Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upgrade with miles; standby for earlier flight; get coach. What happens?

Old Dec 29, 2000, 2:08 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

A friend of mine is flying to Hawaii in March, and has upgraded with miles (15,000 miles each way). His outbound flight is later than he wanted, though, and he's considering standing by for an earlier one. Assuming he's successful, though, it's likely to be in coach. How hard is it to get United to refund the miles in that situation, or would the gate agent more likely give him a downgrade certificate (good for Hawaii as well, but with a one-year limitation).

Any experience or suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2000, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
They can easily recredit the miles to his account.
Old Dec 30, 2000, 1:16 am

I have had this happen many times and United has always credited the mileage back to my account right away. I do however tell them at the gate to remember to credit the mileage back just to be sure.

------------------
UA, AA, Starwood, Hyatt and more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.