Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

EQM Limit from Chase Mileage Plus Platinum Visa

Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K,MM

I was told by Chase Visa customer service that United Mileage Plus would limit the number of EQM from Chase Mileage Plus Visa Cards to 15000 EQM total per year. That could be from one card or more, in one or more of the ways they can be earned.

Is this true? I have not confirmed this with Mileage Plus Visa.

Corrallary question, would you earn 100,000 EQM with a $35,000.00 spend on 20 Chase Mileage Plus Platinum Visa cards.....and would United Mileage Plus credit them when they were sent over to them from Chase Visa?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA gold
Originally Posted by Tinman
I was told by Chase Visa customer service that United Mileage Plus would limit the number of EQM from Chase Mileage Plus Visa Cards to 15000 EQM total per year. That could be from one card or more, in one or more of the ways they can be earned.

Is this true? I have not confirmed this with Mileage Plus Visa.
15k sounds right to me for the first year:
5k on first use
5k for $5k united.com purchases
5k for $35k spend

After that it's a 10k per year max
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
From
United Mileage Plus Platinum Class Travel Rewards Program (or the “Program”) Rules and Regulations

If you have more than one United Visa Account you can earn EQM on each Account. EQM will appear on each Account statement; however, under the United Mileage Plus Platinum Class terms and conditions, the maximum number of EQM that can be awarded to your United Mileage Plus Member Number is 15,000 the first calendar year and 10,000 each calendar year thereafter. Any excess EQM will be forfeited. EQM are not redeemable for travel at United. EQM are used solely toward flight status upgrades of Elite Status.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 6:59 am

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
What about carrying over EQMs?

I bought a ticket on united.com in Dec., however the EQMs did not post before Dec 31st (I did not need them to make status). Will they post in 2009? If so, does it limit how many EQMs I can earn by 2009 spending?
Old Jan 3, 2009, 9:11 pm

can you earn EQMs with this credit card when using to purchase UA tickets over the phone not on UAL.com
Old Jan 3, 2009, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM
Originally Posted by mazzer
I bought a ticket on united.com in Dec., however the EQMs did not post before Dec 31st (I did not need them to make status). Will they post in 2009? If so, does it limit how many EQMs I can earn by 2009 spending?
Chase told me that the EQMs from the ticket I purchased on Dec 14th which did not post before Dec 31st will be credited toward my 2010 status. (In my case, I was counting on the EQMs to requalify, so I cashed in some Choices instead.)
Old Jan 3, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
Originally Posted by kaiman
can you earn EQMs with this credit card when using to purchase UA tickets over the phone not on UAL.com
And I would like to know if you get the EQMs for bookings where you're not one of the ticketed passengers.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 9:29 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by MayorMcKnife
And I would like to know if you get the EQMs for bookings where you're not one of the ticketed passengers.
Yes, if you are the card account holder...
Old Jan 3, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have this card, do I get any EQM's for renewing this card?
Old Jan 3, 2009, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
Yes, if you are the card account holder...
Thanks. I have to go thru a travel agent for my business travel and my personal travel is < $5k/yr. But if I book some tix for friends and family......
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dlwalt
do I get any EQM's for renewing this card?
No.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mazzer
IME they will post in 2008 and count to 2009 status. The key date is purchase date.

Originally Posted by kaiman
no -- with the minor exception that phone booking via web support when the web site booking failed
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by SeattleFred
Chase told me that the EQMs from the ticket I purchased on Dec 14th which did not post before Dec 31st will be credited toward my 2010 status. (In my case, I was counting on the EQMs to requalify, so I cashed in some Choices instead.)
This contradicts my experience as Chase supervisors told me unequivocally that the purchase date is the determining factor. You should have called in to Chase and asked them to push through the EQMs to MP (and close the statement early if they had to) in order to save your Choices redemption.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:20 am

one minor thing, you can earn 15k max EQM from chase in any year. If you have only one card you can only physically get 10k in subesquent years becuase you will never get the 5k sign-up bonus.

However, if you were to open a new card, you'd get the 5k, but you couldn't get more than 15k EQM total between all cards. So if you spent $35,000 on each card, and all the possible united purchases on each card, you'd still be capped at 15k.

at least that's what chase told me last year.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Simple questions,

What ticket purchases qualify for EQMs and when do they post?

For example, if I booked a ticket over the phone and paid for it at the airport, AND used a $600 voucher on a $2100 ticket, would I get EQM credit for the $1500?

What if a ticket is purchased via UAL.com? Do those purchases count?

What if I buy I ticket for someone else?

How long does it take the EQM to post? Say I buy a ticket in January for travel much later in the year (say june), when do the EQMs post??

I understand the 5K limit per year for purchases.

Billy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.