Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade Waitlisted" to "Upgrade Denied" - What Does This Mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Upgrade Waitlisted" to "Upgrade Denied" - What Does This Mean?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2009, 6:16 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did you specifically ask about the size of the present waitlist? ORD-DEN is a fairly elite heavy route.
Didn't think to. I've never had a problem upgrading this route before, even when I was 2P. This is the first time I've seen "upgrade: denied," and it threw me. I called CS before checking FT.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Are you on UA245 (departing ORD at 09:01a)?

At F2 that seems like the only flight which may be troublesome to upgrade.

Everything else is F9...
No, it's the 11:18 flight.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by linsj
My upgrade for a flight from ORD to DEN on Monday is labeled denied in My Itineraries. First time I've seen this. No schedule change involved; more than a dozen seats in F open to book. I called CS, and the rep couldn't explain why or do anything about it. She just told me I'll have to wait until I get to the gate to see if I can get an upgrade. I was planning to work on the flight but need a power port.
Originally Posted by linsj
No, it's the 11:18 flight.
UA433 ORD-DEN on April 27 is showing F9/NF9/Y9 -- so if there was any pending upgrades they should be clearing at 50 hours mark. Also, GS/1Ks should have all cleared.

I would call back.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 6:54 pm

OK, this is just weird. Yesterday CS still couldn't explain why the upgrade was denied. My Itineraries still shows upgrade denied, but OLC gave me a DMC. Huh?!

I think this is the first time on this route that the upgrade didn't go through prior to the day of.

Last edited by linsj; Apr 26, 2009 at 6:59 pm
Old Apr 26, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by jhruth
The woman at UAL customer service actually told me that "Upgrade Denied" and "Waitlisted" means the same thing.
I actually LOL'd at reading that

I love how people don't get that words have power. Sigh.

Richard

Originally Posted by flybud123
why do you need a power port to work on an ord to den flight? perhaps you need a new laptop battery if it can't last a short flight like that.
Well if by "work" you mean actually "play BioShock" then my laptop needs power for more than about 90 minutes too

Richard

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 19, 2010 at 2:43 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:08 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I've cleared both of my mainland-HNL flights this coming week.

One of the flights were waitlisted although it was NF9 (requested with a SWU). So I called reservations. They were surprised it hadn't cleared, but just processed the upgrade for me.

Maybe it's just a temporary glitch sometimes.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:32 pm

This whole situation has me puzzled. When I showed up at the gate, the announcement screen showed 12 empty seats in first; and my name is the only one on the upgrade list. So why didn't the upgrade clear in the e-500 window?! When I boarded, there were no other names on the upgrade list. But a bunch of people must have gotten op-ups since the plane was full.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:09 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
The 'upgrade denied' thing seems to (sometimes, anyway) have something to do with very small schedule changes. I've had this happen to me (the only time I've ever seen it personally), and I was able to (eventually) track it down to a small (few minutes) schedule change. Another poster above also had the same experience.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:50 am

Programs: UA MM
So you guys who have gotten "upgrade denied," what does it say for that segment if you go to "upgrades" from "my itineraries"?

I'm getting "this type of upgrade is not available for international flights" when I'd tried to use a SWU.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
The 'upgrade denied' thing seems to (sometimes, anyway) have something to do with very small schedule changes. I've had this happen to me (the only time I've ever seen it personally), and I was able to (eventually) track it down to a small (few minutes) schedule change. Another poster above also had the same experience.
Hmm, I had a minor schedule change too. The "waitlist" row is gone from the My Itineraries page, thought it had cleared... But when I called CS, they said it is still waitlisted. Not much of an issue to me, it is just the LAX - SFO leg of an international itinerary, which has already cleared for the international legs.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You can cancel at the gate, as long as there is still at least one open Coach seat. You will get your miles back in a few days.
Technically, I think you can cancel your upgrade only if there are seats available in your original fare bucket. But at the gate, they may not care about that rule and just put you back in economy.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Technically, I think you can cancel your upgrade only if there are seats available in your original fare bucket. But at the gate, they may not care about that rule and just put you back in economy.
The rule you speak of only applies prior to DM. After it goes to gate control you can downgrade as long as there is an coach space.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by jschw934
Elite Status: 1P
Routing: SJC-DEN
Date/Time: 3/26 early AM
Fare Class: T
Aircraft: 757
Upgrade: "Denied" at around 60 hours, or so, but waitlisted. Not entirely sure what that means. Is it denied? Or is it waitlisted? Or is it both? I will update if cleared at that gate.
This occurred to me on an upcoming itin inside the relevant clearance window.

I received the EasyUpdate indicating the upgrade had cleared, and checked the itinerary to confirm a seat was assigned. Showed Flight: Confirmed and Upgrade: Confirmed. Logged back in later to print the itin, and showed "Upgrade: Denied" (sounds harsh, doesn't it?) but still the same seat assignment in First.

There are several other FT threads about "Upgrade: Denied," but most with recent posts pre-UDU.

Called 1K voice and determined that the "Denied" is just a bug, upgrade is still indeed confirmed.

Itin is also showing "Upgrade: Pending" for a flight on an E120 outside the clearance window...didn't know Explus had been rolled out on those!
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by CThomp79

Called 1K voice and determined that the "Denied" is just a bug, upgrade is still indeed confirmed.
I got "denied" on a segment for later this week, but it was on a CRJ200, which is to be expected since it has no F cabin. Still "denied" is harsh terminology; a formal User Interface review would catch that.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:04 pm

Still happening apparently. I am flying r/t SFO-BOS. Outbound cleared about 10 days ago and return was showing Waitlisted/Pending. Now it's showing Denied.

I am trying to upgrade using the 15,000 miles + $50 copay option. My logic is that since I'm Premier Executive and this is a long route, I would be easily outgunned by the 1k's on this flight for UDU's. I was hoping that the willingness to part with $50 would somehow get me moved up a few spots on the list for upgrades, but I'm not quite sure how the priority works in this case.

Seems to have worked on the SFO-BOS leg, but maybe I'm hosed on the return....ugh. One of the longest flights in the continental US. Nice one to get denied the upgrade on...

Checking seat map for first class shows only 9 of the 24 seats are assigned (757), so who knows what's going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.