Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Constant Discounts on United Door-to-Door Baggage? Not Doing so Well? No One Buying?

Constant Discounts on United Door-to-Door Baggage? Not Doing so Well? No One Buying?

Old Feb 4, 09, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by exbayern View Post

My fear is that any method of saving a penny on some Disney message boards creates a feeding frenzy. I need UA to collect that revenue because I need UA to continue to fly. Many of the passengers fully expected to pay, and were ready to pay, but through UA's contract with the local baggage handler they are not being charged.
Might I suggest that if the loss of revenue from checking bags (something that didn't exist until recently) from the minute % of UA pax checking in at a Disney resort is what cause UA to be unable to continue operations they are already screwed and might as well just shuter down. I file this "loophole" under the heading of BFD.
Old Feb 4, 09, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exbayern View Post
I see it as another service offered, and some may well utilize the service. In Germany the rail system does something similar and I have many older relatives who embraced the service.

I did just discover something that disturbs me however! There is a 'loophole' to UA checked bag fees.

Apparently when one uses the airline check in desk at a Walt Disney World resort, one is not charged check bag fees, even if one does not have an exemption.

My fear is that any method of saving a penny on some Disney message boards creates a feeding frenzy. I need UA to collect that revenue because I need UA to continue to fly. Many of the passengers fully expected to pay, and were ready to pay, but through UA's contract with the local baggage handler they are not being charged.
But, if I understand your post, that is only one station, and it's not even at the airport? How much revenue could UA lose from not collecting bag fees at Walt Disney World resorts?
Old Feb 4, 09, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by blort View Post
I'm not sure it is either, but until the agreement is made public, we'll never know. Rest assured that next time, I will use the word "possibly."

Meanwhile, my entire point was some customers benefit from the service and there do not appear to be any negative ramifications to the non-participants.
I'm not as optimistic as you are that this is a win-win deal, but without certain information being made public, we'll never know who is right.

Originally Posted by blort
And it's clearly not possible (there's that word!) that United is being reimbursed for the cost of those employees, right?
Of course it's possible, I just wouldn't presume (there's that word!) that's the case.
Old Feb 4, 09, 11:52 am

Fair enough, but even if it is 100 bags a day, that adds up considerably. And these are usually the travellers (based on my reading) who only book the lowest fare and are not loyal to any carrier.

If they are going to charge, the charge should be consistent, and not exempt passengers because they cannot collect from a local vendor. Other carriers do charge using the same process and same vendor, but UA does not.
Old Feb 4, 09, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by superEGO View Post
My guess is that FedEx is getting a discounted rate on renting cargo space on UA planes. Doesn't seem like that would be too far fetched on certain routes.

There was a page in a recent article of Money that compared the rates of sending luggage via 3rd party. The UA/Fedex rate was about $50 cheaper than the straight up Fedex rate. (150 vs 200 or something like that).

I don't think we've seen anyone talk about it here because most of us qualify for free luggage checking. But, for a large percentage of the population, they must pay..what is it now, 50 dollars a bag? more for extras? A small family could probably afford loading up two large bags and shipping them before hauling 6 small/med ones. For my family, I can't even imagine that being a possibility... but there must be some research and statics somewhere about how many bags certain people check.

Also, consider this: the more baggage that can be offloaded to another carrier, the more space is available for cargo. win-win for UA when someone takes them up on that offer... no?
Why would the 2nd largest cargo operator need cargo space on United??

My guess is the cargo industry is even hurting in this economy, so maybe they are looking for new money making opportunities as well. Fed Ex is furloughing pilots for the first time as well I hear. Whether United approached Fed Ex or vice versa, doesn't really matter. I always thought the market for this service wouldn't be very big, another United shot in the dark. We'll see if it turns out to be a success or another DIA baggage system failure.

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Feb 4, 09 at 1:10 pm
Old Feb 4, 09, 12:21 pm

Programs: 1K 2MM
With a little planning, one can just send luggage by FEDEX ground quite conveniently for a fraction of the charge of the "service" UA offers. This worked quite well for a recent IND-IAD-MUC-BUD-FRA-ORD-DEN trip. Specific FEDEX offices offer a "hold for pick up" service, and most hotels are willing to do the same.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: