Search

award fees inquiry

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL
award fees inquiry

I've looked but haven not come up with a satisfactory answer, so here it goes:

If a 1K books an award for 2pax on one PNR where the 1K uses miles from his/her account and the other traveler uses his/her own miles are both passengers exempt from award fees (ticketing fee, close in fee, change fee) or just the 1K on his ticket? I ask because many other fees (baggage, confirmed standby,...) are waived for passengers traveling with a 1K on one PNR.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by germansoks
I've looked but haven not come up with a satisfactory answer, so here it goes:

If a 1K books an award for 2pax on one PNR where the 1K uses miles from his/her account and the other traveler uses his/her own miles are both passengers exempt from award fees (ticketing fee, close in fee, change fee) or just the 1K on his ticket? I ask because many other fees (baggage, confirmed standby,...) are waived for passengers traveling with a 1K on one PNR.
You cannot book on from different accounts and have the same PNR.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I know the phone fee will be waived. I believe since everyone is on the same PNR the other fees are waived as well.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
are you sure? I did this 2 years ago on an award to LHR and used my miles for me and my dads miles for him. We were both 1Ks at the time.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I am very sure that you can.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
And I am positive you cannot.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
well, for what it's worth I called UA up and two agents confirmed that two ppl can be on one award PNR with their own miles as long as both passengers have enough miles to cover their own tickets.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
well, for what it's worth I called UA up and two agents confirmed that two ppl can be on one award PNR with their own miles as long as both passengers have enough miles to cover their own tickets.
Ah yes.. the "an agent told me" line.... I wouldn't cash that check quite yet (thats a dig at UA , not you germansoks ).

But seriously, I tried doing this a couple of times and each time I was shot down.

If you have success doing this, please report it here.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:54 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
two agents confirmed that two ppl can be on one award PNR with their own miles as long as both passengers have enough miles to cover their own tickets.
That's a very recent change then. I can't count the number of threads where people have not been able to do this.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Either way, I don't see how this would affect the kinds of fees OP mentions (i.e., ticketing fee, close in fee, change fee). These fees are related to the account the miles come from, not the pax's status. A 1K/GM traveling together -- whether or not on the same PNR -- can sit in E+, and I think some baggage benefits can be shared (?), but I don't see how this could affect the fees.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by as219
I don't see how this would affect the kinds of fees OP mentions (i.e., ticketing fee, close in fee, change fee). These fees are related to the account the miles come from, not the pax's status.
I believe that was the crux of the question - would the fact that the 1K is on the same PNR affect override the fact that the miles are not coming from a 1K?

A 1K/GM traveling together -- whether or not on the same PNR -- can sit in E+, and I think some baggage benefits can be shared (?)
I believe the baggage benefits require being on the same PNR. From the 1K site:
1K members are exempt from first, second and third checked baggage fees for travel within the U.S. and Canada. Additional baggage charges may apply for checking more than three bags or if any bag is overweight or oversized. The exemption is also applicable for up to eight companions who are booked in the same itinerary as the elite member.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
Either way, I don't see how this would affect the kinds of fees OP mentions (i.e., ticketing fee, close in fee, change fee). These fees are related to the account the miles come from, not the pax's status. A 1K/GM traveling together -- whether or not on the same PNR -- can sit in E+, and I think some baggage benefits can be shared (?), but I don't see how this could affect the fees.
I have a new experience to report. I just purchased 2 award tickets. Both were from the same MP account who is not 1K. As a 1K travelling together, all fees were waived in my ticketing the two awards just like the same as if I purchased tickets from my own 1K account.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:37 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
I believe that was the crux of the question - would the fact that the 1K is on the same PNR affect override the fact that the miles are not coming from a 1K?

Here's my recent experience with this situation. I booked three award tickets for December; miles for two of the tickets came from a 1K account, mileage for the third from my account (3P). All were on the same PNR.

I cancelled the tickets and had the miles redeposited when a travel waiver was issued. Miles went back into the 1K account with no charge. Miles went back into my account and I was charged $150, even though I clarified with the agent at the time of cancellation that I would not be charged. When I called to dispute this (because of the travel waiver), I was transferred to refunds, who are supposedly processing a refund of these fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.