FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/893812-consolidated-delayed-cancelled-ua-international-flights-master-thread.html)

transpac-canuck Nov 29, 2008 12:03 pm

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Once again, a tired old 744 is sitting at the gate at O'Hare after an exhilerating tour of the airfield with a few hundred happy passengers. Mechanical problems with a generator and a separate problem with something to do with reverse thrust has us back at C16 one hour after scheduled departure.

If you're in Tokyo or are expecting to connect onward from Tokyo on a 744 tomorrow (Sunday), you might be waiting for our equipment to be rehabilitated.

And no, it has no new seats. :)

wxguy Nov 29, 2008 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by transpac-canuck (Post 10830027)
Once again, a tired old 744 is sitting at the gate at O'Hare after an exhilerating tour of the airfield with a few hundred happy passengers. Mechanical problems with a generator and a separate problem with something to do with reverse thrust has us back at C16 one hour after scheduled departure.

If you're in Tokyo or are expecting to connect onward from Tokyo on a 744 tomorrow (Sunday), you might be waiting for our equipment to be rehabilitated.

And no, it has no new seats. :)

Do you mean 881? 891 goes from LAX-NRT. At least UA doesn't need a 747 to go NRT-BKK today, so there's some slack in the system.

transpac-canuck Nov 29, 2008 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy (Post 10830061)
Do you mean 881? 891 goes from LAX-NRT.

Oops, yes. 881.

The mechanics came on board, reset the system, and now we're refueling because we burned so much kerosene driving around the airstrip. Fun.

Too bad captains aren't authorized to reset systems. Waste of time and fuel.

At least UA doesn't need a 747 to go NRT-BKK today, so there's some slack in the system.
Good point.

kluau88 Dec 4, 2008 3:10 am

Another mechanical ex-NRT 12/4...this time 838

Aboard UA 852 and just received word that our push back time is 7:30 PM as UA 838 to SFO has gone mechanical so now they are moving passengers from 838 to 852.

For those wondering looks like the wi-fi from the ANA lounge works if you're on a plane parked at Gate 38 ^

3-4 bars no less on this MB!

CRAP! Another update now departure time is 8 PM :(

kluau88 Dec 4, 2008 3:30 am

Looks like 838 had a problem with a fuel leak.

kluau88 Dec 4, 2008 3:45 am

Someone just asked for booze!

FA: Sorry we can't open the stuff on the ground.

It's 7:44 PM and nothing has been done with loading additional catering from what i can tell. The 1/2 empty business class cabin is now full.

kluau88 Dec 4, 2008 3:54 am

Jet bridge pushing back. Maybe we make the 8PM time.

abraxis Dec 4, 2008 4:04 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Dunno. The cabin crew and the ground staff seem to be chatting with litle urgency..

Oh yeah, I'm on this flight too.

Thore T Dec 7, 2008 1:42 pm

LHR-IAD-CUN - UA 923 delay into IAD Dec. 7

I was just on the phone with my stepdaughter on her way with a friend from LHR to CUN via IAD. 923 was delayed into IAD due to ATC, and they missed their onward connection to CUN. They have a single itinirary ticket, and even if the connection in IAD was tight, it shows up as legal on the bomb timetable. UA now offers them reticketing for tomorrow morning, but no hotel. I tried to speak with the UA agent, but she plainly refused.

I've had this happen to me several times, and got a hotel with no problem. Is this yet another new practice in the already rather dismal UA customer service? :mad:

mahasamatman Dec 7, 2008 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by transpac-canuck (Post 10830114)
Too bad captains aren't authorized to reset systems.

If it was that simple (and I question whether it was), they probably tried in flight and failed. Some repairs simply cannot be done in flight.

It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than the other way around.

Originally Posted by Thore T (Post 10870792)
I've had this happen to me several times, and got a hotel with no problem.

US will provide hotel for a 1P, but not for a GM (or 2P or 3P for that matter). See http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...EROUTE-AMENITY

chuck1 Dec 7, 2008 8:25 pm

Why is 847 on decision?

