Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The consolidated “It is worth my $$$, Miles, Points, Hassle, Etc?” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated “It is worth my $$$, Miles, Points, Hassle, Etc?” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:56 am

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
LAX-CDG

What's the general consensus here:

Flights in mid March from LAX-CDG are approx $550 roundtrip. Flights that are eligible for an SWU are about $1050.

Is it worth the extra $500 to upgrade? I know it depends on the induvidial, but I'm trying to get some feedback here.

Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by chrisinacton
What's the general consensus here:

Flights in mid March from LAX-CDG are approx $550 roundtrip. Flights that are eligible for an SWU are about $1050.

Is it worth the extra $500 to upgrade? I know it depends on the induvidial, but I'm trying to get some feedback here.

Thanks!
Wanted to do SFO-CDG myself around mid march... in the end I booked SFO-LHR nonstop in V or W for $712.11. The cost of an upgradable fare was a factor. SW cleared for both flights as soon as I applied them. Planning to overnight in London (have dinner etc...) and catching a train to Paris next day. Train tickets thru the chunnel are inexpensive if purchased in advance. Also look for specials.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
That's a great idea! I much prefer LAX-LHR non-stop, having dinner there, then taking the train over.

Thanks!!
Old Jan 23, 2009, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by PTahCha
In my experience, JFK-SFO is harder to upgrade than JFK-LAX
I would expand that and say that XXX-SFO is harder to upgrade than XXX-LAX, where XXX could be anywhere.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I would expand that and say that XXX-SFO is harder to upgrade than XXX-LAX, where XXX could be anywhere.
This is my first flight to Europe in many yrs (Last time I used SWU any fare could be upgraded). Sounds like I got lucky to get a confirmed LHR-SFO?? Booked in early Jan for March 18-24 trip.

I figured with the fare difference being an extra $200 for the *possibility* to upgrade would be worth it. Was pleasantly surprised to have them confirm instantly. That just shows you that my threshold for expecting 1K benefits is set rather low My distant memories of being CX diamond had already faded.......
Old Jan 23, 2009, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by chrisinacton
That's a great idea! I much prefer LAX-LHR non-stop, having dinner there, then taking the train over.

Thanks!!
You're most welcome!
Old Jan 23, 2009, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by hobo13
I think the UA wiki is by far the best on FT, but it could always get better.
The wiki isn't on FT, it's on FlyerGuide... same owners, but different site entirely. As for the quality, IMHO the AA wiki is actually better than the UA one, at least in terms of content (though not organization)... and I say this having spent many hours trying to improve the UA wiki. It needs a lot more work... some articles are excellent, and some have not enough content to be useful.

That said, I would not recommend an "is this worth it" article or category on the wiki. IMHO the purpose of the wiki is for factual and objective information, not for opinions or other subjective conjecture.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 6:39 pm

Question

I made for Premier for the first time and was possibly looking to treat myself to some upgrades on the next two flights.

Since I have no e500's to burn to upgrade so I was thinking of buying 4 for $200.

I was thinking of using 2 on the ORD-IAD UA950 (777) this next month.

Since I will be flying to LHR in March I will pass 10,000 EQM then and get another 4 e500s then.

So what it comes down to, is it worth basically $100 to upgrade to Business on the 777 from ORD-IAD?
Old Jan 23, 2009, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Originally Posted by kannon99
I made for Premier for the first time and was possibly looking to treat myself to some upgrades on the next two flights.

Since I have no e500's to burn to upgrade so I was thinking of buying 4 for $200.

Since I will be flying to LHR in March I will pass 10,000 EQM then and get another 4 e500s then.

So what it comes down to, is it worth basically $100 to upgrade to Business on the 777 from ORD-IAD?

It's a bummer that this flight isn't 999 miles for your 2 upgrades. That said, YES, it's worth it if you haven't flown biz before. It's a nice little flight with likely delays possible on either end. Add to that that your upgrade will likely clear, and I'd would say yes again.

However, if you do longer legs on other flights, perhaps save them for future use (you will have opportunity to get a 3-class flight from ORD on other flights.)
Old Jan 23, 2009, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

I wouldn't pay $100 to upgrade such a short flight. But since this is your first time upfront, I'll make an exception.

FYI, you can't use your e-500's to upgrade on international flights.
================================================== ====

Here's what I don't like about so many topics being discussed:
Unless you're paying attention, and unless you use the 'quote' feature, we'll lose track of who is responding to what.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Here's what I don't like about so many topics being discussed:
Unless you're paying attention, and unless you use the 'quote' feature, we'll lose track of who is responding to what.
Agreed. Does anyone have any way to get around this? Perhaps quote the original poster?

I dunno. Just thought it might be a good idea to consolidate these things!
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA-1P, HHonors - Silver

I can't tell you whether the $100 bucks is worth it, but I will say don't by the E-500's ahead of time. Go ahead and request the upgrade (even if you have none in your account). If the upgrade clears you can purchase the e-500's at that time. If you purchase them, the clock on their expiration starts ticking right away and if your upgrade doesn't clear you may kick yourself later...

-K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.