Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's New Biz Cabin Wins Award

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
Does this award refer to new 763 and new 744, or just one of them? I've not flown the new C but have confirmed C on 744 UA900 SFO/FRA in February and I'm hoping/excited for new C but also paranoid that it'll get switched to old configuration.
Yeah, that would be nice but as far as being paranoid about the old config...I would sacrifice some serious cash or miles to get into any C cabin on a 744, there isn't a good Y seat on that plane. I was overly happy when ORD-FRA switched to triple sevens.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by worldtrav
You do realize the new seats are far easier to get in and out of compared to the old recliners? This is because the seat in front of you no longer reclines in to your space, which made it much more difficult to get in and out of.
With that couple that was up and about ever so often ... I didn't think that it was that easy to get in and out cos they actually stepped on my foot rest (thereby disturbing my beauty sleep) each time they got in and out.

I figured that it was probably due to the fact that the foot rest (when in a fully reclined position) is no longer at mid calf level in the old recliners but more like knee level in these new seats. I guess they could not climb over my foot rest and instead chose the easiest way ie step on my foot rest (hence my feet) each time they moved about.

No kidding!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:27 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by vandalby
They must not have sat in my last 'new' C seat from ORD-LHR; this would be the one with the broken armrest that wouldn't go down...
Were you by chance on N179UA, on seat 14K the left armrest would not go down either. On Dec 1, HKG-SFO I found a pack of the midflight snack crackers jammed between the armrest and the divider. I removed the crackers and it was fine. I was originally going to ask for a SkyKit until I saw the crackers obstructing it.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Dec 18, 2008 at 5:05 pm
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by World_Traveller
With that couple that was up and about ever so often ... I didn't think that it was that easy to get in and out cos they actually stepped on my foot rest (thereby disturbing my beauty sleep) each time they got in and out.

I figured that it was probably due to the fact that the foot rest (when in a fully reclined position) is no longer at mid calf level in the old recliners but more like knee level in these new seats. I guess they could not climb over my foot rest and instead chose the easiest way ie step on my foot rest (hence my feet) each time they moved about.

No kidding!
Even if they had trouble exiting their middle seats, it sounds super rude and aggressive to step on your foot rest (and your tootsies) each time they moved. I can understand how people use other pax' headrest for support, but to actually step on other people's tootsies? Yikes.

Maybe they were upset for not being together in a 2 configuration, and they took it out on the other pax! Seriously I've never read about this happening before with other posts about the new C!
Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:48 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
On Dec 1, HKG-SFO I found a pack of the midflight snack crackers jammed between the armrest and the divider. I removed the crackers and it was fine. I was originally going to ask for a SkyKit until I saw the crackers obstructing it.
Get a skykit and then eat the crackers.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:32 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Considering that there are only two U.S. airlines with true lie-flat business-class seats -- DL and UA -- this isn't much of a competition. That said, UA did quite well with its new lie flat seat. My only real complaint is that the seat needs some additional lumbar support when it is configured as a bed.
Seriously, the new C seat also lacks lumbar support? Lower back pain is my only complaint when flying on the old C seat, and I was hoping that this would be fixed by the flatness of the new seat!

If they were actually stepping on you--I would have asked them politely to stop stepping on me; if they didn't stop, then I would have asked them to switch seats; if they refused, I would ask the FA to tell them to stop stepping on me or switch seats; if the couple still refused, then I have stepped on them once in their middle seats (pretending that I wanted to get to the opposite aisle), to make the point that it's not nice to do. If they persisted, then I would probably start moving my feet around every time they stepped on my feet, thus disturbing their step and making it difficult for them to walk on me while I'm moving--hopefully finally causing them to learn to walk on a non-moving surface like the floor, or at most my footrest and not my feet.

Also, IMO the person in the 2nd middle seat should have exited from the opposite aisle, stepping on/over the other aisle seat, instead of both of them stepping on you.

Last edited by EsquireFlyer; Dec 19, 2008 at 3:43 am
Old Dec 19, 2008, 4:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer

If they were actually stepping on you--I would have asked them politely to stop stepping on me; if they didn't stop, then I would have asked them to switch seats; if they refused, I would ask the FA to tell them to stop stepping on me or switch seats; if the couple still refused, then I have stepped on them once in their middle seats (pretending that I wanted to get to the opposite aisle), to make the point that it's not nice to do. If they persisted, then I would probably start moving my feet around every time they stepped on my feet, thus disturbing their step and making it difficult for them to walk on me while I'm moving--hopefully finally causing them to learn to walk on a non-moving surface like the floor, or at most my footrest and not my feet.
I am unfortunately the non-confrontational sort ... I usually just sit tight and bite my tongue and suffer! I should learn to bark and bite I suppose

Also, IMO the person in the 2nd middle seat should have exited from the opposite aisle, stepping on/over the other aisle seat, instead of both of them stepping on you.
I totally agree with you but I guess the wife had the herd mentality ie she followed her husband. The guy on the other end was a larger than life American and I was in comparison the petite asian. I guess they chose the easier way out.

