When is UA going to kill Ted?

Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:17 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
. . . stupid management idea . . .
No kidding. I am in MIA right now. I just bought my ticket home for $619 oneway on AA booked into P-class. If UA operated the route with proper equipment, that premium fare would be theirs. Too bad.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:18 pm

Programs: My posts represent my personal opinions based on public information and not the official views of UA
Originally Posted by Ari
No kidding. I am in MIA right now. I just bought my ticket home for $619 oneway on AA booked into P-class. If UA operated the route with proper equipment, that premium fare would be theirs. Too bad.
...I'd think UA would also need to offer frequency comparable to AA, but AA can financially justify more frequency because of the onward Caribbean/Latin America connections from their MIA hub.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:24 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UpInTheSky
...I'd think UA would also need to offer frequency comparable to AA, but AA can financially justify more frequency because of the onward Caribbean/Latin America connections from their MIA hub.
I appreciate that sentiment, but the two flights UA offers are just fine for me (one in the am; one in the pm).

I was happy with the exPlus service to MIA, personally. You just can't beat that 1-2 seating configuration! Nice clean E170's compared to dirty old AA 757/MD80's. Maybe it will come back after the "heavy" season down here.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gre
You in a hurry to have the size of E+ reduced and the seats moved closer together (yea, yea, I know we'll be getting an F cabin, whoopee!, but TED's 36" pitch was good enough for me for flights like LAX-LAS)?
Seriously, for a less than hour flight, you would rather have a 36" pitch vs. 34" or 35" in exchange for the possibility of an upgrade? I've never even noticed that Ted's pitch is bigger.

Whatever people say about F on UA, it is still preferable to being one of a hundred in the back. In exchange for a likely otherwise unusable e500 (I've got about 24 of these) I get:

* free alcohol, though not recommended to Vegas
* probably use of the closet (which should be restored in a typical A320 config)
* guaranteed front of the plane seating
* larger seat (and 38+" pitch)

I would gladly trade that for an inch or two of guaranteed pitch in the back. I understand an upgrade isn't guaranteed, but on a route like LAX-LAS, there aren't a ton of 1Ks or other elites flying anyway.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:10 pm
LAS

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Hertz #1 Gold, SPG
Flew LAX-LAS today where the plane was painted mainline, the safety video was mainline, still only a cup of soda, but for me, the first time the TED sign was off of the bulkhead (although the tape that held the sign in place was still there).
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:33 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Liz
According to the company Ted is gone. We are not to mention it.
Let us never speak of TED again, except when it comes time to terminate some management.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:54 am

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Has "TED" at least been removed from boarding passes at LAS?
As of this past sunday, the Mr. Chickens still have "United" and "Ted" on the screen.

Originally Posted by PCTraveler
* free alcohol, though not recommended to Vegas
In the words of Bluto, "Why not?"
Old Jan 20, 2009, 1:21 pm

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by gengar
The difference is that LAS<->ORD flights are always full or overbooked. It's just that the people filling E+ are discount ticket lottery winners. That's why I think UA will mainline LAS last, because there are so few elites anyway (to fill upgrades) and they'll lose revenue seats on every flight.
There used to be many more elites in Vegas... They flew the coop when TED came. I came back to UA when I heard TED was dying...
Old Jan 20, 2009, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Spiff
Let us never speak of TED again, except when it comes time to terminate some management.
Forget the Glen Must Go bracelets. We need Glen: TerminaTED.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I noticed yesterday that the splash screen on Mr. Chicken still has a TED plane on it.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Spiff
The lead TEDster, Sean Donohue, was shown the door back in June '08.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
... We need Glen: TerminaTED ...
How about: Glen: Term in a TED ?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by debua1k
There used to be many more elites in Vegas... They flew the coop when TED came. I came back to UA when I heard TED was dying...
I know - I was one of them, and likewise I've come back. (Admittedly I started to divert some of my business to N7 pre-TED because I had to fly to NYC a lot and preferred nonstops.) But it doesn't change that mainlining LAS reduces revenue seats and that's why I believe the typical UA beancounting management will hold out longest on restoring F to LAS, because they think they have the most to lose here. Hopefully I'll be wrong, but I don't hold out much hope. We all know that if UA was smart, TED would never have happened.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I know it is going to be a long time before the new configuration. However, in the mean time they should do what Lufthansa has done on some of their Airbuses by sectioning off a first class section of about 10 rows, placing a drink tray to take up the middle seat (for the free booze) and serve free meals. I would definitely use my 500-milers and be quite satisfied.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 8:56 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
I truly believe that TED was what opened the door to Southwest in Denver. If both UA/TED and F9 are not going to have first class, then Southwest had a great opportunity to come in and compete. They did and now they are #3 in Denver.

I was on a flight with a TED flight number from DEN to LAS recently. When the plane pulled up, it was the new white with blue stripes paint job. WOW, a non-TED plane, I thought?

But, on-board, it was still TED. On the back wall was www.flyted.com. On the front wall "TED." Still had the TED video (woman telling us that TED wants us to be safe). TED seating configuration.

TED is dying but has not gone quietly into the night yet. I'd bet it will take at least a couple of years to get rid of all signs of TED.

Having experienced no change fees and no bag fees over at Southwest, however, it will be pretty hard to get me to come back when the planes are re-UNITED.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.