Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade Waitlisted" to "Upgrade Denied" - What Does This Mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Upgrade Waitlisted" to "Upgrade Denied" - What Does This Mean?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Our itinerary also showed upgrade denied for last Saturday, 24 April, JFK-IAD. SFO-JFK upgrade cleared using CR-1s two weeks before departure. I called 1K desk and she informed me that we were still on the waitlist for JFK-IAD. Checked-in online, SFO-JFK-IAD, showed upgrade instrument previously applied. We were #1 and #2 on the screen at JFK gate. Cleared 20 minutes before departure.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
"Upgrade Denied" has been mentioned here before. Speculation was that the waitlist was full (past UA's ability to append to it, or a certain number past the available seats?). But that seems odd if you were already on the waitlist.
I think the theory that "upgrade waitlist was full" causes the "upgrade denied" status is not true.

Before I went to bed last night, one of my 5/1 flight segments was upgrade confirmed, seat assigned and I even went in there to modified the assigned seat. Overnight, the upgrade status changed to upgrade denied. However, I still have the NF seat and even went in to modified my NF seat one more time just to test out if I am still confirmed for NF and I was successfull in changing the assigned seat again.

I then called 1K desk to double check if I am still confirmed and the agent told me that I am. She also told me that a lot of people have called to complain about the "upgrade denied" bug and .bomb is working on fixing it.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lax2010
I think the theory that "upgrade waitlist was full" causes the "upgrade denied" status is not true. ....
You have commented on an older, pre-UDU post.

The pre-UDU denied message and the present UDU denied message are very likely two different issues.

It does appear the UDU related denied message is a "new" bug.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:45 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You have commented on an older, pre-UDU post.

The pre-UDU denied message and the present UDU denied message are very likely two different issues.

It does appear the UDU related denied message is a "new" bug.
May be it is just my lucky day! I got both bugs in my 5/1 itin. One segment already confirmed for upgrade shows denied (pre-UDU bug?); another segment was waitlisted but also shows denied (post-UDU bug?). The third confirmed segment does show confirmed though. May be I should take a snap shot of the itin for souvenir as it may not happen often, lol. And, yes, it is a weekend MR.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lax2010
May be it is just my lucky day! I got both bugs in my 5/1 itin. One segment already confirmed for upgrade shows denied (pre-UDU bug?); another segment was waitlisted but also shows denied (post-UDU bug?). The third confirmed segment does show confirmed though. May be I should take a snap shot of the itin for souvenir as it may not happen often, lol. And, yes, it is a weekend MR.
Believe both of your issues are the UDU bug .... by pre-UDU I meant ugrade denied message that occur long before UDU existed (such as the 16 month old post you referenced).
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA PP
I had a flight go Upgrade: Waitlisted at my clearance window and now it's showing Upgrade: Denied. The flight shows F0Y0. And it looks like it's going to be tough going from SFO-IAD tomorrow morning for several flights...

I also have a Upgrade: Denied in another segment - but that's because there's no First Class on the aircraft.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Ok, now I'm just REALLY confused.

On an A320:
Cabin: First (NF)
Flight: Confirmed
Upgrade: Denied
Seat: 03A

When I go to seat selection, I can select from any F seat on this A320, but my itinerary clearly says "Denied!" There is no equivalent Y cabin segment listed in the itinerary, and when I go to Upgrades, .bomb tells me the segment has already been upgraded.

This flight is about 56 hours out. At the 100 hour mark, it did change from "Pending" to "Waitlisted."
Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs
Ok, now I'm just REALLY confused.

On an A320:
Cabin: First (NF)
Flight: Confirmed
Upgrade: Denied
Seat: 03A

When I go to seat selection, I can select from any F seat on this A320, but my itinerary clearly says "Denied!" There is no equivalent Y cabin segment listed in the itinerary, and when I go to Upgrades, .bomb tells me the segment has already been upgraded.

This flight is about 56 hours out. At the 100 hour mark, it did change from "Pending" to "Waitlisted."
Relax. Your upgrade has been confirmed. It is a known united.com bug.
Old May 2, 2010, 11:42 pm

Upgrade... DENIED!

Dear UA, I just checked an upcoming itinerary and was surprised to see that my "Pending" upgrade had been changed to "Denied"! Seems like such a harsh term. UA, can't you be a little nicer? Maybe a bit apologetic about it? I think that "Unavailable" might make us feel a little better :-) And besides, how can you be so sure that I am not going to get the upgrade? How do you know who may not show up the day of the flight?
Old May 2, 2010, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
what you need is COs PDA site, maybe you are #20 on the list and no chance even of battlefield.

Hopefully this will come with the merger, UA has the info there as it is shown at the gates to my understanding(haven't been standing around a UA gate lately).
Old May 3, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Well, on the dubai to IAD leg return, all worked out well. As planned from the original booking, it was upgraded (and stayed upgraded I should say) to C.

BUUUTUT,

the annoying thing is that the IAD to ORD domestic leg, which was on a waitlist or pending from the beginning moved to DENIED about two days out. Don't know why, but I THINK what has happened is that with an SWU in the record, something isn't working out for DOMESTIC itins, That is BAD BAD BAD.

So, we weren't even on the WAITLIST, which made no sense for a couple of 1K's running in a W fare (might have been higher)

Was too tired to fight it at the gate.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:32 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Prez
Booked post UDU: Just checked on my flight tomorrow evening SFO to IAD. The flight status went from confirmed to "Denied". I still have seat 1A so unless they change the seating numbers from back to front I suspect I'll still be sitting upfront.
Old May 4, 2010, 4:49 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
We had DEN-FRA on Sunday; got to IADl in Den we were told that we were top of the list for upgrade to Business class and there were 3 seats available, but we couldn't have them until we got to IAD. Got to IAD, ran the concourse to next gate only to be told only 1 seat, two of us had to decide which would get it; we declined and took our econ plus seating. But, how could three seats disappear so fast? Easy: 1K steps in and takes two seats, leaving one.

I suspect that few below IK will ever get an upgrade on overseas flights again, no matter how far in advance you request them, even when we offer to pay miles AND money. I also suspect that prem and prem execs will thin out as people get fed up and migrate to other airlines where prems and execs are not treated like cattle. Not everybody can fly 100k miles per year, even the most loyal of us.
Old May 6, 2010, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I have two flights on Saturday that show Flight: Waitlisted, Upgrade: Denied.

Still in Y for that flight, and 1K swears I'm on the lists.

Companion (also 1K, separate record), got both upgrades and flights are NF0 now. Odd.
Old May 6, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM
Originally Posted by TheGuyIn9C
Dear UA, I just checked an upcoming itinerary and was surprised to see that my "Pending" upgrade had been changed to "Denied"! Seems like such a harsh term. UA, can't you be a little nicer? Maybe a bit apologetic about it? I think that "Unavailable" might make us feel a little better :-) And besides, how can you be so sure that I am not going to get the upgrade? How do you know who may not show up the day of the flight?
I was status "denied" on my BOS-IAD flight a few days ago, and when I checked in, the nice woman handed me my upgraded boarding pass.

So I think it's pretty clear that "waitlisted" and "denied" are synonyms.

Somebody at United should think about fixing that UI bug in their software.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.