FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Has There Ever Been a 1K with Zero UA Lifetime Miles? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/895316-has-there-ever-been-1k-zero-ua-lifetime-miles.html)

PanHam Dec 3, 2008 4:03 pm

Has There Ever Been a 1K with Zero UA Lifetime Miles?

Stupid question, I know, but I'm honestly wondering, and thinking about how/why this could be possible (I also realllllllllllly hate my job, and am trying to pass the time with some good ol' fashioned FlyerTalk type Socratic debates).

Has anyone, or does someone know of anyone that has flown 100,000 EQM on UA, but flew the actual BIS miles on other airlines?

Yes, that'd be really stupid to gather the top elite status with an airline you never flew, but, I'm wondering if anyone could see an advantage/upside/a reason to do such a thing, besides crediting to a better frequent flyer program that actually lets you book awards (ahem).

Sorry. Humor me with this one.

UAX_Brasilia Dec 3, 2008 4:10 pm

I am BD Gold and have never stepped foot on a bmi aircraft or even Heathrow!

ryan182 Dec 3, 2008 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia (Post 10851700)
I am BD Gold and have never stepped foot on a bmi aircraft or even Heathrow!

That's curious, reading your profile your 1P + BD Gold. So do you find the ability to bypass *net blocking and I suppose free RCC access worth not being 1K?

Markieg Dec 3, 2008 4:13 pm

do tell more UAX_Brasilia, how've u done it, ua flying?

PanHam Dec 3, 2008 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182 (Post 10851713)
That's curious, reading your profile your 1P + BD Gold. So do you find the ability to bypass *net blocking and I suppose free RCC access worth not being 1K?

Yeah, that would be interesting. I think it might be something to try in the coming year.

UAX_Brasilia Dec 3, 2008 4:23 pm

I was actually just comped BD Gold a few weeks ago :cool:

I haven't made up my mind whether I should credit to BD to gain the benefits mentioned (RCC access for free would be nice, especially since I travel mostly on E120's with no E+ or F) but I am uncertain with the future of Diamond Club. So as it is now, I will use my BD Gold card as an avenue to RCC/US Club and continue to credit to UA ( I would have a hard time retaining both and if I could, I would go for 1K).

climmy Dec 3, 2008 4:24 pm

I don't think it's possible.

Doesn't UA require a threshold of UA metal to qualify for elite?

I vaguely remember seeing that in the T&C's

mahasamatman Dec 3, 2008 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by climmy (Post 10851786)
Doesn't UA require a threshold of UA metal to qualify for elite?

No.

stevenshev Dec 3, 2008 4:32 pm

Getting confused with AA/BA/QF, perhaps?

skywalkerLAX Dec 3, 2008 4:36 pm

Well... I would say the this 1K misses the "best" :D

ryan182 Dec 3, 2008 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia (Post 10851778)
I was actually just comped BD Gold a few weeks ago :cool:

I haven't made up my mind whether I should credit to BD to gain the benefits mentioned (RCC access for free would be nice, especially since I travel mostly on E120's with no E+ or F) but I am uncertain with the future of Diamond Club. So as it is now, I will use my BD Gold card as an avenue to RCC/US Club and continue to credit to UA ( I would have a hard time retaining both and if I could, I would go for 1K).

That makes sense, I was thinking that free RCC (40K miles) and better award redemption was probably not worth giving up the 1K perks, IMO anyways.

PanHam Dec 3, 2008 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia (Post 10851778)
I am uncertain with the future of Diamond Club.

Oh, yeah, I forgot that LH went in and ran train on BD's parade. I'll have to consider that.

jan_az Dec 3, 2008 4:55 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=6554Those posters who did the Baht Run in (I think it was) 2000, made 1K for $1000 and never setting foot on UA metal.

yyzprincess Dec 3, 2008 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by PanHam (Post 10851652)
Stupid question, I know, but I'm honestly wondering, and thinking about how/why this could be possible (I also realllllllllllly hate my job, and am trying to pass the time with some good ol' fashioned FlyerTalk type Socratic debates).

Has anyone, or does someone know of anyone that has flown 100,000 EQM on UA, but flew the actual BIS miles on other airlines?

Yes, that'd be really stupid to gather the top elite status with an airline you never flew, but, I'm wondering if anyone could see an advantage/upside/a reason to do such a thing, besides crediting to a better frequent flyer program that actually lets you book awards (ahem).

Sorry. Humor me with this one.

I see an advantage if one flies J on SQ routes Asia- South Africa or Asia -Australia or Asia- North America via Europe, Double Dip. Qualifying for SQ PPS and crediting EQM miles to 1K.

The 1K benefits: SWU & CR1 can be gifted to family,especially if one has an immediate family member who resides overseas. I find it is easier to get Business Class awards seats from Australia using my UA miles than my SQ.

n9536j Dec 3, 2008 7:43 pm

You could be GS as an exec, celebrity, travel arranger and all GS are 100k by default.