_CA to YCA buy-up allowed?

Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, National EE
_CA to YCA buy-up allowed?

Hi all,
Long-time reader, first-time poster. I have 27 EQS (21269 EQM) this year and likely just one more trip, an interview with a DoD facility in the WAS area. GSA web site shows ATL-IAD YCA at $121, and _CA at $110. If they put me on the capacity-controlled fare, can I buy up to YCA by paying UA the $11 difference each way? I could really use that extra 0.5 EQS each way to get me to 2P again. The retro 500 minimum restoration and the ATL-IAD-ATL would not get me there on miles.
Thanks,
Scuba2P
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
These are not public fares, so I don't think you can call UA and just pay the fare difference.

The original booking source could rebook you I'm sure, though.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Even with normal published fares, there's usually a penalty for buying up - you can't simply pay the fare difference (at least for non-refundable fares).

Welcome to FT, Scuba2P!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
One more thing, my understanding is that Government Y fares don't get the Y bonus. Can someone confirm?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:40 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Even with normal published fares, there's usually a penalty for buying up - you can't simply pay the fare difference (at least for non-refundable fares).
Not on the xCA fares, which, AFAIK, are fully flexible. Always.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by HaeMaker
One more thing, my understanding is that Government Y fares don't get the Y bonus. Can someone confirm?
You get 150% EQM on the YCA fares. You don't get the complimentary Y/B upgrades though.
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Correct.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:43 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Scuba2P, welcome to FlyerTalk. In most cases, you could "buy up" from _CA to YCA; but as was suggested, you can't do it via UA directly. You would have to have a governmental agency authorized to issue government fare tickets on UA, or the authorized travel agency used by the governmental agency, reissue the ticket into YCA. If a travel agency is used, there might be a service fee involved in the reissue.

Most _CA fares IME are refundable or reissuable without penalty (even though capacity-controlled) but the fare rules will always govern.

There's always the issue of how high a government fare an agency should be expected to absorb. But that's a topic for our TravelBuzz forum.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Not on the xCA fares, which, AFAIK, are fully flexible.
True, but the comment I was reponding to implied that you could simply pay the fare difference on published (non-xCA) fares, and I just wanted to clear that up.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by qasr
These are not public fares, so I don't think you can call UA and just pay the fare difference.

The original booking source could rebook you I'm sure, though.
True, you can't simply call UA and upfare. However, you can do it at the ticket counter on the day of departure. I've done it many times. Usually you need to find a good agent as some will turn you away initially because of all the gov rules associated with the ticket. Simply ask to buy up to the government Y fare and offer them cash to do it. Occasionally they get hung up about needing the original form of payment (usually an agency credit card or gov issued credit card) but the last time I tried it the rules also allowed cash. Do not expect to get reimbursed for the price difference though - you're purchasing EQMs out of your own pocket.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No change fees of any kind with gov tickets.

Originally Posted by HaeMaker
They certainly do get it.

One small bit of inflexibility. When changing flights the xCA fares can only be exchanged for a ticket of that fare basis or lower. You need to buy up to get on a flight that is sold out in the "x" fare bucket and some agencies force you to refund the xCA ticket and purchase a YCA from scratch (others don't and there is where the ability to buy up to a YCA from an xCA comes from).
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by qasr
You don't get the complimentary Y/B upgrades though.
Very true. In one of those mind boggling aspects, .Bomb actually tells you that a complimentary upgrade has been requested on your behalf ...but of course, it is bogus.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, National EE
Thanks for the info everyone. This would be issued by their contract travel agent, Omega Travel, so I will check with them. Their reissue fee as part of the gov contract is about $24, so I'll gladly pay that plus the small fare differential to get free luggage and E+ next year. It's very possible I may get YCA in the first place, on the short notice.

On the upgrade front, I may try and burn a couple E500's expiring 12/08. Though, CR7 is primarily on IAD-ATL (the E70 flight doesn't fit my time needs), and F basically means pretzels and a beer
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jgish
Very true. In one of those mind boggling aspects, .Bomb actually tells you that a complimentary upgrade has been requested on your behalf ...but of course, it is bogus.
Yes, and it actually interferes with sponsored upgrades. You have to consciously ignore the "requested" upgrade and enter your own manually.

Originally Posted by Scuba2P
Thanks for the info everyone. This would be issued by their contract travel agent, Omega Travel, so I will check with them. Their reissue fee as part of the gov contract is about $24, so I'll gladly pay that plus the small fare differential to get free luggage and E+ next year. It's very possible I may get YCA in the first place, on the short notice.
You might try dealing directly with UA at the airport to avoid the fee from Omega. I've never hear of a gov travel agency charging a reissue fee, but as I mentioned earlier, they all have their individual quirks.

As you suggest, short notice gov ticketing can be your friend. If you are given the choice of selecting your flight times and can divine which flights are only selling YCA tickets you're all set.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 1:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I've never hear of a gov travel agency charging a reissue fee, but as I mentioned earlier, they all have their individual quirks.
I suspect it's not a reissue fee per se, more than their normal service fee for any ticket issuance. On a recent gov't ticket, I inquired with the agency about a flight change and the agent said they would indeed charge the $35 service fee again. (We're with Carlson Wagonlit at my institution.) Seems like any time a ticket is issued, whether it's an original or a "re"-issue (change, cancellation, whatever), the agency will charge their fee.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 9:34 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM, AA Gold, MR Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond
Actually, you can buy up from an xCA to a YCA directly with UA over the phone... but only if you have a government credit card (either MC or Visa). It doesn't sound like the OP is a gov't employee, though, but rather traveling on the agency's dime, so this likely won't help.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by FormerLurker
Actually, you can buy up from an xCA to a YCA directly with UA over the phone... but only if you have a government credit card (either MC or Visa). It doesn't sound like the OP is a gov't employee, though, but rather traveling on the agency's dime, so this likely won't help.
Hmmm. IME I've never had any success doing it over the phone. Only at the airport As usual YMMV...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.