Wiki Posts
Search

777: F in 2-class, vs. C in 3-class?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2000, 9:18 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

777: F in 2-class, vs. C in 3-class?

Which is better SFO-IAD: First Class in a 2-class 777, or Business Class in a 3-class configuration? I'm buying a coach ticket that I'll upgrade, so First in 3-class isn't an option .

I did a search and found a couple of threads comparing First in 3-class vs. 2-class (gee, guess which one wins?!) and comparing the 2-class 777 vs. the 2-class 767 (not the choice I have available). But I couldn't find any information comparing 2-class 777 First with 3-class 777 Business.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. This will be part of a mileage run to Raleigh, NC to visit a friend there - I already have my 100,000 miles for 2000, but quadruple miles and a low fare were burning a hole in my pocket. $239 (after discount coupon) for 24,352 miles (including United Connection bonus) rocks!

[This message has been edited by johna (edited 10-06-2000).]
Old Oct 7, 2000, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
If the price is the same, go for F in the two-class. Why not be the top, instead of the middle?

"I will go first class. I will go third class. But I will never, never, travel second class." -- Noel Coward
Old Oct 7, 2000, 2:09 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
IMHO, Business Class.

On the one hand, there is no middle seat in F, and the catering in domestic F is better than domestic C (such as a greater choice of entrees and ice-cream sundaes).

However, note that the seat pitch on the 2-class 777s will be standard for domestic aircraft-- 38" in F. The 3-class 777 is configured for international routes, and pitch in C will be 48". Also in C will be legrests and individual video screens. (The domestic 777s have overhead video only.)
Old Oct 7, 2000, 6:26 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
just a miles comparison (if the class is a paid class and not 'just' an upgraded one; I profit on N-American-legs that if they are just added segments to my transatlantif paid business-class flights I get automatically into business/first for the N-American segments):[*] UA Mileage plus: 25% bus/50% first class bonus (not counting as status)[*]LH miles&more: 100% bus/200% first class bonus (counting as status)
Old Oct 7, 2000, 11:55 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Thanks for the fast input - I knew I could count on ya'll (ticket has to be bought today)!

Since it's a breakfast flight, catering won't matter that much...but 48" pitch plus leg rest does sound appealing, even at the risk of a middle seat. Not to mention that the 3-class offers a better probability of upgrade (but as a 1K traveling on a Saturday I'd probably get the upgrade on either aircraft).
Old Oct 7, 2000, 12:14 pm

the 2class 777 is terrible in F. No foot rest, no personal video.
I can't see the difference in food service between F in 2-class and C in 3-class.

I'd go for C in 3-class anyday.
Old Oct 7, 2000, 12:31 pm
Original Member

The difference in food service for transcons between F and C is:

Breakfast flights:
* Deli tray a la carte including salmon and roast beef versus pre-made deli plate with cheaper ingredients

Dinner flights:
* Mixed nuts v. Krap-Snax(TM)
* Possibly extra appetizer or larger/enhanced salad
* Ice cream sundaes v. Eli's cheesecake

[This message has been edited by QuietLion (edited 10-07-2000).]
Old Oct 7, 2000, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
For some reason I find F class on the 2 class 777 especialy cramped. Even though there are only 2 seats in the middle section I prefer the C seats on a three class. As a matter of fact I wondered why united didn't use the C seats for F on it's 2 class configuration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.