Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Connecting from UA to Virgin Blue and vv in SYD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Avis First

Hi all - sorry if this has been covered before but I was unable to find anything using search.

I will be flying to SYD on United 839 in F in March (award ticket). I am looking to continue onward to Cairns. Virgin Blue has a flight at either 10 a.m. or 3:10 p.m. Obviously I would prefer to take the 10 flight given the 6:50 arrival time of UA839 and not wanting to wait an extra 5 hours, but am concerned about connection time given frequent delays on UA.

So my questions are:
- Is 3 hrs connection time enough given that I will have to reclaim bags and re-check-in?
- I saw on the UA website that there is a UA-Virgin Blue transfer lounge. Do I avoid another round of security with this and am I able to use this if I am not on a single PNR for both airlines?
- If I book the 10 a.m. (lowest fare class) and miss it, will Virgin Blue allow me to move to the later flight with no charge?
- If I book the 3:10 (lowest fare class) and have time to get to the 10 a.m., can I stand by for it with no charge?
- Is there any reason to go with Qantas in this situation instead? Flight time is ~10:30 a.m. Prices are less for Virgin but both flights are under US$200 so it isn't that big of a deal.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to book the 3:10 Virgin flight and just buy a day pass for the Virgin lounge to take a shower after that long flight from IAD-LAX-SYD (or would I even have time to do that and still make the 10??).

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:25 pm

Yes, I've done this before and 3 hours, 10 minutes is plenty of time to connect in SYD.

I'm pretty sure that regardless of being in separate or singular PNR you'll have to clear security and immigration again, but others may have more experience here.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:39 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Well, apparently the QF flight to NRT via CNS that departed the international terminal has been axed. So, no, no reason to go with QF over DJ.

Last edited by stevenshev; Jan 4, 2009 at 8:44 pm
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:28 pm

- Is 3 hrs connection time enough given that I will have to reclaim bags and re-check-in?

plenty of time

- I saw on the UA website that there is a UA-Virgin Blue transfer lounge. Do I avoid another round of security with this and am I able to use this if I am not on a single PNR for both airlines?
unless you are going onto MEL on UA, you need to go thru customs and immigration ( no finger printing or mugshots though)

- If I book the 10 a.m. (lowest fare class) and miss it, will Virgin Blue allow me to move to the later flight with no charge?
no chance - they are just if not more so miserable as Qantas

- If I book the 3:10 (lowest fare class) and have time to get to the 10 a.m., can I stand by for it with no charge?
no chance - they are just if not more so miserable as Qantas

- Is there any reason to go with Qantas in this situation instead? Flight time is ~10:30 a.m. Prices are less for Virgin but both flights are under US$200 so it isn't that big of a deal.
I think QF would be slightly more agreeable to changes but don't count on it - if I had a choice i would go for the 1030 on QF.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to book the 3:10 Virgin flight and just buy a day pass for the Virgin lounge to take a shower after that long flight from IAD-LAX-SYD (or would I even have time to do that and still make the 10??).

no comment re day pass but I would just want to get to my destination . Re connection time - I have found that 90 minutes can be a bit tight at SYD but above that,you would be safe ( except for big delays)
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:36 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually did this exact connection a while back. The biggest problem is the shuttle bus from the international to the domestic terminal. It doesn't run very often and there was a long line. So we did a taxi to be safe, which is more expensive than you think, but I discovered later on that for AU$5 (at that time), you could take the train, which is a great option.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:41 pm

Don't forget to look at baggage charges. Virgin Blue was more last summer when we were there.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I actually did this exact connection a while back. The biggest problem is the shuttle bus from the international to the domestic terminal. It doesn't run very often and there was a long line. So we did a taxi to be safe, which is more expensive than you think, but I discovered later on that for AU$5 (at that time), you could take the train, which is a great option.
There is also a inter terminal bus every 10-15 minutes that cost $5.50 some 2 months ago .

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL...er/Default.htm
Old Jan 5, 2009, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
but I discovered later on that for AU$5 (at that time), you could take the train, which is a great option.
Must've been a while back.

It's now $14.

It's also called gouging, but hey...

Welcome to Sydney.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 1:54 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Nope, $5.60 if transferring between flights

Jeff
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by jswong
Nope, $5.60 if transferring between flights

Jeff
Are you sure about that?

Any airline to any airline?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:12 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Thats what it says on the link in post #7

Nothing there to suggest any restrictions other than having documentation of your travel

Jeff
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:42 am

Nothing there to suggest any restrictions other than having documentation of your travel

Jeff
Well Jeff, thanks for that.

I've had a look at the link you suggested and I can't find any reference to a fare of $5.60 (or whatever).

Perhaps you could enlighten me...

(and I am living in Sydney, Australia at the moment).
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by Grace B
Well Jeff, thanks for that.

I've had a look at the link you suggested and I can't find any reference to a fare of $5.60 (or whatever).

Perhaps you could enlighten me...
If you are transferring between flights, a discounted fare of $5.60 applies to the inter-terminal transfer (proof of travel will be required – boarding pass, e-ticket, travel itinerary)
Under train on that link...
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by simong
Under train on that link...
Well thanks simong, but, if you go to www.airportlink.com.au, there doesn't appear to be any confirmation of what you are saying. Likewise, Cityrail doesn't seem to know about it either.

I'd be happy if you could point me to a page on an authoritive website (eg airportlink or cityrail) that confirms that there is a $5.60 fare available.

Methinks that SACL has just got an old fare on their website.

however, I am open-minded enough to believe that I may be wrong.

But... Lack of resonse suggests you were wrong!!!

Last edited by Grace B; Jan 5, 2009 at 3:46 am Reason: They were wrong
Old Jan 5, 2009, 3:47 pm

Jeff
This is the link I saw-

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL...er/Default.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.