Anyone know why 847 IAD-GIG is on a midnight decision?

TA Dec 7, 2008 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by chuck1 (Post 10872290)
Anyone know why 847 IAD-GIG is on a midnight decision?

that would be IAD-EZE, not GIG.

edit: now delayed to 8am.

veezer Dec 8, 2008 9:57 am

If I'm understanding this profile correctly, since the reason was a mechanical, isn't a hotel accomodation provided regardless of status?

nm, I misread and didn't realize the hotel comment was in regards to an ATC delay.

mv1k Dec 9, 2008 6:08 am

UA 803 from IDA to NRT departing 12/7.

Was this flight canceled ?

phlwookie Dec 9, 2008 8:02 am

unitedcargo.com says it left early, unless it actually left 22 hours late and the site doesn't have a way to display that, which seems more likely:

Flight Number: 803 Flight Date: Sunday, Dec 7, 2008
Origin Airport Destination Airport Type of Aircraft Scheduled Departure Time Adjusted Departure Time Scheduled Arrival Time Adjusted Arrival Time Reason for delay
IAD NRT 12:27 10:40 16:40 15:07 OPERATIONS
NRT SIN 17:55 17:53 00:25 00:34 OPERATIONS

1K-SFO Dec 16, 2008 2:11 pm

SFO-FRA UA/900 Dec 15 - delayed ~8 hours... anyone know why?

I was on LH's SFO-FRA and heard UA's SFO-FRA boarding at a nearby gate -- all seemed fine and it taxiied out well ahead of us. Just saw online that it took a huge delay. Anyone know why?

Benny8444 Dec 16, 2008 2:16 pm

I just checked on line and it showed on time

Schedule to leave at 1:45 PM

Ripper3785 Dec 16, 2008 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Benny8444 (Post 10918090)
I just checked on line and it showed on time

Schedule to leave at 1:45 PM

OP said 12/15, yesterday.

milepig Dec 26, 2008 9:06 am

Why long wait for final weight clearance

942 ORD-CDG was troubled yesterday (12/25 departure).

First we were 1.5 hours delayed due a late arriving a/c from LAX and that went on and on - our scheduled 6:19p departure became 7:50, then 8:10, then 8:30 and I think we finally left the gate at about 8:45 (2.5 hours late).

We THEN sat in the penalty box forever waiting for our final paperwork to come through (weight/balance, etc.). While we sat there we watched several other widebody UA flight taking off, so I don't think it was a general dispatch problem.

Why would a single flight take so long?

BTW, we were scheduled to arrive at 9:40a, arrived at about 12:40 and then our luggage was "delayed" at the belt. Fun times all around.

joejones Dec 29, 2008 10:29 pm

UA881 ORD-NRT delayed on 12/28 due to "mental health problems"

Not sure if any fellow FTers were around to see this, but 881 had to return to the gate on Sunday because of someone with a "mental health problem" in the cabin. Did anyone see this?

From the way the announcement was made, it sounded as if some sort of obvious and comical outburst prompted this. I was sitting pretty upstairs so didn't notice anything...

CommittedLurker Dec 29, 2008 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by 1K-SFO (Post 10918057)
I was on LH's SFO-FRA and heard UA's SFO-FRA boarding at a nearby gate -- all seemed fine and it taxiied out well ahead of us. Just saw online that it took a huge delay. Anyone know why?

Same thing on 12/13. I know it was still sitting at the gate past 7 pm.

N227UA Dec 30, 2008 12:40 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 10871503)
US will provide hotel for a 1P, but not for a GM (or 2P or 3P for that matter). See http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...EROUTE-AMENITY

First, I believe you meant UA not US right? Second, where does it say that UA will provide hotel for 1P? I though UA will provide hotel for 1K but not 1P.

drobbva Dec 30, 2008 2:08 am

Originally Posted by N227UA (Post 10981425)
First, I believe you meant UA not US right? Second, where does it say that UA will provide hotel for 1P? I though UA will provide hotel for 1K but not 1P.

