Wiki Posts
Search

Segment run from ORD to LAX or SAN

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2001, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
Segment run from ORD to LAX or SAN

Please help me. I still can't figure out how to do a search on United.com, Expedia or other sites to find a cheap mileage run from ORD to LAX or SAN with many (and I mean many) segments. In other words, flying ORD-STL-DEN-SLC-LAX-SAN-PHO-DEN-MSP-ORD. How do I do this. Any help is appreciated. And, by the way, I'm kind of stupid, so please spell out search parameters very clearly. Pretend that you are talking to a 4 year old.
Old Jan 15, 2001, 8:36 pm
In Memoriam

There's another thread here where a fellow did 22 segments in a day or two, something like SMF-SFO-LAX-SNA and back, and UA has denied the credits. So you may want to keep that possibility in mind.

If you do decide to go, I sat years ago with a fellow who had qualified for a month of unlimited travel by touching down in something like 30 states within 45 days. (This was UA's "50 states" promotion, when they became the first airline to fly to all 50 states. First prize - for hitting all 50 - was a year of unlimited first class travel; the MP newsletter featured a photo of the 30 or so people who qualified.

At any rate, he was from MSP. He booked MSP-SFO, with a change in ORD. The ORD-SFO rules allowed a change in DEN, no charge. The ORD-DEN allowed a stop in OMA, no charge. The DEN-SFO allowed a stop in SLC. You get the picture: he flew MSP-ORD-Des Moines-OMA-DEN-SLC-RNO-SFO, all for the same price as MSP-SFO. I believe he did all this through a travel agent. Not sure I'd want to do it through United Reservations - sure to get flagged!
Old Jan 16, 2001, 12:39 am

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
Premex2000: In my experience, you can book up to an 8 segment trip on united.com. First, you need to know what class of service is required for the fare you are seeking between your origin and destination. I usually use Travelocity to determine the fare basis and class of service.

You need to have your united.com profile set at expert so you can see available classes of service.

I had a trip last year where I needed to get documents signed by family members in St. Louis, Dallas and Baltimore. Using the multi-city option on united com, I searched for flights between LAS-DFW, DFW-BWI, BWI-STL and STL-LAS which showed space availability in the class of service needed and with no more than 4 hours between connections (more than 4 hours on a domestic itinerary is a stopover and usually changes the fare basis).

My final itinerary was LAS-DEN-DFW-ORD-BWI-ORD-STL-DEN-LAS. The fare was calculated as an LAS-BWI-LAS trip, plus the additional PFCs and segment taxes.

As you are already at the ORD hub, it may be a little more difficult for you to go to SAN or LAX with 4 legs, but could try (for example), Chicago-Salt Lake-San Diego which might result in ORD-DEN-SLC-SFO-SAN. How it prices, I haven't checked.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.