Wiki Posts
Search

Best/worst C-meal on UA??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Best/worst C-meal on UA??

After completion of my recent trip I found new a new low -and high- regarding meals.

The best meal I can recall on UA, served as dinner NRT-BKK, was "TRADER VIC´S Shredded chicken in Thai green curry sauce. Jasmine rice and roa(s?)ted mushroom and vegetable medley".
Simply delicous, very authentic Thai taste. What a pleasant surprise after a long journey.

The by far worst meal I was ever served in C was on NRT-SFO "Scrambled eggs with ham and cheese on waffle".
To put it friendly: Uneadible. A sweet waffle, salty scrambled eggs with 2 thick slices of ham and an orange slime (the cheese?) on top. Disgusting for sure.

To add: I never noticed macadamia nuts as part of the pre-meal nuts mixture before?

F.R.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:02 am

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Best meal was the Mahi-mahi we sampled at Gate Gourmet tour last fall. I finally had it in-flight on ORD-LHR 928 last night and it was as good as I remembered it.

(Well, technically my favorite was any Japanese meal but that's a cuisine preference).

Worse has too many candidates.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Again, subjective opinion:

The Best: SFO Do at Gate Gourmet - Mahi Mahi

The worst: Filet Mignon (AMS-ORD)

The meat tasted funny. I had 3 small bites and finished the veg and fries instead.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:24 am

I'm not a fan of pretty much anything catered out of SFO. It all has a funny refrigerator taste. It's masked a bit on reheated items, but on offerings such as fruit and cheese, it's pretty prominent.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:52 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl
After completion of my recent trip I found new a new low -and high- regarding meals.

The best meal I can recall on UA, served as dinner NRT-BKK, was "TRADER VIC´S Shredded chicken in Thai green curry sauce. Jasmine rice and roa(s?)ted mushroom and vegetable medley".
Simply delicous, very authentic Thai taste. What a pleasant surprise after a long journey.
F.R.
Couldn't agree more - chose this last month on a NRT-SIN flight and also thought it was delicious.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:55 am

Location: 5 min. from ITH, 1:20 from SYR, but will drive for E+
Programs: UA 1K/MM
My vote would be for the Washoku Zen meals on flights to and from NRT. The appetizer portion of the meal is easily the best food I've ever had on an airplane (not that this is too high of a standard).
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:59 am

Programs: Lots
Rotter. Nuff said.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find C & F catering out of ZRH always excellent.

Identical meals ex other EU stations can be significantly inferior to what the Swiss are cooking up.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Axey
Rotter. Nuff said.
Not nuff said. The Mahi is a (T)rotter meal. I was apprehensive to try it ORD-MUC and was remarkably surprised.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Best meal - I've had generally good luck with the filet. Also had a macadamia nut crusted chicken on IAD-ZRH that was pretty good awhile back.

Worst meal: ICN-NRT cold chicken salad. Absolutely disgusting. Really wished I would have ordered the Korean bento box that they offered instead (though no one could describe it when I asked). That looked a lot better.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
HKG-SIN in 11/2007 had a fantastic fish, some kind of bass, perhaps? Absolutely hit the spot; perfectly done. I wish I could remember the details. The filet mignon is hit and miss; I had a nice medium rare piece on a recent LHR-ORD flight.

I'll try the Washoku Zen meal this May.

In general, I'm not picky. I've never had anything that I consider inedible.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
... The best meal I can recall on UA, served as dinner NRT-BKK, was "TRADER VIC´S Shredded chicken in Thai green curry sauce. Jasmine rice and roa(s?)ted mushroom and vegetable medley".

The by far worst meal I was ever served in C was on NRT-SFO "Scrambled eggs with ham and cheese on waffle".
To put it friendly: Uneadible. A sweet waffle, salty scrambled eggs with 2 thick slices of ham and an orange slime (the cheese?) on top. Disgusting for sure....
I agree with you on both accounts! Here is a picture of the Thai chicken dish I had NRT-TPE last December. In my experiences, the Trader Vic's menus rarely disappoint. In the least, they are more consistent than Charlie Trotter.

Here is a picture of the omelet I had on the way back on that same trip. You took the words (and the food) right out of my mouth!

Originally Posted by UpstateNY
My vote would be for the Washoku Zen meals on flights to and from NRT. The appetizer portion of the meal is easily the best food I've ever had on an airplane (not that this is too high of a standard).
Same opinion here. IMO, the washoku meals even beat SQ's C "Book the Cook" by a wide margin. Here is one picture, and here another, both in the appetizer course ex-NRT.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
Wirelessly posted (xx: BlackBerry8100/4.5.0.99 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

I had the mahi-mahi recently and enjoyed it much more than the filet today.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:11 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Not nuff said. The Mahi is a (T)rotter meal. I was apprehensive to try it ORD-MUC and was remarkably surprised.
Same here. I was also apprehensive because of the past luck with Trotter meals but this one was pretty good.

Overall, airline food is very difficult to get right considering the entire process it has to go through. So I start out with low expectations.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
To put it friendly: Uneadible. A sweet waffle, salty scrambled eggs with 2 thick slices of ham and an orange slime (the cheese?) on top. Disgusting for sure.
I'm not sure this is the absolute worst meal I've ever had on UA, but it's right up there. The pain is more acute because it's recent: I endured this on the way back from the fantastic SIN DO last month.

After trying one bite, I did my best to scrape off the egg-like substance so I could make a sandwich from the ham and a leftover croissant.

Last edited by mikew99; Feb 9, 2009 at 5:16 pm Reason: fix quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.