Wiki Posts
Search

Issue award ticket for other people

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,DL,CZ
Issue award ticket for other people

If I want to use UA mileage to book the United award ticket on UA website. Do I need to go to UA office to authorize?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I can just report from when you book by phone, they give you the option to go to the airport or respectively send you a ticket by mail.

This was 2 days ago.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
If the other people have the same last name as the MP account holder, then I've always used the web site without any problem or having to confirm at the airport.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Originally Posted by flyinbob
If the other people have the same last name as the MP account holder, then I've always used the web site without any problem or having to confirm at the airport.
Or if not. It's quite straightforward on .bomb.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:42 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
I even issue award tickets out of my wife's account for completely unrelated third parties out of .bomb with no issues. Guess online HAL doesn't know it's not her

The only time a ticket was held for a phone call was when I booked a first class seat for my MIL who has a different last name from both my wife (still has her maiden name) and myself. As we were on the same flight in Y, the phone agent saw a little light bulb come on that we actually were family and processed the reservation. No phone fee and no airport visit.

I've also sponsored upgrades online without incident for as long as such functionality has been available. Avoiding humans can be a good thing

Pat
Old Dec 5, 2008, 5:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Booked award tix for my wife (same last name) and son (different last name) on .bomb with no problems.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Recently booked award tickets for folks w/ different last names, for son-in-law (and daughter) and child (same last name as son-in-law), w/ no problems. Booked it on .bomb.

The booking was easy, but there may be more inquiry to deal w/ when they try to get on the plane, my point being that booking and boarding are each potential trouble points. There's threads on what documentation to supply your

In my case, problems are unlikely as we'll be on the same flight, but I haven't booked my ticket yet, like many frugal 1Ks miles are used for awards for family while I pay to fly.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
There is no need to authorize in person if you book online. Your account password is your authorization.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There is no need to authorize in person if you book online. Your account password is your authorization.
True! But as some have discovered, YMMV, too. I always play it safe and use a standard fill-in-the-blank letter I have saved on my system, to give to the traveller.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1P
I've done this online for friends, but I always make sure to fill out one of those authorization forms (is it called a bluey?) at the airport or at an RCC before their flight. After one episode where they almost turned away my wife at check-in because she doesn't have the same surname as me, and I hadn't signed one of the authorization forms before-hand, I now make sure this info is in the system.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:54 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by kevinsac
True! But as some have discovered, YMMV, too. I always play it safe and use a standard fill-in-the-blank letter I have saved on my system, to give to the traveller.
Do we have to write a authorization letter if we book online?

Can I use miles to buy tickets for friends or family members?
Yes, you can purchase Award tickets for other people (with or without your surname) using your miles, regardless of whether you are traveling with them.

If you are a registered user of united.com, simply log in to book with miles -- during the purchase process, you will be prompted to enter the traveler's name(s).
Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:14 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by johnnie198x
Do we have to write a authorization letter if we book online?
No.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:26 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
No.
I think there may be confusion about what an "authorization letter" is. No, you won't have to sign the official blue form, but it's always a good idea to give a letter to the other person with your personal information in case the agent has any question that it's a legitimate gift (whether you've signed a bluey or not).
Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I think there may be confusion about what an "authorization letter" is. No, you won't have to sign the official blue form, but it's always a good idea to give a letter to the other person with your personal information in case the agent has any question that it's a legitimate gift (whether you've signed a bluey or not).
An option perhaps, but not required by any means and mostly unnecessary.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
mostly unnecessary.
Tell that to the people who have had their upgrades and awards canceled, and their accounts audited for suspicion of selling awards because they "said the wrong thing" at checkin. It's cheap insurance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.