Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-SYD-SFO keeps 747

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:40 am
Original Poster

SFO-SYD-SFO keeps 747

Hello Sydney fliers. We just received news that the 747 will stay on the SFO-SYD-SFO route. The rumor of a 777 was indeed not a rumor, but the decision to use the 777 was rescinded.
Cheers,
G2O
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:46 am

Thanks for the info!

Hmm, if UA is not putting their "best" international product on the SFO - SYD route, I wonder what this means in terms of how they think they will be able to compete with Qantas, Delta, and Virgin Blue. Maybe a subtle flag o' surrender?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
Wirelessly posted (xx: BlackBerry8100/4.5.0.99 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

Reconfigured 747 is "better" than old 777
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Goes2Oz
We just received news that the 747 will stay on the SFO-SYD-SFO route. The rumor of a 777 was indeed not a rumor, but the decision to use the 777 was rescinded.
Which is good news for those of us with upcoming flights on the route!! Thanks for the update!!

Dave

Originally Posted by treyrox
Wirelessly posted (xx: BlackBerry8100/4.5.0.99 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

UNLESS, of course, if one is in Y!!

Dave

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 11, 2009 at 11:51 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:52 am

That's indeed true. Hmm - yeah, and UA doesn't really care about Y pax. Plus, the 747 has a better cargo capacity than the triple-7, yes?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PanHam
Thanks for the info!

Hmm, if UA is not putting their "best" international product on the SFO - SYD route, I wonder what this means in terms of how they think they will be able to compete with Qantas, Delta, and Virgin Blue. Maybe a subtle flag o' surrender?
Virgin Blue does not fly SYD-SFO. Do you mean V Australia? V Australia, QF, DL, and UA will all supposedely be competing on LAX-SYD-LAX, not the SFO-SYD-SFO. Delta may or may not start service.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:55 am

Virgin Blue does not fly SYD-SFO. Do you mean V Australia? V Australia, QF, DL, and UA will all supposedely be competing on LAX-SYD-LAX, not the SFO-SYD-SFO. Delta may or may not start service.
Sorry - my bad. That's right. I meant to say how this change is related to/how it affects the fray that is about to commence on the LAX - SYD - LAX route.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Not in the back (Economy/Economy Plus).
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

That's indeed true. Hmm - yeah, and UA doesn't really care about Y pax. Plus, the 747 has a better cargo capacity than the triple-7, yes?
UA does care about Y pax. I recieve comments constantly that our FA's in Y class are much more attentive than QF. The "closed galley curtain" that we hear about at QF is not part of UA unless it is to keep light out of your eyes. I know this probably will ignite a flurry of nasty comments ..... but when I stand at the entry door and say goodbye to our Y pax, I hear many comments, especially from our Aussie pax to the effect "thanks for looking after us so well". OK ... no AVOD, but we DO care.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
That's an understatement...
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:02 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
We try to avoid the back on that route.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
UA does care about Y pax. I recieve comments constantly that our FA's in Y class are much more attentive than QF. The "closed galley curtain" that we hear about at QF is not part of UA unless it is to keep light out of your eyes. I know this probably will ignite a flurry of nasty comments ..... but when I stand at the entry door and say goodbye to our Y pax, I hear many comments, especially from our Aussie pax to the effect "thanks for looking after us so well". OK ... no AVOD, but we DO care.
^ I agree. It seems the bad service (if any) on int'l UA flights often comes in C (IME at least). I had GREAT--and I mean GREAT service in Y on three UA longhauls last year.

While there is no doubt that QF's IFE and food are far superior, I still choose UA!
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
TRUST me.............. the cargo no longer is an issue.... there is so little cargo these days and what cargo is flying is very low rates So the days of making money on Cargo are over for now.

perhaps you know why UA is not going to put AVOD on the 747? Hey thanks for posting and thanks for caring! Perhaps we will be flying UA in 2010 if more employee's are like you.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 11, 2009 at 2:23 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by why fly
perhaps you know why UA is not going to put AVOD on the 747? Hey thanks for posting and thanks for caring! Perhaps we will be flying UA in 2010 if more employee's are like you.
The original wiring would not support AVOD. To install AVOD would have meant ripping out and replacing all the Y wiring. It was a financial decision.

Originally Posted by why fly
TRUST me.............. the cargo no longer is an issue.... there is so little cargo these days and what cargo is flying is very low rates So the days of making money on Cargo are over for now.
Some very important cargo coming into the US on United ... bees. Yes, you have heard about the bee colonies just dying and/or disappearing? Almost daily UA brings in bees from Australia to pollinate our crops, especially in the fruit growing regions.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 11, 2009 at 2:24 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:27 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
UA doesn't really care about Y pax.
I believe this is intended as the view of UA upper management.

UA does care about Y pax.
I assume you mean the working stiffs on the planes.

Not many here will believe that UA management also cares about the E pax on this route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.