Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

So how many total miles do people here travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2001, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Location: SYD: Fly and fly... UA UGS 1K MM, SQ PPS, SPG/PC Platinum

Looking at all the collection of status attached the posters here, eg. UA 1K, AA Platinum, DL PM , BA Gold, LH Senator etc. etc.

I ask, are people being honest and are all stating their current status? Or many are ex-status?

So who has the most unbelievable collection of VFF status listed here? Any nominations?

------------------
Cheers,
W
Old Feb 2, 2001, 6:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive
I've wondered the same thing. Seems like you'd have to be in the air nearly 24 hours a day. I flew a measely 100,000 or so in 2000 and I was on the road a lot.

People with frequent international travel would have the opportunity to rack up the miles pretty fast, though.

------------------
AS MVP Gold, UA PremEx, HHonors Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Old Feb 2, 2001, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
A MILLION FLOWN MILES A YEAR is the serious league, and not unheard of it seems!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/003760.html

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Feb 2, 2001, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

But after a million miles in one year, would he/she still have the energy and time to talk flying on this board?

I agree, 200k isn't that difficult to get for Oz based travellers. I was hitting the 200-300k mark going to Europe or US at least once a month at one stage. And in the right class and flying every fortnight, you'll be getting close without killing yourself.

But how many of those guys actually grace this board I ask?

------------------
Cheers,
W
Old Feb 2, 2001, 8:47 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Hey MillionMiles, for a kid with only 13 posts on FlyerTalk, you sure have got the technique down!!!!!
Old Feb 2, 2001, 9:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I currently hold the following:

UA 1K
AA Platinum
US Gold Preferred
CO Silver Elite

HHonors Diamond
Starwood Platinum
Marriott Platinum

This is about as good as it will get for me. I lose CO elite at the end of the month, although I am "running" to retain my UA 1K before it expires on March 31 (using the 25K extension period).

Incidentally, those who have the special AMEX card (I do not) are rewarded with 2nd tier status on US, CO, and DL so it is possible to achieve 2nd tier status or higher on 5 major US airlines flying only 100K miles per year.
Old Feb 2, 2001, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MillionMiles .... someone had a thread in recent months on those here and travel miles. Seems in a nutshell that 200-300K is highish end, but not too uncommon. A number on these boards do that - auh20, Gaucho and Transpac are 3 that come immediately to mind, and the others I am unsure of unless someone remembers that thread!

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Feb 2, 2001, 10:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
add stimpy

but, before expecting the members of our community to share their personal mileage informations with you and the board, wouldn't it be nice(er) MillionMiles to inform yourself here about your flight habits(miles and about yourselves in general? I am looking forward to learn from you on our board. Welcome!
Old Feb 2, 2001, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys, don't take my post the wrong way. I have just been amazed by the number of posters with nice collections of status here on this board. And hence wondered if these are all current. Nothing more. Or if these were life-time accumulation at one time or another, that's no shame either. It's still quite an achievement too.

I think the answer of 200-300k being relatively common is a fair answer to my question. 100k for UA, 50k for DL and another 100k for AA etc would go a long way to keep those status current.

But yet again, what's are miles and status? We just all enjoy flying and rip all the benefits of a FF/VFF, right? Anyone disagree with that?

------------------
Cheers,
W

[This message has been edited by MillionMiles (edited 02-03-2001).]
Old Feb 3, 2001, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hope someone can remember the thread, but I seem to recall the ones mentioned above did those high miles just on UA? I seem to recall CescoG did a surprising number of miles too?

Be handy if you have an email address showing, and then folks could pass on comments direct if warranted.

As to your twice asked question as to whether status shown is current for each user - I think yes. Folks on these boards have a pretty good idea of the travel patterns of other flyers. To fib about it would be pretty easy to detect, and be absolutely pointless. If I (or Rudi for example) were to claim to be GP or CP etc it would be laughed out of town as we basically fly neither airline, and those regulars here realise that. But ask a Lufthansa question and Rudi is your main man etc.

I have never myself seen a claimed Elite level I think is untrue or well out of date. (Others may enlighten me perhaps!)

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 02-03-2001).]
Old Feb 3, 2001, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks Rudi.

As was indicated, I'm pretty much a dedicated UA flyer based in SYD. Been mostly long haul to Europe or US for work. I was doing real paid 200+k/yr until late last year due to family reasons. But have still kept up over 100k/yr. Not sure about this coming year though. It'll depend on work and family situations (new baby).

Well, I enjoyed the travels and liked UA's services for what it's worth. Took my first UA flight in 1993 and got addicted by their MP program (great deal for my family but bad deal for the addiction). Also enjoyed the challenge of creating unusual routings but certainly not to the standard of RichardMel and some of you guys.

Well, I hope this is an adequate introduction of my story. And my only bit of weight on UA is hitting the million mark last year. By the sound of what's being posted here, this is just the beginning of life on UA for me...

As to being called a kid... Hey, isn't it natural for a kid to ask some innocent and honest questions?

------------------
Cheers,
W
Old Feb 3, 2001, 9:13 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 2 Million Mile Flyer, LifeTime Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I use to fly between 200,000 and 400,000 miles a year with three airlines.It gets old real quick.
I now fly UA as much as possible.I have been a 1k with them for seven years.
I am the following:Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond. I use my Diners Club first and my Ax Platinum second, and plan three Visa/MC.
Old Feb 3, 2001, 9:20 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
thank you MillionMiles

I am Senator (LH) and every second year (this year 2001) UA 1K (every other year 'only' UA Premier Executive).

I have no status at all with our swiss carrier SR.

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 02-03-2001).]
Old Feb 3, 2001, 10:53 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
For about a one year period (back in 1985) I flew about 500,000/year *all* domestic. I went from LA to the East Coast two times a week, every week (I was home for 6 days over Xmas - never home a full week). I got to go to various cities. Normal itin: Sun aft LAX-JFK. Tues eve JFK-LAX. Weds noon LAX-DCA Thrs eve DCA-IAH. Fri eve IAH-LAX. I had status on about five airlines, including 3 on which I rarely ever flew. I don't know how they learned about me but UA, among others, would comp me to status without a request and without meaningful miles. (I now have lifetime 2.25 million AA, 200,000 UA).
Old Feb 3, 2001, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB
I fly far less than most people on this board but last year, had status with quite a few of the US majors.

When I first made 1K two years ago, DL and CO sent me nice letters bumping me to Silver Medallion and Silver status respectively, along with a fistful of upgrades. I still do not know how they got hold of a UA mailing list.

I have not flown CO even once since 1999. I fly DL not more than 5-6 a year, when work/schedule commitments compel me to fly non-stop to/from ATL (done it twice in 2001 already, unfortunately). Despite that, I carried elite cards on both these airlines in late-1999 and 2000. This year, CO and DL have wised up to the fact that I am a lost cause, and have not tried to lure me so far.

As for AA, I tend to avoid them domestically because most of my work takes me to Midwestern towns that AA serves via American Eagle while UA offers bigger jet service ex-ORD. I earned my AA Platinum status last year through a combination of things:
1) During SFH, I was often re-booked on AA to/from ORD courtesy UA's cancellations
2) I fly to South Asia and/or the Middle East a few times a year, and BA is my preferred carrier for that route.
3) On a few last-minute long-haul trips that I had to take in early 2000, between a combination of BKK, BOM, SIN, SYD and AKL, I could not get last minute reservations on SQ or TG in C class, and had to fly CX or QF

Now that UA is resuming service to DEL, I'll probably switch back to UA on my South Asia flights: I'd be surprised if I made even Gold on AA for next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.