Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In response to Horizon's "Sweeeet" post...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2001, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

In response to Horizon's "Sweeeet" post...

In his post, he says theat he calls back United when he see's the fare that he has paid for a roundtip has dropped. Instead of re-tciketing, costing $75.00 each time, he asks for certificates in the money the fare dropped.

Is this standard procedure?

Do they do it often?

Thank-you

ZACH
Old Jan 15, 2001, 3:32 pm
jet

Programs: UA MM; DL SPG HH Gold
Yes. They do it all the time.
Old Jan 15, 2001, 7:15 pm

And you can usually do it over the phone. They will mail you the fare difference in the form of a certificate.
Old Jan 15, 2001, 7:24 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle

I gotta get in on this practice... I guess this only works if you ticket directly with UA (no travel agents). Can you do this with efares, or are those left out of re-faring?

If there's a thread with the entire procedure explained (i.e. buying higher fare, then re-faring), I would really appreciate someone posting it. Thanks!!

------------------
Gaucho100K
Old Jan 15, 2001, 8:02 pm

It works with travel agents as well. They don't like to go through it but you just have to insist. In my business travel I have to deal with the company-specified travel agency. Drives me crazy when I have to call them and point out that the fare on my tickets went down and I am due for a refund. After bickering for a little bit, they would usually issue an MCO ( a credit in a form of a voucher for future travel )for the difference in fares. The irritating part is that they would typically retain about 40% of the MCO value for their "service". Crazy!
It is much easier to deal directly with United in my personal travel. And more economical too.
Old Jan 15, 2001, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
Gaucho, don't know if there's complete thread on this but it is a snap...once you have verified that the lower fare is available on the precise flights/dates you have already been ticketed on. That is the trick as PremEx noted. Once the agent sees that the fare is available on your flights, and you voice the request for a voucher, it's all in their hands. Sometimes you have to be very timely after a fare is posted lower than the one you purchased.
Old Jan 16, 2001, 3:50 am
Original Member

I did this on a SAN-LIH fare that dropped briefly about $250 last fall.

When I called UA, the rep told me that my flights now booked out higher than I originally ticketed them at. After much discussion with her, she asked if I wanted to talk to a supervisor..I said yes & she came back 5 minutes later & said she could give me two $250 vouchers, no cash back. That was what I originally asked for (vouchers)! So I got the vouchers, even though my particular flights now showed a higher fare..
Old Jan 16, 2001, 10:29 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Sorry, Im lost here.

But if you do it via a travel agent, dont they refund your credit card? (isnt an MCO like a voucher for future airline travel?).
Old Jan 16, 2001, 12:10 pm

For Gaucho100K: When I deal with my corporate travel agency, even if the ticket was charged to my corp. credit card, the credit for difference in fares is always in a form of a voucher for future travel. The travel agency uses the term MCO, whatever that means.
Old Jan 16, 2001, 7:37 pm

Thanks for all the tips, Ive downloaded UCX software and am giving it a try... lots of features, so much to learn. Thanks again to all!!

------------------
Gaucho100K
Old Jan 17, 2001, 7:59 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Gaucho-- If you take the voucher for future travel, UA will not charge the otherwise- applicable change fee on a restricted ticket. If you want the cash/credit card refund, they will usually deduct the applicable fee. (One time I received a deduction-less refund, but I'm not sure it was deliberate.)
I, too, have had travel agents issue the voucher. I've also had UA mail the vouchers (which generally takes 4-6 weeks). Most recently, I called UA, had them note it in the record, and got the vouchers at the airport when I checked in.
Old Jan 17, 2001, 3:05 pm

Thanks for the additional info. I assume version 3.0 is the latest one available... I was surprised to see a 1997 date on some of the entries in the help menus.
Old Jan 18, 2001, 3:48 am

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
I think the word is they stopped updating and supporting the software because of the desire to push us to the website.

btw, MCO stands for Miscellaneous Charges Order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.