Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

In United, We Trust - Most Common UA Mistruths

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In United, We Trust - Most Common UA Mistruths

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Your call is important to us."
Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:44 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by transpac-canuck
It always irks me when I hear, "This flight is very, very full." Full is an all or nothing proposition. If the flight is full, there are no empty seats. If there are empty seats, the flight is not full.
No. "Full" isn't necessarily an all or nothing proposition. A flight can be "half full," for example. Similarly, it can be "somewhat full," "very full," or "completely full." Actually, in the airline world, a flight can even be "more than completely full," i.e., overbooked. Although it would more likely be a GA or CSR calling a flight more than completely full, because by the time the FA making any announcements the passenger list has usually been cut down to capacity.

"Very, very full" is a bit repetitive but still makes sense as meaning "completely or almost completely full." Because fullness is not a binary, it does make sense to say "the flight is half full" or "the flight is very full." In contrast, for example, an ordinary household lighbulb is binary, so it doesn't make sense to say "the light is half on" or "the light is very on."

And if the FA adding a second "very" means that (1) I don't have to rearrange another pax's coat, sweaters, and shopping bags in overhead bin just to get my suitcase in (when meanwhile, that pax's underseat storage space is...surprise, surprise...EMPTY) and (2) I don't have to boot the middle-seat pax out of my window seat, then I'm all for the FA announcing that the flight is "very, very full." I don't think this particular announcement is a power trip at all.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
And that horrible cliche, from every single airline..

"Sit back, relax and have a pleasant...

OOPS WE DIDN'T REALLY MEAN SIT BACK - Bring your seatback upright NOW"
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:01 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
No. "Full" isn't necessarily an all or nothing proposition. A flight can be "half full," for example.
Akin to the "last and final" boarding call.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by hiflyer66
Agreed, the HNL based FAs are kamaaina. They're actually friendly, unlike those at every other UA base.
As are the CSR's in the Honolulu phone center. I try to call midday PST - seems I have a much better chance to reach them. Nothing beats the Hawaiian accent (and subsequent competence) when trying to do complicated things over the phone.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by dgwright99
"This is a full flight....." (with a dozen or so empty seats)
Or, my favorite, "This is a VERY full flight." Huh? Very full?
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by ChicagoUnited
Or, my favorite, "This is a VERY full flight." Huh? Very full?
That sounds "somewhat unique" doesn't it?
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by fzwinter
That sounds "somewhat unique" doesn't it?
Yes! Bravo!
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:36 pm

"We benchmark our international competitors to determine what our customers should expect from us for both product and service.
We recognize our customers, like our investors, have increasing choices, and we want them to choose United.
We begin with getting the basics right; comparing performance to the best airlines and looking for best practice beyond our industry."

- Glenn Tilton, The Great Leader
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
You still have a choice: you could charter a Part 121 flight as needed, or fractional jet.

It seems to me that it would be more apt to say "Because of where I have chosen to live, I have no choice in Part 135 scheduled air carriers."
The poster would also have the option to walk or drive or charter a rail car. Or maybe backstroke the whole way, if there was a river.

Seriously, when a poster on the United forum on FT says that they have no choice since UA is the only carrier serving their city, we all know what the context the poster is referring to. I bet it's more likely folks realize that than know what "part 135" or "part 121" was.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:08 pm

Fractional wouldn't actually be an airline, anyway. The reality is, that within a 100 mile driving radius of my destination, I don't have a choice of airlines.

Another favorite half-truth, esp. regarding UX operations into SFO - "this flight is delayed for ATC reasons". The reality is, if they'd operated the two other sections that didn't even touch SFO on-time (usually a crew or mx delay), they wouldn't have lost their slot.

Frequently, I'll see the flight that becomes my flight "delayed for aircraft servicing" and then my flight goes ATC.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:12 pm

How about "the award winning Hemispheres magazine", of which you of course have your "personal" copy. Haven't you always wondered who gave the award?
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Get back to us after the next in-flight emergency or emergency landing or survivable crash.
In all fairness to UA, more than half of the passengers on UA232 survived.

Here is one that I often hear when I want to re-route my itinerary when there is bad weather in ORD:
"All our flights to everywhere are full today. Sorry."
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:30 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by hiflyer66
<snip> unlike those at every other UA base.
And still light years ahead of 75% of US FAs, particularly those from the original US

EmailKid
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by emailkid
And still light years ahead of 75% of US FAs, particularly those from the original US

EmailKid
You mean from the time of the original 13 colonies?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.