Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

SAN/ORD/AMS June 21 flight times changed, flight connection tight!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2009, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Booked my award tickets last August, departure time from SAN has changed several times already and imagine it could again before June. Now, barely an hour between flights in ORD . Should I worry or just hang in there until closer to the date? If I don't make connection, is it up to UA to rebook me to AMS?
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by andeesue
Should I worry or just hang in there until closer to the date? If I don't make connection, is it up to UA to rebook me to AMS?
1. Little bit early to be worrying about a flight in June, no?

2. No, you'll have to stay in Chicago. Yes, they'll rebook you on a later flight if you miss the connection.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy Titanium
Booked my award tickets last August, departure time from SAN has changed several times already and imagine it could again before June. Now, barely an hour between flights in ORD . Should I worry or just hang in there until closer to the date? If I don't make connection, is it up to UA to rebook me to AMS?
I don't know what the MCT is for ORD, but if your close to an hour, I'd say that's a little tight.

If you'd be nervous about a ~1hr connection (personally, I probably would), call them and have them put you on an earlier SAN-ORD flight.

While it would be on them to rebook you if you misconnect, since the ORD-AMS flight leaves late in the day (circa 18:00, give or take), you might find yourself in ORD for the evening in the event that happened (the other direct from ORD is on KLM, whom they may or may not be willing to put your ticket on...the other later-departing UA/*A options would involve stops in LHR/FRA and partners in the EU...)
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Little bit early to be worrying about a flight in June, no?
No. Some of us like planning ahead.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 5:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No. Some of us like planning ahead.
So do others of us. Given the flight is booked and it's four months away, many different variables out of the traveler's control can come into play. Plan all you want, there are some things you can't control.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I would call for sure.

It isn't like a 6pm ORD-DCA. If you missed that, there are a couple later flights + ORD-IAD and even ORD-BWI. Also if you are put on another airline, it is possible you'll get downgraded.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Plan all you want, there are some things you can't control.
But what you can control, handle immediately. If you're concerned about your connections, don't expect things to clean themselves up later.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 5:55 pm
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
My recommendation after spending 10 years connecting through ORD (from LNK and OMA) is to have UA book you on an earlier flight. Even on a nice clear day, they can barely keep flights on time. If you misconnect, you'll have to get your luggage (if you checked any and need something) and then start all over again in the morning. Even if they "held" any checked luggage for you for ther next day, I'd look for it at baggage claim anyway, just to make sure it didn't end up there. If you end up with lots of extra time, head over to the Hilton (outside of the secure area however) and have lunch and get some fresh air.

DEN (Now at a real airport)
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Good information, thanks everyone. Yeah, I realize this is 4 months away and times may change again but better to be proactive than possibly lose precious time in Amsterdam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.