From 1P to GM - Status on Res Question

Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton, Hertz, Sofitel, Marriot
From 1P to GM - Status on Res Question

First off, pity me. After 5 years as a solid 1P, I ended up changing jobs this year - when added to the economy, I'm going back down to GM in Feb with only 16k EQM. The sad part is, my job may actually require more travel next year.

What I will miss most: E+, Group 1 Boarding, and not having to pay to check bags when travelling with my family.

On to my question:

I just booked in E+ for April. When I lose my status at the end of Feb. and I going to be moved to E-? Or, do I retain my 1P status on that reservation as long as I don't make a change?

I know you have to get them to re-enter your number when you go up in status otherwise you'll not have it on your reservation. Is it the same when going down?

Thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SQ PPS
"Complimentary for Elite members and a companion. United Economy Plus is an exclusive area of 6 to 11 rows in the United Economy section, offering up to an additional 5 inches of legroom. Advance seating is available at the time of booking on a first-come, first-served basis; member must also have Elite status at the time of travel to retain reserved Economy Plus seats"

am not sure if it is enforced in pratice.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
Originally Posted by Zurs3c
On to my question:

I just booked in E+ for April. When I lose my status at the end of Feb. and I going to be moved to E-? Or, do I retain my 1P status on that reservation as long as I don't make a change?
Bad news, the computers will perform a sweep at some point in March and move you to E-. sorry.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Even if they don't move you to E-, you are certainly ask you to pay for it at the airport.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by HaeMaker
Bad news, the computers will perform a sweep at some point in March and move you to E-. sorry.
This was not my experience when I dropped down from 2P to GM for a few months early this year. The E+ seats I had booked (while still 2P) for flights in April and May stuck and the Chicken did not ask me to pay for them when I checked in.

YMMV - cross your fingers. An equipment change would drop you back to E- for sure.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Zurs3c

I know you have to get them to re-enter your number when you go up in status otherwise you'll not have it on your reservation. Is it the same when going down?

Thanks.
No longer true -- may take a few days to progate through the various systems but no need to take this step when your status increases.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:26 am

Soft Landing?

I'm reading this as the OP is a Premier Executive (1P)...does United allow for a soft landing to Premier (2P)? I made 1P again this year but just got laid off starting January 1 so making 1P again is highly unlikely and need to know how to plan...
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by East Coast Wing
I'm reading this as the OP is a Premier Executive (1P)...does United allow for a soft landing to Premier (2P)? I made 1P again this year but just got laid off starting January 1 so making 1P again is highly unlikely and need to know how to plan...
There is no standard for a soft landing on UA. However, some GS have reported getting 3P/2P (or the old Premier "emeratus") if they did not requalify.

For 1P/2P I would say the odds of a soft landing are virtually nil.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 8:44 am

Thanks...that is good information to have...at least I'll have 1P for 2009 and then see what happens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.