FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Let's Eat! - 2009 Economy Class (Domestic and International) Edition (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/904874-lets-eat-2009-economy-class-domestic-international-edition.html)

warreng24 Dec 31, 2008 6:45 pm

Let's Eat! - 2009 Economy Class (Domestic and International) Edition

With a nod to Kurt and globetrekker84 for the previous year's compilations:

Generally speaking, domestic flights with food service in Economy Class can be broken down into these types:
  1. Mainline flights under 2.0 hours
  2. Mainline flights between 2.0 hours and 3.0 hours
  3. Mainline flights between 3.0 hours and 4.0 hours
  4. Mainline flights between 4.0 hours and 5.0 hours
  5. Mainline flights over 5.0 hours

1) Mainline flights under 2.0 hours:
  • No complimentary cocktail snack.

2) Mainline flights between 2.0 hours and 3.0 hours:
  • Select a-la-carte snacks are available for purchase for $3 US.

3) Mainline flights between 3.0 hours and 4.0 hours:
  • Snackboxes are available for purchase for $6 US on flights scheduled to depart prior to 2000 (8:00 pm).

4) Mainline flights between 4.0 hours and 5.0 hours:
  • Snackboxes are available for purchase for $6 US.

5) Mainline flights over 5.0 hours:
  • Snackboxes are available for purchase for $6 US.
  • Buy-on-Board meals available for $9 US on flights scheduled to depart prior to 2000 (8:00 pm).

A-La-Carte Snack Selections include:
  • Lay's Staxx
  • Twizzlers
  • Walker's Shortbread Cookies
  • Trail Mix

Snackbox Selections can be found on this page:
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51257,00.html

Buy-on-Board meal example selections can be found on this page:
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51284,00.html

Please note that ALL inter-continental, intra-Asia, and intra-Australia international flights in Economy Class feature complimentary meal service.

I have found some sample economy class menus that were previously available on the United Japan site.
See posting #4 of this thread.

For the curious folks:

With that, Let's Eat 2009!

MatthewLAX Dec 31, 2008 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by warreng24 (Post 10991167)
Please note that ALL trans-oceanic international flights in Economy Class will provide complimentary meal service.

As well as flights to EZE, GRU, and GIG.

Great thread warreng24! While I hope I rarely have to contribute to it, I suspect I will be doing some occasional long-haul travel in Y this year.

mahasamatman Dec 31, 2008 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX (Post 10991820)
As well as flights to EZE, GRU, and GIG.

We should just call them intercontinental.

warreng24 Jan 1, 2009 12:39 am

I have found some sample Economy Class menus via the Internet Archive Wayback Machine snapshot of the United Japan site.

These menus were last served on March 29, 2008, and only show the offerings departing Tokyo. However, change comes slowly to Economy Class menu's. :p

Tokyo to Honolulu (Breakfast)

Danish, Orange Juice

Tokyo to Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Chicago(UA884) (Breakfast)

Swiss Colby Omelet- Pork Sausage, Roasti Potato

Tokyo to Chicago(UA882) and Washington D.C. (Breakfast)

Main Course (pick one):
  1. Penne Pasta with Cream Sauce and Sliced Ham
  2. Swiss Colby Omelet- Pork Sausage, Roasti Potato

Special Note:
Mid-flight snacks (cold deli sandwiches and hot instant noodles) are available upon request on Tokyo to Chicago(UA882) and Washington D.C.

Tokyo to Honolulu, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Washington D.C. (Dinner)

To Begin: Garden salad with spicy chicken and Asian sesame ginger dressing

Main Course (pick one):
  1. Bulgogi Chicken- Steamed rice, Fern, Carrots, Spinach and Bean Sprout
  2. Beef with Marsala sauce- Potato wedge and mixed vegetables

Dessert: Orange creamsicle cake

Tokyo to Seoul (Dinner)

Snackbox:
  1. Pastrami, Egg and Cheese Sandwich
  2. Sushi Combo
  3. Cookie

Tokyo to Taipei (Dinner)

To Begin: Garden salad with Asian sesame ginger dressing

Main Course (pick one):
  2. Penne Pasta with Cream Sauce- Ham and Mushroom Cream Sauce, Parmesan Cheese and Peas

Dessert: Cookie

Tokyo to Bangkok and Singapore (Dinner)

To Begin: Garden salad with Asian sesame ginger dressing

Main Course (pick one):
  2. Penne Pasta with Ham and Mushroom Cream Sauce- Parmesan Cheese and Peas

Dessert: Orange creamsicle cake

Uniter Apr 16, 2009 12:11 pm

Am I the only one forced to fly economy internationally? Are there postings on the delicious meals served in E+ on the IAD-LHR flight? Please tell me there's something to look forward to ...

mjgodden Apr 16, 2009 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Uniter (Post 11592826)
Am I the only one forced to fly domestic internationally? Are there postings on the delicious meals served in E+ on the IAD-LHR flight? Please tell me there's something to look forward to ...