*golds (i.e. 1P) on an international itinerary get accomodations in irregular ops, even if due to weather.

KOJA Jan 17, 2009 9:32 am

Jan 16th UA924 WAS-LHR delayed 10 hours

A 10 hour delay, due to mechanical :-(
Will cause UA919 LHR-WAS today to be 10 hours late departing LHR (9:35pm).
Anybody have any idea what the mechanical was?
Also very poorly handled at the airport. First told flight canceled. Called reservation and they did not have any idea. Got rebooked via FRA but missed the 45 min check bags before flight timeline by 5min. No understanding from staff. While getting rebooked for a new flight today found out that the flight was not canceled but just delayed. Asked why passengers where not informed. No reply and no explanation.

Chapel Hill Guy Jan 17, 2009 10:34 am

We were supposed to be on that flight, connecting from ORD-IAD, but managed to get rebooked on UA958 ORD-LHR, saving us a connection and getting us into LHR four hours earlier.

I am very glad we got an amenable GA to put us on 958. That flight delay would have seriously messed up our plans.

dimramon Jan 17, 2009 10:34 am

You meant to say IAD, since there is no WAS.
CS not knowing about this does not surprise me. I have argued with them on more than one occasion when they said the flight was not delayed, while it was in fact, delayed.

kluau88 Jan 18, 2009 2:52 am

Anyone one on delayed UA 803 NRT-SIN Jan 18?

Just wondering if anyone is around either of the lounges waiting for the delayed inbound.

Sitting here wondering how they are going to turn this flight turned around in 1 hour.

Anyhow in the NH lounge with w8sn if anyone is around.

Ironically this is the 2nd flight in a row for me ex-NRT that has been delayed. Hope this trend doesn't continue on Friday :)

Aztec_Flyer Jan 18, 2009 7:39 am

I was booked in F on this flight, and I thought that it was handled well by UA.

They made the decision to cancel it 2 hours before scheduled departure, and this left enough time for some alternative routings to still be possible. I was in the C gates IFL and was paged to reception.

I was offered:
1. Business class on the BA flight direct to LHR (BA had no F availability).
2. F class with UA to FRA, and a connection in business to LHR
3. Hotel accommodation and meals, and remain with the flight.

I took option 2, and as I type I'm waiting for my bags to be delivered to my house (UA @ LHR called to say they would be here shortly).

Not really sure what else UA could have done given the circumstances. ( & thanks to the UA IFL staff who were very helpful).

ajamieson Jan 18, 2009 9:50 am

There was a very similar delay to that rotation on 7 Jan - huge delay.

BDLORD Jan 18, 2009 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Aztec_Flyer (Post 11097126)
I was booked in F on this flight, and I thought that it was handled well by UA.

They made the decision to cancel it 2 hours before scheduled departure, and this left enough time for some alternative routings to still be possible. I was in the C gates IFL and was paged to reception.

I was offered:
1. Business class on the BA flight direct to LHR (BA had no F availability).
2. F class with UA to FRA, and a connection in business to LHR
3. Hotel accommodation and meals, and remain with the flight.

I took option 2, and as I type I'm waiting for my bags to be delivered to my house (UA @ LHR called to say they would be here shortly).

Not really sure what else UA could have done given the circumstances. ( & thanks to the UA IFL staff who were very helpful).

Good choice IMO
The IFL lounge was open? I thought it opened at 11 AM?

ironmanjt Jan 22, 2009 5:26 pm

UA922 - cursed?

So, I've never had such bad luck as I have this month with 922 IAD-LHR:

27-Dec: Delayed from 09:45 to 06:00 the next day due to "fueling issues." 20:15 delay.

early Jan: Delayed from 09:45 to 20:00 due to "crew problems." 10:15 delay.

