Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

EQM Limit from Chase Mileage Plus Platinum Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EQM Limit from Chase Mileage Plus Platinum Visa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Delta3MM
Simple questions,

What ticket purchases qualify for EQMs and when do they post?
those purchased on united.com using the MP Visa Platinum Card
For example, if I booked a ticket over the phone and paid for it at the airport, AND used a $600 voucher on a $2100 ticket, would I get EQM credit for the $1500?
Since not purchased on united.com, no EQMs
What if a ticket is purchased via UAL.com? Do those purchases count?
Only those on united.com count
What if I buy I ticket for someone else?
Yes that can work
How long does it take the EQM to post? Say I buy a ticket in January for travel much later in the year (say june), when do the EQMs post??
They usually post within 6 or less weeks of the end of the billing cycle of the purchases

And as you stated there is a limit of 5K EQM for ticket purchases per year
Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K,MM
Billy

Check the rules, but I think that only United.com purchases qualify towards the 5000 EQM at 5000 dollars of purchases. (could be wrong on this) Let me know when you find out.

Tickets purchased for some one else count towrds the 5000 dollars
5000 EQM will appear on the credit card statement when threshold met, post to Mielage Plus shrotly after, however travel can be in the future.

Hope this helps a bit.

Scott

Scott
Old Jan 30, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 2P
How long to post? Last year the $5000 for United.com purchases posted when they posted the RDM for the month. Month of Janurary already posted the RDM but no EQM for the United.com. (over $5000). Is it just because it's Janurary? Has anyone eles's posted yet.
Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rosieox
How long to post? Last year the $5000 for United.com purchases posted when they posted the RDM for the month. Month of Janurary already posted the RDM but no EQM for the United.com. (over $5000). Is it just because it's Janurary? Has anyone eles's posted yet.
Thanks.
As mentioned in post # 16 -- the EQMs for ticket purchases seem to post 4 to 6 weeks after the close of the billing cycle for the purchase. This seems to vary so there maybe a regular "sweep". But the key issue, the ticketing EQMs do not post as quickly as the RDMs or signup & $35K bonus.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Tinman
Billy
Tickets purchased for some one else count towrds the 5000 dollars
5000 EQM will appear on the credit card statement when threshold met, post to Mielage Plus shrotly after, however travel can be in the future.

Hope this helps a bit.
Scott
Great to know. I just got the Chase card but didn't think I'd do $5000 of travel for myself so knowing I can get miles for buying tickets for others is great!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 10:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Will Chase take back EQM's if ticket returned next year?

My wife may need to travel next February (2010) for work, so they told her to buy a refundable ticket. I was going to purchase the ticket with my platinum visa to get the extra EQM in August (09). With this purchase I should make 2P. My question is, if my wife doesn't need to go on the trip, and refunds the ticket next year, will chase come back and take the EQM's back retroactively (2009), pushing me back down to a GM? By February next year I'll already have flown 10,000 BIS, so hopefully chase would take the returned EQM's from there. Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by oly_flyer
My wife may need to travel next February (2010) for work, so they told her to buy a refundable ticket. I was going to purchase the ticket with my platinum visa to get the extra EQM in August (09). With this purchase I should make 2P. My question is, if my wife doesn't need to go on the trip, and refunds the ticket next year, will chase come back and take the EQM's back retroactively (2009), pushing me back down to a GM? By February next year I'll already have flown 10,000 BIS, so hopefully chase would take the returned EQM's from there. Thanks.
My guess if you refund is you will have a negative balance on the Chase side and not receive 2010 Chase EQM bonuses until you overcome the negative credit.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Simple questions,

What ticket purchases qualify for EQMs and when do they post?

For example, if I booked a ticket over the phone and paid for it at the airport, AND used a $600 voucher on a $2100 ticket, would I get EQM credit for the $1500?

What if a ticket is purchased via UAL.com? Do those purchases count?

What if I buy I ticket for someone else?

How long does it take the EQM to post? Say I buy a ticket in January for travel much later in the year (say june), when do the EQMs post??

I understand the 5K limit per year for purchases.

Billy
The first two questions are pretty clear in the T&Cs for the card. Only ticket purchases on united.com earn any EQM, so your first scenario does not qualify. Occasionally, people will run into problems with united.com and follow up to ticket over the phone with web support (this does qualify, but it has to be with web support specifically).

As for ticketing for someone else, my own experience has been that I haven't gotten EQMs for a ticket in someone else's name (even though it's on my card) unless I'm on the same PNR. I suspect it's not consistent though.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by leech27
As for ticketing for someone else, my own experience has been that I haven't gotten EQMs for a ticket in someone else's name (even though it's on my card) unless I'm on the same PNR. I suspect it's not consistent though.
IIRC, the card T&C say you get EQM for "purchases on united.com", nothing about passenger names.

We've put several of my tickets on my wife's Platinum Visa this year and she got the EQMs. We don't even have the same last name.

I hope your experience is singular...I recently convinced a friend to let me charge his SFO-SIN ticket on my new Platinum card, and would be bummed if I didn't get EQMs.

Could there be another reason you didn't get your EQMs?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 4:40 pm

Is the Platinum version of the Chase Visa the only one that offers EQMs for United.com purchases?

And if I've had this card before, I know I won't get the RDM bonus again, but will I qualify for any of the usual EQM signup bonuses?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by drjhwang
Is the Platinum version of the Chase Visa the only one that offers EQMs for United.com purchases?...
Yes -- and only the personal Platinum, not the Business Platinum
Originally Posted by drjhwang
....And if I've had this card before, I know I won't get the RDM bonus again, but will I qualify for any of the usual EQM sign-up bonuses?
Most likely if you not had the card for reasonable period of time, a year or two. There is another thread you will need to search for (good luck ) to find reported experiences.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:51 am

Programs: UA 1K SPG Gold
Thumbs up Bonus!!! thanks for telling me about this

Flyertalk folks,

I'm really glad I found this thread. I have had a mileage plus card that has not been offering me all the benefits I could have been entitled to.

There seems to have been some confusion earlier in the thread about card types. They call all personal cards "platinum". The benefits in terms of accruing miles vary according to the 4 basic card types, described here on united's webpage:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,10017,3865,00.html

Last edited by flyster; Oct 3, 2010 at 9:18 pm
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by flyster
There seems to have been some confusion earlier in the thread about card types. They call all personal cards "platinum". The benefits in terms of accruing miles vary according to the 4 basic card types, described here on united's webpage:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,10017,3865,00.html...
No confusion, the original EQM earning card (just one) was the "Platinum card", about a year ago Chase released three new cards (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...dit-cards.html) and eventually stopped offering the original Platinum card to new customers. Many of us still have the no longer available Platinum card.
There was also a Platinum Business that does not earn EQMs
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:34 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I just received an offer to "upgrade" my Platinum Class card to the Select card from Chase. They've offered me 10,000 RDM to make the switch. As far as I can tell the major advantage of the Platinum Class card is the chance to earn an additional 5000 EQM/year by hitting the $350000 spend threshold. Since I now earn status by segments (but haven't always) I'm considering making the switch. Am I missing any other advantages to the Platinum Class card? Needless to say the Chase brochure is only focused on the advantages of the new card.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 4:10 am

Programs: UA 1K SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No confusion, the original EQM earning card (just one) was the "Platinum card", about a year ago Chase released three new cards (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...dit-cards.html) and eventually stopped offering the original Platinum card to new customers. Many of us still have the no longer available Platinum card.
There was also a Platinum Business that does not earn EQMs
Ok got it - I thought that might be the case (they changed the names of the offerings).

Last edited by flyster; Oct 3, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.