Do you mean economy internationally?

Assuming "yes", I don't think you'll be getting too excited.

My recent experiences...

UA935 LHR/LAX Mar 09

Main Meal

Pretzels with drinks

Chicken in Gravy with Mashed Potato and mixed vegetables
or
Tomato & Ricotta tortellini

Mixed leaf salad with cherry tomato and Asian - style dressing
Bread

Some kind of cheese cake (not that good)

Pre-arrival snack

Soft cheese, cheddar cheese, ham & bologna on pretzel bread (very very nice)
Twix
KP Crisps (no more Walkers :td: )

Overall, some improvements, namely to the salad (not just lettuce anymore, and a better dressing), but the desert was worse. KP are also not as good as Walkers.

UA922
IAD-LHR (daylight flight)

Drinks Service

Breakfast

Mixed fruit salad

Omlette with mushroom
or
French Toast & Maple Syrup

Both served with Bacon. Omlette also served with sausage.

Danish pastry

Pre-arrival snack

Meat & Cheese roll (forgot which meats)
Crisps
Chocolate

Bit of a haze on this flight as I had connected to it via a red-eye from LAX.
Don't remember some of the finer detail, but I do remember that the main meal showed some improvement.. the breakfast was actually OK. Previously, I remember this "meal" as the worst of any flight with UA.

Mark

notquiteaff Apr 16, 2009 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by mjgodden (Post 11593117)
D
My recent experiences...

UA935 LHR/LAX Mar 09

Main Meal

Pretzels with drinks

You got pretzels? I did SFO-FRA-SFO last weekend in E+ (for the first time in, oh, two years) and was surprised that there was no drink/pretzel service prior to the main meal. Basically, 20 mins after departure an FA dropped the special meal unceremoniously on my tray table, and 15 mins later the cart train serving the regular meals and drinks came by to give my my beverage (was done with my meal at that time).

Not that I needed the pretzels as I had stocked up at the RCC :D But a drink WITH my meal would have been nice.

The Hindu (Veg) special meal (lunch/dinner) was pretty good both ways (first time I tried it). The pre-arrival "breakfast" on SFO-FRA was an utter joke, though. A little plastic container of apple sauce and a 1 square inch of shrinkwrapped dry toast, all stuffed in a plastic bag and dumped on my tray table. Got unpacked for a photo and then returned. Thank goodness for being prepared with granola bars.

ua_to_ord Apr 16, 2009 1:35 pm

Per the OP, there apparently is meal service in Y on SYD-MEL and v.v. Anyone know what it is?

warreng24 Apr 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 11593337)
Got unpacked for a photo

For the benefit of other FT people stuck in coach, can you please post the photo of the special meal?

notquiteaff Apr 16, 2009 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by warreng24 (Post 11594003)
For the benefit of other FT people stuck in coach, can you please post the photo of the special meal?

Sure, here you go:

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/r..._and_toast.jpg

(sorry, only iPhone quality with poor lighting... and I don't have a photo of the main course, which was rice with assorted curried veggies and cheese)

Ripper3785 Apr 16, 2009 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by ua_to_ord (Post 11593342)
Per the OP, there apparently is meal service in Y on SYD-MEL and v.v. Anyone know what it is?

I'm betting based on an itinerary including SYD-MEL-SYD and saying "No Meal Service" for this leg that this short flight is an exception to the OP.

MileageAddict Apr 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Mmmm.... coach meals. :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Cat_Food1.jpg

UAPremierGuy Apr 16, 2009 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by ua_to_ord (Post 11593342)

Having flown this flight in both directions in March, I am sad to report that there is only a beverage service on this short flight in both directions.

mjgodden Apr 17, 2009 2:14 am

You got pretzels? I did SFO-FRA-SFO last weekend in E+ (for the first time in, oh, two years) and was surprised that there was no drink/pretzel service prior to the main meal. Basically, 20 mins after departure an FA dropped the special meal unceremoniously on my tray table, and 15 mins later the cart train serving the regular meals and drinks came by to give my my beverage (was done with my meal at that time).

Not that I needed the pretzels as I had stocked up at the RCC :D But a drink WITH my meal would have been nice.....

That's not good. :td::td:

Mark

TrekkerMary Apr 26, 2009 6:12 pm

The Hindu (Veg) special meal (lunch/dinner) was pretty good both ways (first time I tried it). The pre-arrival "breakfast" on SFO-FRA was an utter joke, though. A little plastic container of apple sauce and a 1 square inch of shrinkwrapped dry toast, all stuffed in a plastic bag and dumped on my tray table. Got unpacked for a photo and then returned. Thank goodness for being prepared with granola bars.

Did you happen to take a picture of your hindu meal or could you at least describe what it was? I'm on this route next week and was considering a special meal.

I'd be up for hearing about any meals on this route lately.

Thanks!