Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Certs taken at the time of ticketing/upgrade

Old Jan 11, 01, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum

Recently, I made a reservation to be ticketed in person (had a $300 cert to cash in). So I went to ONT to purchase the ticket, I made the purchase then asked about confirmed upgrades. They were available on all legs, she asked to see my certs I was using.. I showed her the two... she took them.. made notes in my reservation that the cert was collected and said that I would not need to present them at check in, and to surrender them now.

This has never happened to me.. I called back reservations and they verified that the certs were surrendered. I am wondering what they do if we cancel or the flight gets cancelled or downgraded. Would you have insisted on holding on to your certs to the day of departure?

On another note, is this a way to "recycle certs" (cert about to expire.. use it on a ticket you need to cancel.. then cancel the ticket.. will MP send a new cert??)???

(unrelated, have 3 Systemwides expiring in 3/01 and no international trips.. any ideas)
Old Jan 11, 01, 12:01 pm

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
I recently had the same experience where the ticket agent wanted to collect the HK49s when I exchanged certs for the e-tkt. I had the same concerns, what if I cancel the trip. However, the agent said I could keep them for submission at the gate when checking in for the flight after she entered the numbers into the PNR.
Old Jan 11, 01, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I would ask the CTO to print off a note from the record that the cert was collected.

At any rate, if the flight is cancelled, etc. you should get get the equiv. # of downgrade certs which is just as good as an HK49.
Old Jan 11, 01, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

they do this to me at the CTO. But when I arrive at the airport, that is when I give them the certs. They note the record with them at the CTO but give them back.
Old Jan 11, 01, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I would imagine your HK49's could be redeposited electronically.
Old Jan 11, 01, 1:34 pm

This is one of the many reasons the E-UPGRADE system was established. They can do this.

However, keep checking it, as this is new, and there are still glitches.

Also, have your CTO print a note out too (like the others said)...just in case.

Hope this helps!

If you need a place for the Systemwides...I'm awaitng...just kidding! =)
Old Jan 11, 01, 2:56 pm

Programs: AGR Select +
S[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nevada1K:
[B]I recently had the same experience where the ticket agent wanted to collect the HK49s when I exchanged certs for the e-tkt.

What is a HK49? I know it's a silly question, but I do not know what it is.
Thanks.

Old Jan 11, 01, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Platinum-Bonvoyage, Hilton Diamond
Originally posted by Shanghai:

What is a HK49? I know it's a silly question, but I do not know what it is.
Thanks.

It is a confirmed North American upgrade issued to 1K customers at the rate of 2 or 4 certificates per quarter as long as at least 10,000 miles have been flown during that period. The "49" refers to the fact that it can be used for travel to all 50 states (or at least those to which UA actually flies) except Hawaii. The designation "HK49" actually appears printed on the cert.
Old Jan 11, 01, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is nothing new. Paper Confirmed North American (HK49s) could always, upon request but subject to the agents willingness and savvy abililty, be collected prior to your travel day and noted in your record.

My CatmanDo Trois tickets for this coming March are done this way. I've never had a problem upon check-in. The record just shows a valid certificate authorization number already in the record (the same type of notation as if you used miles for the upgrade).

Now you have to ask yourself, why would anyone want to do it this way and what are the advantages?
Old Jan 11, 01, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Platinum-Bonvoyage, Hilton Diamond
Originally posted by PremEx:

Now you have to ask yourself, why would anyone want to do it this way and what are the advantages?
I know why I would do it. Last year, I was in possession of some certs that were about to expire so I tried to turn them in at a CTO in PDX but was politely refused. Lucky for me, the RCC looked the other way a bit on the actual day of the flight.
Old Jan 12, 01, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LarryU...
Old Jan 12, 01, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I think I understand :-)
Old Jan 12, 01, 12:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I don't think we always need to answer the question out loud.
Old Jan 12, 01, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
I had a bit of a scare Thanksgiving when I upgraded mom on a cert at the CTO. It was noted in the PNR, but upon checkin (at the LAX Shuttle 1K checkin) the inexperienced agent couldn't find the note in the record. She had to call a supervisor (and subject to 5+ minutes on hold while our flight is boarding). It did clear up once the supervisor checked, however.

I say she was inexperienced because while on hold she also asked for separate 500 mile certs from me for LAX-SFO (1k comp), SFO-ORD and ORD-STL rather than totalling LAX-STL. I politely explained to her why my way was better, and she finally concurs after checking with another agent who happens by. I hope she learned a thing or two, as I had!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: