Wiki Posts
Search

OLCI Standby Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat,DL PM,HH Diamond
OLCI Standby Questions

So, I'm a SkyTeam defector, flying United for the first time in over a decade. Obviously, I have no status with UA, and was checking in for my L-class itinerary, expecting to see standby options.

The Chicken (am I qualified to use the term?) offered me no standby options. Can I show up at the airport for standby options? I'm on a 7:00 itin SBN-ORD-MSP and was looking to leave SBN on a 12:30 flight.

Can I standby at the aiport?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
You can standby at the ariport. Confirmed 'standby' is available at a cost (more every day it seems), but take-your-chances-standby is free.

OLCI should give you standby options if they are available. But sometimes it doesn't; I don't know why. You may have to wait until day of travel? Hopefully someone has the answer.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Just show up at the airport and they will put you on standby. Since you are on an L fare and have no status see if you can do a confirmed standby for $75.

Welcome to UA and *A ^
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
UA's technical lingo for the fee-based version is confirmed same-day change (rather than confirmed standby). From .bomb:
http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,52142,00.html
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:26 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
OLCI will only let you standby for flights earlier than the one on which you're scheduled to depart.

Why? Presumably UA doesn't want to bear responsibility for noobs who miss the flights on which they are confirmed on the day before Thanksgiving, then show up to a later flight on a G fare with no status, and expect to get on as standbys.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Since I assume you are new to UA's OLCI, just wanted to make sure you saw the standby button on the bottom, to the right of the seating and baggage buttons. I believe its pretty hard to see if you are not used to UA's OLCI and don't know where it is, so thought I might point it out to you in case you missed it (I definitely missed it when it was new to me). You might also be able to go back to OLCI to request the standby before you leave for the airport.

You are certainly entitled to use the term "Chicken", however, they are usually refered to the in-airport check in kiosk's, and yes, you should be able to use one to standby. However, note, especially if you have no status, if its available using OLCI, you should try to request your standby online, as your priority on the list will be determined by time of check in and status.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:49 pm

First Time User of Standby option on OLCI

From my iphone last night I did the OLCI for a flight and chose to standby for an earlier flight. Today when I go to check OLCI it doesnt mention anything about being standby on an earlier flight and Im able to print a boarding pass for my original flight. Just wondering if something should show up on OLCI that im on the standby list. Also, it shows that im checkin for my original flight, I read somewhere that you shouldnt be checked in if trying to standby.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
No standby option offered during OLCI

Does this mean that the standby lists are full?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by FortFun
UA's technical lingo for the fee-based version is confirmed same-day change (rather than confirmed standby). From .bomb:
http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,52142,00.html
It is interesting how people, including myself, still think it is confirmed standby instead of confirmed same-day change.

It is the same as non-stop flight, when most people think it is a direct flight.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 5:43 pm
Suspended

non-elite flyer

Does one need to show up two hours before the flight to be put on the standby list or is that only if luggage is being checked in? Can you be put on the standby list on the phone before i arrive at the airport?

Is there anyway that i can check to see how full a flight is to see if there is a good chance that i can make standby?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by SkiUtah
non-elite flyer

Does one need to show up two hours before the flight to be put on the standby list or is that only if luggage is being checked in? Can you be put on the standby list on the phone before i arrive at the airport?

Is there anyway that i can check to see how full a flight is to see if there is a good chance that i can make standby?
You will need to be at the airport. You can call UA and ask.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
non-elite flyer

If you check in online (up to 24 hours before your flight), you can opt to be put on the standby list. There is a little button on the bottom when you see your flights that says "standby", if you click that, it will give you options to choose which flight you wish to standby for. Note that for online/kiosk check in, you can only choose to standby for flights on the same routing as your booked itinerary. Standing by for say, a nonstop instead of a connection, or on a connection with a different routing may or may not be possible depending on the agent you get, but can only be done with an agent.

I believe on a chicken, you can standby for a flight up until the check in cutoff, but note that check in time is one of the things that determines your place on the standby list. If you have no status, probably best to check in online 24 hours before your original flight to get the best place possible on the standby list - others with higher status will be ahead.

I always call in if I am standing by to see how my chances look. Reservations won't tell you how many seats are left, but they will often give you an idea with something like, flight is oversold/full/just a few seats left or it is looking good to standby. That can always change. If you set up your profile on .bomb to "expert", you can also see how many seats are left to sell by pretending you are going to book a flight, and viewing details, which will bring up how many seats are left in each class. Look at "Y" - 9 means there are at least 9 seats left to sell, anything lower means they will sell that many more. Doesn't give you exactly - airlines are willing to oversell - but give you a general idea.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by emcampbe
If you set up your profile on .bomb to "expert", you can also see how many seats are left to sell by pretending you are going to book a flight, and viewing details, which will bring up how many seats are left in each class. Look at "Y" - 9 means there are at least 9 seats left to sell, anything lower means they will sell that many more. Doesn't give you exactly - airlines are willing to oversell - but give you a general idea.
I dont understand what "set your profile on .bomb to expert means? what is .bomb?
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I dont understand what "set your profile on .bomb to expert means? what is .bomb?
.bomb is FT jab at www.united.com

In your profile, travel preferences, display preferences on www.united.com, you can set your availability format to expert mode.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
If you set up your profile on .bomb to "expert", you can also see how many seats are left to sell by pretending you are going to book a flight, and viewing details, which will bring up how many seats are left in each class.
Sorry to be dense, but can anyone direct further to the "details"? I am set to expert but have looked everywhere (except obviously the right place ) and don't see this. I know you can see this info on ITA, but .bomb would be handier sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.