Wiki Posts
Search

Purser soliciting her business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1K (2k), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Purser soliciting her business

I was sitting in F a few days ago; probably an hour into flight, after breakfast service, the purser approached me and invited me to come to the galley. In the galley, she solicited to what appeared to be a multi-level marketing business (in form of beauty products). I wasn't too interested, but I listened to her "ad" anyway because I didn't want to be rude by turning her down right away. She gave me a sheet of her company profile, and her business card (not purser's business card from United but her company's rather).

Anyways, is this practice acceptable in your opinion?

Last edited by futureacnp; Feb 10, 2009 at 10:49 pm
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:43 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
You know what I was thinking when I saw the "Purser soliciting her business" title.

However either what I was thinking or any kind of MLM scheme is totally inappropriate to be doing while working onboard.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by futureacnp
She gave me a sheet of her company profile, and her business card (not purser's business card from United but her company's rather).

I don't think that's appropriate, and probably also not very smart. Won't take many "marketing" galley sessions before someone sends that material on to UA customer service.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Not only unprofessional, but it should be grounds for dismissal (if it isn't already).
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by futureacnp
Should be grounds for termination.

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MarkXS
You know what I was thinking when I saw the "Purser soliciting her business" title.
This is UA you know...
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LMAO, how ridiculous. That reminds me of an IAD-SFO flight last year where the FA was selling legal services of some sort. She had pins all over her apron promoting the business, and even walked up and down the first class aisle handing out pamphlets. As if that wasn't enough, she asked several passengers (including me) for our phone numbers so she could contact us regarding the business.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:57 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
I'd have asked another FA to have an SD meet me on the ground..and would have discussed such unprofessional behavior with the SD.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Frankly, I think if UA management allowed this type of activity, it would be a sure way to put the S back in Service.

Instead of being surly and grumpy, UA FAs would now be solicitous and accommodating: "Sir, are you sure you wouldn't like another drink. Once you're comfortable and relaxed, I was going to come back and demonstrate some new lotions and creams that will really keep your skin moist in this dry air."
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Honestly, normally I would rate myself a very unsympathetic person, but I kind of feel sorry for this Purser.

Clearly she feels that her current job is so tenuous or unreliable going forward that she has to seek out additional income in this economy. On some level I appreciate FAs because they do a job that at times does have such an uncertain future (pay and pension).

That said, this is totally unacceptable not just because of obvious distraction it creates to her doing her primary job, but also because I can't think of a place where a customer is going to feel more captive than trapped on a plane at 35,000 in the galley with the purser.

I think had it been me, I would have kindly pointed out that she was risking one job for another, and depending on her response to that, decided whether or not to pass on the info to UA.

Unless this is a cosmetic subsidiary owned by UA? Did you ask if you get double-miles?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:58 pm

Have to think such solicitation would be explicitly forbidden in the UA employment contract. OTOH, with all that UA FA's have had to put with in the past several years, there is a wryly and satisfyingly subversive element to her behavior
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
LMAO, how ridiculous. That reminds me of an IAD-SFO flight last year where the FA was selling legal services of some sort. She had pins all over her apron promoting the business, and even walked up and down the first class aisle handing out pamphlets.
Two thoughts:

- she probably needed the legal services afterwards
- did she really think there are people in F buying legal services from a FA?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

When asked why she was selling these products, she said she still loves her job as a FA and won't give it up for anything. Though she was also pretty good in advertising her beauty products. She showed me the catalogue of the products as well as some ads in the magazine.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
That reminds me of an IAD-SFO flight last year where the FA was selling legal services of some sort.
... on a route where most of the pax are lawyers, politicians, government contract administrators, and policy wonks
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOtoBOS
Unless this is a cosmetic subsidiary owned by UA? Did you ask if you get double-miles?
No, not one of those useless stuff from the Skymiles magazine

But yeah, OTOH I feel sorry for her. It was just weird that she was trying to sell these products to passengers, especially to those seated in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.