Oversold LAX/HKG...what $$$ to expect

Old Mar 9, 2001, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Oversold LAX/HKG...what $$$ to expect

I'm flying Sat. 3/10 to HKG. I hear that UA is oversold on the LAX/HKG portion of the trip.
If they request 'bumpees', what should I expect for compensation?

And, when's the next flight after 12 Noon?
I know there aren't many choices.

Dan
Old Mar 9, 2001, 12:46 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally posted by dhammer53:
I'm flying Sat. 3/10 to HKG. I hear that UA is oversold on the LAX/HKG portion of the trip....
And, when's the next flight after 12 Noon?
Dan
Indeed United Connection seat map shows no seats available on the 11:50am (#0001) in C or Y FC seating chart is "unavailable"

Next one looks like Cathay Pacific 0883 at 1:25pm

Next one looks like Cathay Pacific 881 at 11:30pm

Old Mar 9, 2001, 1:06 pm

Now might be a good time to ask UA to reroute you, confirmed in biz-class, all the way to HKG. (maybe thru ORD, SEA, SFO, etc).
Old Mar 9, 2001, 1:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
Dhammer53--I had an experiance of crew sickness on outbound CX 881. They put me up at the LAX Hilton alas, no miles or points. I received 2 meals and
an upgade from J to FC. This happened again on my return trip and again I was sitting pretty in CX FC HKG-LAX, all on an award. CX is the best for this type of renumeration. You shouldn't have a problem...ask for Mr. Reed at the CX ticket counter if you have a problem. They also gave me 2, 30 min CX phone cards.

------------------
MRKEY
Old Mar 9, 2001, 2:39 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Make sure you do not have checked bags, as I assume you are coming from JFK. At LAX, they will probably be trying to get volunteers upon check-in, and tagging their bags accordingly, so they can be easily pulled off the flight. Unless they are really desparate, they won't want to be retrieving checked bags.

Also, it pays to just get on the list, and be pateient and nice. I once volunteered my seat on SYD-LAX and was awarded an international upgrade certificate..good on any published fare, for the "trouble" of volunteering (they never used my seat).

Let us know what happens!
Old Mar 9, 2001, 3:14 pm

And to follow along DAS's suggestions where potential bumpees may be asked at "check-in" (versus at the gate), when U check-in at JFK, if your upgrade to HKG hasn't yet cleared, check-in "only" for the JFK-LAX leg, not the LAX-HKG. When U get to LAX, check-in again and hope that either your upgrade has cleared to HKG or that U get asked to be bumped. I am guessing that if you check-in at JFK all the way to HKG, U may
substantially reduce your chances for getting bumped. And perhaps ask at JFK, even if you aren't checking in for the LAX-HKG leg, if you can be placed on the waitlist for the upgrade from LAX-HKG.

[This message has been edited by crankyusi (edited 03-09-2001).]
Old Mar 9, 2001, 3:40 pm

Question: Since dhammer53 is flying from JFK to HKG, couldn't they theoretically reroute him through SFO or NRT when he checks in for the first leg.

Also, I thought UA oversells every flight and then expects cancellations, no shows, and missed connections to offset the difference.
Old Mar 9, 2001, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cranki,
Great advice. I'll use it tomorrow (along with a SWU if I'm lucky) .

FYI, ALL the NY/ASIA LAX, SFO, and ORD flights are pretty well booked for tomorrow.
I'll be stuck in the back (bulkhead at least) for the LAX/HKG portion of the trip.
The only saving grace is that I'm having dinner with Kitty Hawk and a few others when I arrive. I heard 'real' Chinese food isn't as good as NY!
DAS, nice to see you again. I will be planning a trip your way later in the spring. Maybe I'll see you then.

Wish me luck.
Dan
Old Mar 9, 2001, 5:20 pm

Originally posted by fallinasleep:
Question: Since dhammer53 is flying from JFK to HKG, couldn't they theoretically reroute him through SFO or NRT when he checks in for the first leg.

I would think anything is fair game. The more I fly, the more I realize the massive power that a check-in agent wields. I don't have the flight times but there definitely are JFK-SFO flights, then SFO-HKG or SFO-NRT-HKG.

Also, I thought UA oversells every flight and then expects cancellations, no shows, and missed connections to offset the difference.
UA reservations has quoted me the same, sort-of-complaining how tour operators make large bookings, then cancel at the last moment. But, I have also been on completely sold out flights in coach flying from HKG-SFO last September, and I was one of the sardines sitting in between 2 1K's that took it in stride.

P.S. The second paragraph in the "quote" section above is mine, still trying to get the hang of this.

[This message has been edited by crankyusi (edited 03-09-2001).]
Old Mar 9, 2001, 8:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
When I was last bumped to Australia from LAX, they flew me out the next day on the exact same UA flight, but moved me from business to first. I was happy

$600 in vouchers plus 3 meal vouchers for the next 24 hours, and 2 nights hotel (up to flight time the next night). Didn't your ticket cost about $600? Could very well break even under this scenario, and get miles besides.
Old Mar 9, 2001, 8:34 pm

I volunteered to get bumped when I checked in at OAK on the way to LAX. When I got to the Red Carpet Club at LAX, they told me the gate did not want to use me because I checked a bag through to Melbourne.

Boarded the plane as late as possible. Got seated in row 16 (this was the old 747 upper deck config) and heard the page on board asking for volunteers. I leapt from my seat and was at the door before the page was finished.

Moral: Volunteer every step of the way and do not check in any bags for better chances.
Old Mar 9, 2001, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks Tom.

So noted.

Wish me luck. Hmmm, but which way.

Last post till Tuesday.
Dan

[This message has been edited by dhammer53 (edited 03-09-2001).]
Old Mar 9, 2001, 11:59 pm

Good luck Dan! We'll be waiting to hear about your (very brief) Hong Kong trip!
Old Mar 10, 2001, 9:10 am

Well, less than 4 hours before departure, Dan's HKG flight is showing Y3 for availability (the flight from SFO is showing "0" across the board). Hoping they're still oversold, even though 3 seats are out there for sale still.
Old Mar 10, 2001, 9:13 am

Even though its still possible to book 3 seats on the flight this means that the flight is overbooked so I guess dhammer53 could still be hoping for a denied boarding voucher. Lets hop that everyone will show up for the flight

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.