Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Statement about $150 change fee. Yes Virginia, there is a

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

... work around.

My meeting schedule was cut back a day. When I called UA to ask about a schedule change, they told me it was possible; but as a Premier Exec, I had to pay $150.
When I checked www.kayak.com, I saw other airlines had lower 1 way fares back home, and by lower I mean less than the $150 UA wanted to charge me.
I almost pulled the trigger on a 1 way USAirways ticket (allowing me to get UA miles), but I delayed.

Earlier in the week I called back to see if UA would wave the $150 change fee.

Several years ago, I was tutored by a Flyertalker on how to deal with bump situations. It's all about asking.

So since UA wouldn't wave the fee, I asked the ICC agent if he would deposit a CR1 or some e-500's into my account. He said no. Just as I was about to hang up and book my USAir ticket, he responded that he could give me a $150 voucher.
Just about made my day.

So my advice... you have nothing to lose by asking for a work around.

I can't believe I'm typing this but, the ICC rocks.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Do you know if there was a schedule change??

It is great that for UA not waiving a change fee they would give you compensation.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
No change.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
There is an even better and vastly more reliable work-around to airline change fees: it's called "Southwest Airlines."

Good job on talking the customer service rep into a voucher though.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
There is an even better and vastly more reliable work-around to airline change fees: it's called "Southwest Airlines."

Good job on talking the customer service rep into a voucher though.
Southwest Airlines is a joke and a mess of an airline. The times I have flown Southwest have simply been awful and extremely unpleasant. Their boarding process is rediculous, they're GAs and FAs appearance and attitudes are unprofessional and the airline overall is simply over-rated.

They're not even worth the low price (which are often times the same as the Legacies or more expensive I've found)

But to each their own I guess...
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I'm hardly a Southwest cheerleader, but I recently flew them SFO-RNO-SFO because I couldn't justify UA's fare premium. Their current boarding process was organized, disciplined and everyone behaved like an adult. Comparing that to a recent SFO-ORD, Friday at 4:30PM departure, where there was simply a cluster of 1K, 1P, 2P, 3P, pushing and cutting in line and I would have preferred Southwest. The inflight crew on that flight were professional, courteous, and treated everyone like adults as well. Made me willing to consider them for future short haul travel.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:02 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by USAF_O1
Southwest Airlines is a joke and a mess of an airline. The times I have flown Southwest have simply been awful and extremely unpleasant. Their boarding process is rediculous, they're GAs and FAs appearance and attitudes are unprofessional and the airline overall is simply over-rated.

They're not even worth the low price (which are often times the same as the Legacies or more expensive I've found)

As a 1K, I obviously show my loyalty to United. But calling WN a joke of an airline is crazy. They are probably the best run airline in the US.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:14 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by USAF_O1

Eeeeeasy there, trigger.
Yeah, UA's boarding process isn't w/out it's glitches I'm about sick and tired of fighting my way through the masses to board.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
As a 1K, I obviously show my loyalty to United. But calling WN a joke of an airline is crazy. They are probably the best run airline in the US.
Southwest may be well run for what they offer, their product just does not appeal to me.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I too, am a United loyalist, but as a back up, Southwest can't be beat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.