Well guys, there are these sort of folks out there - those that would step on your foot rest to get out and once again when they get back to their seats. Beware!
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
ion.

The main reason for my paranoia is that I selected 14A, because it faces forward and is upstairs. My old C favorite 15 faces backwards.
Have you flown in the rear facing seat yet? Why make judgments on it without ever having tried it? Other than take off and landing, which are actually more fun in the rear facing seats, there is absolutely no difference in the flying experience.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:18 am

I totally agree with you but I guess the wife had the herd mentality ie she followed her husband. The guy on the other end was a larger than life American and I was in comparison the petite asian. I guess they chose the easier way out.
Indeed, the larger-than-life American probably would have given them a piece of his mid fight if they stepped on him every half hour.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Seriously, the new C seat also lacks lumbar support? Lower back pain is my only complaint when flying on the old C seat, and I was hoping that this would be fixed by the flatness of the new seat!
It does in the sleeping position. There is a small gap between the back of the seat and the base of the seat when it is fully reclined. But that's not the problem as much as the tapering of the cushioning in the lumbar area. When seated upright, the padding and support are fine. When lying flat, I think both are lacking.

Originally Posted by John26
Has anyone flown the new DL BusinessElite seats that are fully lie flat in the wishbone configuration? I would imagine this would be less cramped in terms of width when compared to the 2-4-2 configuration on UA's 744s.
I haven't flown in DL's new business class product, but I have experienced the similar product on NZ and AC. To be honest, I think UA's configuration feels less cramped than the herringbone style. I like the privacy of the herringbone style better for a solo traveler, but UA's layout better for a couple. Of course, my experience on UA was sitting in the two seat pair on the upper deck, not in the middle section of four downstairs.

I absolutely dislike the 2-4-2 configuration on UA ... in other words, if I don't get a confirmed aisle seat, I am not sure how I am going to survive getting in and out from the middle seats or the window seat.
As a 6-footer, I had no problem getting in and out of my window seat when the person in the aisle seat was in the lie-flat position. It takes only a nominal amount of dexterity and care to straddle the person in the aisle seat without disturbing him or her. This concern is vastly overblown, in my opinion. However, if you are less than six feet tall or have short legs, you probably should opt for an aisle seat. Or practice your pole vaulting skills.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:39 am

It does in the sleeping position. There is a small gap between the back of the seat and the base of the seat when it is fully reclined. But that's not the problem as much as the tapering of the cushioning in the lumbar area. When seated upright, the padding and support are fine. When lying flat, I think both are lacking.
Oh! That's poopy!!

So, any word on when UA is changing its premium seats again?

However, if you are less than six feet tall or have short legs, you probably should opt for an aisle seat. Or practice your pole vaulting skills.
Or just practice getting kicked in the shins when you decide to step on the passenger in the aisle seat.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, BA Silver
It's never available anyway

I have flown the morning 767 IAD-LHR new config six times in the last six motnhs. it always shows the new C class seat right up until departure. Three of those six times you turn the corner and boom, the old seat. Design knit picking aside, the experience the new seat provides is night and day from UA as usual. Never an annoucement, FA's seem irritated you noticed. My last flight, my seat mate was VP of a major Corp that had just dumped AA for UA. She had planned on working for the duration of the daytime flight. She of course didn't have the no longer available power cord adapter and neither did the flight crew to buy, borrow or sell. As a loyal 1K, I had to practically bribe the Purser to speak to her and explain how glorious the normal product is and apologize at all. You would think they would have certain flights virtually locked in. From Dulles, you hear that LHR, FRA, BRU, ZRH, AMS all get the new config randomly.

Also, UA refuses to answer when the 777's start getting conversions, since that is the longhaul flagship and main metal anymore.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 1:49 pm

I tried the new product on a 767 two days ago.

I have to say it is great! Very comfortable, screen is a great improvement and the bed is a lot better than other carries.

BUT: (N646UA - 767 refitted 2 months ago)
- my screen was already scratched
- overhead air vent MISSING, meaning that it was BROKEN and ducktaped down, causing air to flow in anyways and made a loud noise... (too bad they just re did the cabin)
- 1st and 2nd choice MAIN meals were NOT available, 1st choice pre-arrival snack meals not available.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by italian7
I tried the new product on a 767 two days ago.

I have to say it is great! Very comfortable, screen is a great improvement and the bed is a lot better than other carries.

BUT: (N646UA - 767 refitted 2 months ago)
- my screen was already scratched
- overhead air vent MISSING, meaning that it was BROKEN and ducktaped down, causing air to flow in anyways and made a loud noise... (too bad they just re did the cabin)
- 1st and 2nd choice MAIN meals were NOT available, 1st choice pre-arrival snack meals not available.
Sounds about normal . . . .
Old Dec 19, 2008, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
I recently tried it on ORD-SFO.... It is pretty good, above my expectation (which was admittedly low already considering it is UA).

However I found it a bit easier to sleep when it was not totally lie flat but rather slightly tilted... Like 170 Degrees... a bit like the old international business seat. I think it was because lumbar support in lie flat position is a bit... weak.

But I still prefer the new seat. They should put it up on 777s soon!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.