Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade Waitlisted" to "Upgrade Denied" - What Does This Mean?

"Upgrade Waitlisted" to "Upgrade Denied" - What Does This Mean?

Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:34 am

Programs: 1K
Also just went from waitlisted to denied in the last few hours--very strange as We're still a few days out, and there's a bunch of inventory.

Thanks FT for providing the .bomb decoder ring. I was very confused at first.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 2:19 am

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
Talked to UGS

A more useful datapoint for everyone.

I saw "Denied" on mine too, so I called Global Services. They looked at the itinerary and in my case the issue was that there had been two simultaneous upgrade requests made, and it was denying the second one. That generated the "Denied" message.

She removed the extra request, and it now says "Waitlisted" again.

It seems they are somehow doing all these upgrade requests manually, because they refer to "they" or "he" for the upgrade request being made.

In any case, if you see "Denied," it's worth calling and having them clean up the PNR to ensure there's only one upgrade request on record.

Good luck to all!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:18 am
mab

Programs: UA GS 2Million, Marriott PP & LTPP, Amtrak Select Exec
Well, I just did an online checkin for my flight tomorrow, and it thought my "denied" upgrade was still waitlisted. So I'm chalking this up to a glitch in the way the records are displayed on the web site. (We'll see what happens when I get to the airport, of course).
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
I got an "upgrade denied" on a 757, yet my seat assignment is 5B ? plenty of open seats available in First too.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1MM), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Upgrade: Denied status

I was just looking at my upcoming itinerary and noticed something I haven't seen before:

Flight: Waitlisted
Upgrade: Denied

What would be the reason for this upgrade status to show up? Last time I looked at it, I'm pretty sure it still said 'Pending'. BTW, this is for a domestic itinerary, and I did apply a CR-1 to it.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by amartin1979
I got an "upgrade denied" on a 757, yet my seat assignment is 5B ? plenty of open seats available in First too.
.bomb at it's finest!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am using an SWU for a trip. The domestic portion was on WL even after trans-pacific 744 Y->C cleared.

The domestic portion finally cleared and it says:

Flight: Confirmed
Upgrade: Denied

I guess they queue the UDU upgrade and since I already got upgraded on the SWU, the UDU is unnecessary and denied.

The extra WL segment no longer shows and the the remaining segment shows my F seat.

Maybe someone from UA was watching Suze Orman when they came up with this word
Old Apr 21, 2010, 5:52 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hilton-Diamond, Starwood-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, Hyatt-Diamond
I had same problem and called the 1K desk. The gentleman told me I was the second person he talked to about this problem and assured me he had no idea what it meant. He did confirm that only 1 upgrade was applied and that I was still waitlisted and it still looked "good".
Chaulk it up to a system error.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
Just called as well. In my case, I was put in for a UDU and also as I have a YCA fare. Since I can't have two upgrades, one was denied. The question is.......which one?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
My UDU DISASTER/United.bomb Story!

Here's my story!

I'm flying back from MCO->SFO tomorrow. I'm a 1K. (The flight out was a discounted first ticket, but the flight back was not.)

On the WEBSITE: it says "Upgrade: DENIED"

I've NEVER seen that message before

If I call the 1K number and ask the automated system about my upgrade it says "NO Upgrade has been applied for on this trip"

If I call the 1K number and speak to an operator, she says I'm on the "priority list" for an upgrade.

(This is what happens if you get software written by the cheapest overseas team you can find!)

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 22, 2010 at 3:50 pm Reason: moved from UDU tracking thread; off topic there
Old Apr 22, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: United 1K
I neven had two requests pending etc. Between 72 hours and 42 hours out my status went from waitlisted to denied. I thought this meant that I was not going to be able to get an upgrade at all. I think what happens is that when it says "denied", it means that you will have to wait till you get to the gate to find out. Basically, I am guessing that once they fill first/business to a certain point, everyone after that will go from waitlisted to denied until you get to the airport. Then the gate agent can release the rest of the seats just before takeoff.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Just another data point...

My wife and I are headed SFO-ORD on Saturday and when I looked earlier this week, only five seats showed free on the seatmap in C, so I figured our UDUs wouldn't clear and we'd have to see what happened at the gate.

Much to my surprise, about 50 hours out I received an EasyUpdate text that the UGs had cleared.

Logged into .bomb to choose seats and saw the dreaded Upgrade: Denied, but also saw that our seat assignments were now N/A and there was no listing for our confirmed Y segment. Went through seat selection, which let me choose seats in C, and followed up with a call to 1K reservations. The CSR said she saw us as upgraded and didn't know what the "Denied" meant.

In contrast, our return on Monday passed the upgrade window today and now shows Denied, but .bomb still shows us confirmed in Y, so I'm guessing we're still waitlisted.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Regardless of computer error my question is: why even put the upgrade:denied option into the system? Is that what it says when there are truly no F seats available? IME, I've seen upgrade: waitlisted while the flight was F0. The computer didn't just randomly come up with that. Someone had to put that in there. Why would they do that?

Someone who manages this has to know it is happening. All .bomb jokes aside, is it really that difficult to fix? Pay some IC $6,000 to fix it in a day. They will save a lot of money from not having to take calls from all elites asking what the he** is going on. I bet I could get a computer science student here to do it for $2,000.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Just adding another datapopint of dot bomb showing Upgrade Denied and showing a confirmed seat in NF (2D on AB320)

????
sdcarver
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:21 pm

Location: 5 min. from ITH, 1:20 from SYR, but will drive for E+
Programs: UA 1K/MM
Maybe it goes to "denied" if you don't clear at your usual window, but it doesn't mean you're not still on the waitlist. I got the "denied" message on a recent ORD-SYR segment, but cleared at the gate. Now I'm thinking back and I think it went from "waitlisted" to "denied" at the 100 hr. window -- right when my SEA-ORD upgrade cleared.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.