Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Rumor - UA To Start MSP To SFO in Summer '09?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor - UA To Start MSP To SFO in Summer '09?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:36 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I would like them to add this route, and given the amount of traffic NW carries on it, and the number of UA elites, I expect they will fill a plane.

The difference is (i suspect) that with DL getting much bigger, UA has to start thinking about covering some of these routes out of SFO (and perhaps even SFO-ATL) or it is going to loose its competative edge with Bay Area Premium travelers.

Add a few LAX-SFO flights back in, the AS tie in, the New DL starts to look a little bit better.

UA faces major challanges retaining its elites, and having a major route structure out of SFO is part of the challange.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by channa
There are a ton of companies in MSP. It's even a tough upgrade on NWA sometimes, with 16+ seats in F.
Concur. The only upgrade I ever missed as NWA Top Tier was on a LAS-MSP 1AM REDEYE on a 757 with 24F seats...
Old Feb 7, 2009, 2:16 am

Post Rumor is True!

Here is the schedule:

[KVS Availability Tool 3.3.4/Platinum - Amadeus: Timetable/DE-AONL6]
Code:
SFO  San Francisco Int'l CA US [KSFO]
MSP  Minneapolis St Paul Int'l MN US [KMSP]
TUE  23 Jun 2009 - 30 Jun 2009

Carrier   Flight From Depart    To   Arrive    A/C  St   Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- ---------------------------------------------------------------- 
UA        94     SFO  12:50     MSP  18:33     319  0    1234567     03:43       -       -   04 Jun   24 Oct
And for the return

[KVS Availability Tool 3.3.4/Platinum - Amadeus: Timetable/DE-AONL6]
Code:
MSP  Minneapolis St Paul Int'l MN US [KMSP]
SFO  San Francisco Int'l CA US [KSFO]
TUE  23 Jun 2009 - 30 Jun 2009

Carrier   Flight From Depart    To   Arrive    A/C  St   Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- ---------------------------------------------------------------- 
UA        817    MSP  07:20     SFO  09:20     319  0    1234567     04:00       -       -   04 Jun   31 Oct
                         -       -
Old Feb 7, 2009, 4:15 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Holy cow!!!
Old Feb 7, 2009, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Wow, this is great. I'm usually based in SFO, but since my family live in MSP and I'm stationed in AMS for a year I was strongly considering switching over to NW. This is definitely incentive to stick with UA. Of course with my luck they'll probably cancel it before I move back.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Checking in yesterday for MSP-DEN-SFO I was told by the agent that they were starting this route. I've been asking for it for years! Finally! I even wrote to UA a few times in the last year. Now if only they'd bring back the RCC....
Old Feb 7, 2009, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
To MSP? I don't think it'll be that bad (certainly not compared to manhy other routes out of SFO).
I think it will be bad. I fly the DEN route every week and there are about 80+ people in group 1 and generally around 20 on the waitlist to upgrade.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
The only thing I question is the time of day here. I have noticed greater loads both directions in the evening - but that could just be me.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 1:50 pm

No intro fares just yet... SFO-MSP running $400+
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
The only thing I question is the time of day here. I have noticed greater loads both directions in the evening - but that could just be me.
The flight times are to connect to and from the Asia bank in SFO. Just like IAH/MCO's 1 flight a day.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
The flight times are to connect to and from the Asia bank in SFO. Just like IAH/MCO's 1 flight a day.
And AUS, BWI, DFW, SAT (CR7) ... lots of those 1x daily flights for Asian connections.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm all for any increase in destinations from MSP - maybe they'll reopen the RCC???
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
any hope for IAD-MSP

no particular reason to think it may happen, but NW's monopoly on this route should not be necessary
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
If UA wanted to bolster their Asia departures with this new route, why would they use a 319? I guess it's a fair place to start and the equipment could be changed according to the loads.....but it just seems weird.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:42 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
If UA wanted to bolster their Asia departures with this new route, why would they use a 319? I guess it's a fair place to start and the equipment could be changed according to the loads.....but it just seems weird.
Most likely because the plane, given the times is not the same aircraft and comes from elsewhere (ORD?) Don't think anywhere needs the feed into/out of MSP at those times that would justify the use of a larger plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.