Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purser soliciting her business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by futureacnp
It was just weird that she was trying to sell these products to passengers, especially to those seated in F.
IME, most F pax need as much help as they can get regarding beauty
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:18 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Send it in to UA. Most likely 1 offense will not result in termination, but will start the paper trail. It IS grounds for termination. I know of a few CSR's that were terminated for similar, but fought to get their jobs back. They are still employed by UA, but I know their "outside the scope of UA business" behavior has stopped.

Inappropriate behavior should be addressed and this is clear cut...no "he said she said" if you have the doccuments and flight nimber/date/name.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat
IAnyways, is this practice acceptable in your opinion?
No, but I have to tell you in the grand scheme of things, it isn't a big deal. I wouldn't suggest the purser continue to engage in this practice, but I also realize different people hold different levels of regard for their job. I'm at a point where where little surprises me, especially when it comes to things like this. Besides, I figure within ear or eyeshot is someone with a hair trigger just dying to whip out the poor employee's own employee handbook and thrash them with it.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:52 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by KarlJ
No, but I have to tell you in the grand scheme of things, it isn't a big deal. I wouldn't suggest the purser continue to engage in this practice, but I also realize different people hold different levels of regard for their job. I'm at a point where where little surprises me, especially when it comes to things like this. Besides, I figure within ear or eyeshot is someone with a hair trigger just dying to whip out the poor employee's own employee handbook and thrash them with it.
Remember, this is the purser. She is the leader of the flight attendants on the plane. Addl training and pay. In a leadership role (which is voluntary,) a person should lead by example.

We all have stresses and it is tough times for all. UA may sell ad space on everything it can, but it is UA's product to do so. UA"s planes and time is UA's not the purser's, so she needs to represent her employer at this time, not her personal business interests. Her time is United's while on the clock. WHile off the clock she is free to pursue her own agenda.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
But yeah, OTOH I feel sorry for her. It was just weird that she was trying to sell these products to passengers, especially to those seated in F.
True. She should have worked in Y where she has about 160 more potential customers than in F.

That would make more business sense
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Completely unacceptable, IMHO. I have sympathy for people on the brink of losing their jobs too, but be thankful for the one you have...and respect it. She'll just lose her job that much quicker with this type of behavior. I highly suggest the OP write to UA with specifics. Can you imagine this type of behavior on SA? I could see it on US Air, and WN, and of course Spirit and Allegiant, but this used to be a high quality airline...let's attempt to keep it that way.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:59 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I know a lot of the UA FAs have 'outside' jobs just to make ends meet (real estate, etc.). But giving a pitch to the pax is probably a bit borderline...

OTOH, it isn't like UA holds back from marketing all sorts of stuff on-board. "premier line", "E+ access", "sky mall", etc. Not to mention the commercials that get shown during the "video entertainment". And do I need to be hit up to get a credit card while in the airport?

Hers is just one more thing to tune-out. I do have some sympathy, FA's have been given the shaft, but I hope not to have to hear "the speech".
Old Feb 11, 2009, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by UCBeau
I'd have asked another FA to have an SD meet me on the ground..and would have discussed such unprofessional behavior with the SD.
I agree that this is totally inappropriate, but no way I am going to spend additional time in the airport to push this. Nor would I mention this to purser until all food and beverage service is concluded.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MarkXS
You know what I was thinking when I saw the "Purser soliciting her business" title.
Well if any of the usual age group were soliciting that kind of business on the SYD runs they'd get into the Guinness Book Of Records for longevity.

Getting back to the one in thread, she'll get sacked the moment WHQ hears of it.

What if it were time share, or from wacko religion (or any religion now I think on it) - nothing UA if paying her to do to their clients.

Glen
Old Feb 11, 2009, 3:37 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
It would have been fun to tell her you are a United executive...
Old Feb 11, 2009, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by SFOtoBOS
Honestly, normally I would rate myself a very unsympathetic person, but I kind of feel sorry for this Purser.

Clearly she feels that her current job is so tenuous or unreliable going forward that she has to seek out additional income in this economy. On some level I appreciate FAs because they do a job that at times does have such an uncertain future (pay and pension).
I'm sorry, but unless you know her, you have no clue as to her particular motivations.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1K (2k), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
I got an impression that she has been doing this for a while. Indeed she said something like "I have been doing this for a year or so".
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:01 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Frankly, I think if UA management allowed this type of activity, it would be a sure way to put the S back in Service.

Instead of being surly and grumpy, UA FAs would now be solicitous and accommodating: "Sir, are you sure you wouldn't like another drink. Once you're comfortable and relaxed, I was going to come back and demonstrate some new lotions and creams that will really keep your skin moist in this dry air."
I think you're on to something. Skin care, magazine subscriptions, Tupperware, Duty Free - oh, that last one is already covered.

I'd like to draw the line on timeshare presentations though.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:28 am

Programs: Some, not all.
I'd have taken her details, then mailed it all in to UA with a letter of complaint.

I though cold calling and door stepping were the lowest form of sales, but this is unbelievable.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:41 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Totally unacceptable IMO. Perhaps I should start selling my services on the TPAC flights.......no pun intended...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.