on another flight.

One other question: Do you have to request it in advance, or do you just show up at some location at the airport when you land?
Old Mar 8, 2001, 2:53 pm
Original Member

Absolutely, mileage awards of free First Class or Business Class trips may use arrivals. You should get an invitation when you check in for your first segment.
Old Mar 8, 2001, 2:58 pm
jet

Programs: UA MM; DL SPG HH Gold
Yes, customers traveling on fully miles (award) tix can use Arrivals. You should get a pass at your first check in. If you're in F, and use the F lounge at your international leg's departure airport, oftentimes the concierge comes over and asks if you intend to use Arrivals, especially if you are arriving very early in the morning at your destination. I presume they call this information ahead. Upon arrival, you are either met at the plane, or you find your way to the Arrivals facility itself. If you have your admittance card that you got when you checked in, there should be no problem at all...
Old Mar 8, 2001, 3:15 pm

Thanks for the info. This is indeed good news. My actual routing is LAX-IAD-CDG, but my return is CDG-LAX non-stop. Since I'm supposed to get into CDG at 7am, a nice shower and change would probably do quite well!

What do the Arrivals lounges offer besides a place to shower? Any food?
Old Mar 8, 2001, 4:44 pm

Location: SYD: Fly and fly... UA UGS 1K MM, SQ PPS, SPG/PC Platinum
The only place where you might have better luck are those Arrival showers that's located in RCC rooms eg. FRA. I have even used the showers when I arrived on TG. The key factor IMHO was the FF status + RCC membership and that the place wasn't too crowded with UA arriving passengers.

I really appreciated FRA RCC's assistance over that one and it helped me decide to stay more dedicated to UA for all my travelling needs.

------------------
Cheers,
W
Old Mar 8, 2001, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

It seems that it strikes me a bit harder, that if I've upgraded to Biz class, I should get ALL the perks that come with it!

Thanks for all your feedback though.

Old Mar 9, 2001, 6:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Sweet Willie:

I agree with you completely, if you're int a particular class of service, you should have the amenities that go with that class. This is the first I've ever heard of discriminating upon a PAX becuase of fare basis???

Bad move.
Old Mar 9, 2001, 8:50 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I think that it's mostly a numbers issue. There are a LOT of passengers who upgrade from economy to business and the Arrivals facilities just aren't large enough to handle them all.

I was rerouted IAD-FRA-TXL to IAD-LHR-FRA-TXL last Nov. and the agent mistakenly booked me in C, not NC so when my boarding pass popped out, an invitation to Arrivals at LHR (printed on ticket stock like a DBC or voucher) came along with it, so I think it's automatic.

When I arrived at Arrivals I was very impressed, partly because it was so small, intimate, uncrowded and yes, exclusive. It's fantastic to open that little door after exiting the shower to find you shirt and trousers neatly pressed.

I was on a BA nonstop to TXL and wanted those status miles so I asked to be put on LH LHR-FRA-TXL and the purser at Arrivals handled it no problem.

If you want a shower and don't qualify for Arrivals and your schedule is flexible, try flying to FRA or MUC instead of LHR, CDG, AMS, BRU. If you're *G then LH has showers in the Business and Senator lounges.
Old Mar 10, 2001, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the LH tip Kurt!!

Old Mar 11, 2001, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Agents CAN issue arrival invites if you ask nicely.
Old Mar 13, 2001, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Oz, but I'm sure your 1K does alot more than my PE status!!!!!!!!

Old Mar 14, 2001, 4:14 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally posted by ozstamps:
Agents CAN issue arrival invites if you ask nicely.
Actually, they can issue on the invitation card, but then on the card itself, you will see your booking code. I've been told by BOS RCC agents, that even if they issue you an invitation, the LHR people will catch this and throw you out. The LHR people seems notorious for this. I think other Arrivals facilities are far more lenient...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.