Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus Select Visa bonus miles earning question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond

Select visa says:
=====
Earn triple miles for every dollar spent on United purchases
Earn double miles on gas, home improvement purchases, groceries, dining and Star Alliance® purchases
=====

Do I earn triple miles on United tickets regardless of whether purchased through .bomb or operator/reservations call center?

How do I get double miles on Star Alliance purchases? I must purchase on the *A airline's website? Or, do I need to call United and purchase through them? (If I get 2x miles through *A airline's website, could I get 3x by calling united to buy that same *A ticket?)
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 2cardinalalums
Do I earn triple miles on United tickets regardless of whether purchased through .bomb or operator/reservations call center?
Yes.

How do I get double miles on Star Alliance purchases?
Just buy the ticket. The sales channel doesn't matter.

(If I get 2x miles through *A airline's website, could I get 3x by calling united to buy that same *A ticket?)
No, because 3x is only for United purchases.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman

Thank you for the info. A clarification question. If I purchase *A ticket through a place like Expedia or Orbitz, how will Chase/UA know that it was a *A purchase?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If I purchase *A ticket through a place like Expedia or Orbitz, how will Chase/UA know that it was a *A purchase?
All airline purchases should have the airline and ticket number on your credit card statement. (Though it's been a long time since I've purchased from a third-party site.)
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

Thank you for the info. A clarification question. If I purchase *A ticket through a place like Expedia or Orbitz, how will Chase/UA know that it was a *A purchase?
I've purchased through Orbitz within the last year, and it shows on your statement just as if you had bought the ticket through the airline directly. At least for UA & US it does.

It may very depending on what agency you use and how they process it. Most of the big ones process using the issuing airline's merchant account. That's why "United Airlines" (or whoever the issuing carrier is) is listed on your CC statement. If the agency name shows up instead, it means the agency itself is doing the processing, and you won't get the 2 x or 3 x miles. The latter will probably be the case if booking with a consolidator, and I suspect also if you book using a blind purchase (i.e. Like on Priceline for tickets where you don't know the carrier until after the purchase).
Old Apr 7, 2011, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

As it turns out, I did get 2x on a lufthansa purchase made on expedia. So, that confirms the helpful advice I got from posts above.

However, I didn't get 2x miles on a purchase made directly with Asiana. The credit card transaction entry is like this:
02/09/2011 Sale Asiana Airlines-ASIANA(Travel)

There is some disclaimer with Chase that says they're not responsible for incorrect merchant categorization.

Anyone successfully had the 2x miles credited for *A purchases that didn't get the 2x miles?
Old May 14, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Looks like their "double miles for Star Alliance purchases" isn't working for Ethiopian airlines... I had to send a Secure Message to ask them to deposit a few thousand based on recent purchases.
Old May 15, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Looks like their "double miles for Star Alliance purchases" isn't working for Ethiopian airlines... I had to send a Secure Message to ask them to deposit a few thousand based on recent purchases.
Contacted ChaseSupport via twitter since Secure Message was down. Miles deposited within 1 day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.