Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

*A working hard to ruin my Honeymoon trip - HELP!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*A working hard to ruin my Honeymoon trip - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2008, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I'm hung up on the bolded (mine) portion. Are you renting out the Air Asia plane?
When you book tickets with Air Asia each segment is a trip so BKK-KUL is one and KUL-KCH is two. Times 2 people is 4 segments x $150 = $600. Plus any difference in ticket price if they're even available.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I would try to call around 11 PM to Midnight EST and get the HNL call center, they are more helpful and should be able to go out of their way and help you.

UA does have the ability to open up an NC on their flights you just need to be firm and let them know what happened and that you paid C miles and want C class.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by mlasser
When you book tickets with Air Asia each segment is a trip so BKK-KUL is one and KUL-KCH is two. Times 2 people is 4 segments x $150 = $600. Plus any difference in ticket price if they're even available.
I'm quite familiar with Air Asia (you might notice my location). Did you search out the most expensive flights? I'm having difficulty finding BKK-KUL for anything over $100. And have never spent that much except to purchase the next flight out.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

I'm running into a big UA brick wall. UA simply will not rebook us and they claim it's a TG problem since it's a TG segment that cancelled. I've talked to supervisors who tell us the best they can do is rebank the miles and that there are no award seats available and they cannot free up other inventory.

They told me to call TG on Monday but since TG doesn't book UA award travel for Mileage Plus members, I'm betting they'll tell me that it's United's problem.

Now they insist there is no availablity in Y either and nothing the next day.

I'm quite familiar with Air Asia (you might notice my location). Did you search out the most expensive flights? I'm having difficulty finding BKK-KUL for anything over $100. And have never spent that much except to purchase the next flight out.
I'm not making it up BKK-KUL was $142 per ticket a few months ago.
KUL-KCH was 408MY. Maybe I got ripped off.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 5, 2008 at 11:36 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by nnn
UA can open award C or F seats for you on its own flights.
I believe this is accurate. When award itins come unstuck UA cannot force inventory on partners to make it right, but can do so on its own metal.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
I don't know why UA is so inflexible here (opening award space DEN-NRT-BKK) ... their flight loads on that date are quite light from what I can see (we're talking late January here)
Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
I believe this is accurate. When award itins come unstuck UA cannot force inventory on partners to make it right, but can do so on its own metal.
I believe you but what can I do when they say they can't? Telliong them they're wrong isn't working, neither is begging or pleading. I even had my wife drop a few H-bombs on the CSR during the call and nothing. If the CSR insists they cannot unblock UA metal seats, and the supervisor takes the same position, I'm not sure how to get them to change their minds.

They tell me there are no flights on 1/23, 1/22 or even 1/21.

Totally depressing.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Benny8444
I would try to call around 11 PM to Midnight EST and get the HNL call center, they are more helpful and should be able to go out of their way and help you.

UA does have the ability to open up an NC on their flights you just need to be firm and let them know what happened and that you paid C miles and want C class.
Sounds like you're running into various brick walls, but FWIW Benny's advice sounds good to me.

And keep calling every day to find out if C or F inventory has opened up on alternative routes. I vaguely recall that inventory is updated after midnight Central time, but maybe someone else has a clearer sense of this.

Again, hope this all works out.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I even had my wife drop a few H-bombs on the CSR during the call and nothing.
Not sure what an H-bomb is, but this doesn't sound like the way to win friends and influence people. If it's not a tactic you yourself would warm up to, don't try it. If you are abusive over the phone you run the risk of earning profile notes that will discourage any agent from helping you.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I need advice from you FTers.

I booked an award trip Honeymoon in Business Class that just got royally messed up with a TG flight cancellation. Original itin:

1/23 UA 1235 DEN-LAX 08:30-09:58
1/23 OZ 201 LAX-INC 12:10-18:30
1/24 TG 657 ICN-BKK 21:15-01:05

I booked AirAsia for a 09:25 fight BKK-KUL-KCH morning of the 25th.

Return is NC KRV-BKK-LAX-DEN.
Let me understand this a bit better. Your ICN-BKK flight is canceled. How is it you're flying KRV-BKK to begin the return? Kenya? As an open jaw this doesn't sound to be permitted to begin with.

I was thinking you could just attempt to purchase a separate ticket from ICN to BKK (or KUL). However this KRV-BKK leg has me a bit confused.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by BearX220
Not sure what an H-bomb is, but this doesn't sound like the way to win friends and influence people. If it's not a tactic you yourself would warm up to, don't try it. If you are abusive over the phone you run the risk of earning profile notes that will discourage any agent from helping you.
Actually I would warm up to it quite a bit because I like helping people. You on the other hand jumped to an incorrect conclusion and made a poor judgement call in being critical.

H-bomb is "Honeymoon" in this case. Thanks for your input.

Let me understand this a bit better. Your ICN-BKK flight is canceled. How is it you're flying KRV-BKK to begin the return? Kenya? As an open jaw this doesn't sound to be permitted to begin with.

I was thinking you could just attempt to purchase a separate ticket from ICN to BKK (or KUL). However this KRV-BKK leg has me a bit confused.
Sorry, that was a typo that I'll fix. KBV not KRV.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 6, 2008 at 12:26 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you get a flight from ICN-SIN or ICN-KUL and then have an open jaw? ...ICN-SIN return KBV-BKK....?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:05 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
The idea of flying in economy = making my wife cry and making me want to take some kind of action. Yeah, right, I would bawl my eyes out at the idea of flying in Economy.

Award tickets are simply award tickets that are subject to availability. TG cancelled its flight and UA tried its best to accommodate you.

Just keep calling OR you can always get the KVS Software. It has done wonders for me and I was able to book a crazy trip through the Middle East (Cairo, Riyadh, Istanbul) and through Europe (Amsterdam, Warsaw, Bucharest) for only 105k all in Business Class. KVS can really help you with the creative routing.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Can you get a flight from ICN-SIN or ICN-KUL and then have an open jaw? ...ICN-SIN return KBV-BKK....?
UA tells me they have no award seats open to SIN at all and nothing to KUL either. We've tried C anf F and now they tell me there's no Y either. As of last night they tell me they can't get me anywhere past INC even though we've had the tickets for around 7 months. so I can accept that or rebank. Really makes me want to fly them more so I can earn more miles.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
Ok, here's what I would do:

A) Set aside the Air Asia tickets. Pretend they don't exist.
B) Call United without mentioning the current itinerary, and try to problem solve the itinerary you're really after (BKK is just an intermediate stop AFAICT)
C) Be creative with b). Look at all your options - use the tools available here (KVS, Expertflyer, ANA tool) to try and get as close as possible to what you're looking for
D) Once you've found the best "new" option, see if you can adjust it to make use of the credits you have on AirAsia.

The process mistake I think you're making is that you're trying to do this by forcing a rescue of those flights you've already purchased. That may *or may not* be possible - and I wouldn't hinge the whole trip's success on that. Just pretend you never bought those tickets and reoptimize your current itinerary.

And, I strongly suggest you not share the booking stress with your (clearly stricken) wife. Sounds like she's not helping your calm-assertive energy.

-G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.