Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to check Econ+ availability

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
How to check Econ+ availability

United newbie here. I'm flying BOS-PEK in July and United seems to offer best combination of price and times for me. Is there any way to check whether Econ+ seats are available before I actually book the tickets?
Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Drummer
United newbie here. I'm flying BOS-PEK in July and United seems to offer best combination of price and times for me. Is there any way to check whether Econ+ seats are available before I actually book the tickets?
Thanks.
Post the dates and flight numbers, and I'll take a look.

(because unless you are 3P (or higher) or have EPA, you will not be able to see the seats).

Last edited by jhayes_1780; Feb 4, 2009 at 8:34 am
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Flying in July? Unlikely that E+ would be sold out now.
But unless you qualify for E+ you can't get one unless you pay extra, and that option may or may not be offered now.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Post the dates and flight numbers, and I'll take a look.

(because unless you are 3P (or higher) or have EPA, you will not be able to see the seats).
Thanks a lot. Flying out July 19, returning July 27 (but have some flexibility on the return date. I'm looking at flt 897 (BOS-PEK via DCA) then Flt 898 (PEK-BOS via DCA).
Other flights where the travel time isn't too much longer would also be acceptable. Two passengers.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Thanks a lot. Flying out July 19, returning July 27 (but have some flexibility on the return date. I'm looking at flt 897 (BOS-PEK via DCA) then Flt 898 (PEK-BOS via DCA).
Other flights where the travel time isn't too much longer would also be acceptable. Two passengers.
I think you mean IAD.

But anyway: both of the long haul portions have every seat in E+ available (as of now).

Also, you don't ask but: FYI 898 would book as a direct (not non-stop) flight so be careful, if you dook it as the direct flight you will get about 500 less miles then if they were booked as seperate flights.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I think you mean IAD.

But anyway: both of the long haul portions have every seat in E+ available (as of now).

Also, you don't ask but: FYI 898 would book as a direct (not non-stop) flight so be careful, if you dook it as the direct flight you will get about 500 less miles then if they were booked as seperate flights.
Right, IAD. Thanks for all the info.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 9:36 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It should be relatively easy for a non-elite to see E+ availability for a particular flight.

Start the booking process (on united.com),
select flights,
start the purchase process and if E+ seats are available,
there should be the opportunity to see the seating map prior to making the final purchasing decision.
So you do not have to purchase blindly.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It should be relatively easy for a non-elite to see E+ availability for a particular flight.

Start the booking process (on united.com),
select flights,
start the purchase process and if E+ seats are available,
there should be the opportunity to see the seating map prior to making the final purchasing decision.
So you do not have to purchase blindly.
Thanks. That's useful info. At the moment, Expedia is showing the same flights at about $400 less per person. Any other disadvantages of buying through Expedia?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks. That's useful info. At the moment, Expedia is showing the same flights at about $400 less per person. Any other disadvantages of buying through Expedia?
Nope, unless they decide they no longer want to honor the fare (but that's another story for another thread).
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Not sure you can do the per flight purchase for E+ on Expedia or that you can add that afterwards. Although you could get the annual pass.

The $400 less per passenger sounds high, are they the same flights and flight numbers? same fare class? what does a phone agent offer?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Not sure you can do the per flight purchase for E+ on Expedia or that you can add that afterwards. Although you could get the annual pass.
I think you can, as long as you get your UA confirmation number. When you pull up your trip on my itineraries, there is a new button titled "Travel Options". I have not clicked on it before, but I bet that gives you the choice to buy an E+ seat.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

The $400 less per passenger sounds high, are they the same flights and flight numbers? same fare class? what does a phone agent offer?
Very interesting. Since this morning, the prices on UAL.com have dropped about $400, so at this moment, they're almost identical to Expedia's. That definitely wasn't true this morning or yesterday evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.