Now, tomorrow, 18 hours in advance, delayed from 09:45 to 18:00 due to "late arriving aircraft." This plane always comes overnight from GIG or EZE, both of which are on time. I suspect something fishy since loads are only about 30% on this one....

This is 40 hours of delays in 3 flights. UG.

ctkw Jan 22, 2009 5:30 pm

May be time to switch to 918 or 924! Sorry to hear about your misfortunes!

ironmanjt Jan 22, 2009 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by ctkw (Post 11125388)
May be time to switch to 918 or 924! Sorry to hear about your misfortunes!

I usually do take 924 - like last week - which is why this is so odd. These are the only 3 times I've ever taken 922, and all 3 times have been massive delays.

Now, to figure out how to get my last 2 SWUs from 2008 extended due to UA's problems....

ctkw Jan 22, 2009 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt (Post 11125394)
Now, to figure out how to get my last 2 SWUs from 2008 extended due to UA's problems....

Never hurt to call, I think they might consider extending 1 for your inconveniences.

ironmanjt Jan 22, 2009 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by ctkw (Post 11125497)
Never hurt to call, I think they might consider extending 1 for your inconveniences.

Problem is, I already had one extended. Just got the word: "Sorry, you had all year to use them. Maybe you shouldn't have waited until the last minute." :td:

IFLYUA Jan 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt (Post 11125371)
So, I've never had such bad luck as I have this month with 922 IAD-LHR:

27-Dec: Delayed from 09:45 to 06:00 the next day due to "fueling issues." 20:15 delay.

early Jan: Delayed from 09:45 to 20:00 due to "crew problems." 10:15 delay.

Now, tomorrow, 18 hours in advance, delayed from 09:45 to 18:00 due to "late arriving aircraft." This plane always comes overnight from GIG or EZE, both of which are on time. I suspect something fishy since loads are only about 30% on this one....

This is 40 hours of delays in 3 flights. UG.

Your plane is arriving ontime from EZE but the LHR flight is delayed due to required maintenance work.

transpac-canuck Jan 22, 2009 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by IFLYUA (Post 11125597)
Your plane is arriving ontime from EZE but the LHR flight is delayed due to required maintenance work.

Would that be maintenance they discovered they had to do while on the ground in EZE, or is this just maintenance that they scheduled really poorly? I have to assume it's the former, but it begs the question -- why were the comfortable flying it EZE-IAD and they're not comfortable flying it IAD-LHR?

I'm sure there are many "non-critical" things they can deal with when the aircraft is in a cost-effective place (such as a hub) to do the service, but a delay this big is strange and awful ... no other aircraft available to swap in?

I assume the delay is this substantial because LHR can't accept an inbound flight until after 6:00 a.m.? I'm guessing. I'm sure one of you guys knows all about this... (I'm transpac-canuck, not transatl-canuck!) :)

worldtrav Jan 22, 2009 8:20 pm

Perhaps the maintenance issue was discovered inbound to EZE and there were no parts there to fix it or right before departure back to IAD. In that case maybe the problem was given a one cycle deferral to get it back to IAD to fix the problem. Just a guess.

;)

ironmanjt Jan 22, 2009 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav (Post 11126118)
Perhaps the maintenance issue was discovered inbound to EZE and there were no parts there to fix it or right before departure back to IAD. In that case maybe the problem was given a one cycle deferral to get it back to IAD to fix the problem. Just a guess.

;)

Quite possible, but the delay posted 2pm EST, a full 6 hours before it was due to leave EZE.

This was known well ahead of time. Yes, I assume the major delay is due to the LHR curfew, which UA has already violated at least 5 times in January. (922 has suffered 8 delays of over 5 hours in the last 30 days....)

JSlo Feb 7, 2009 11:02 pm

UA BKK-NRT 890 2/8 bad delay, 1K props

Delayed bout 8+ hours it looks like. I was coming into BKK from CNX late last night, overnighting in BKK to catch the 6:40AM UA 890 BKK-NRT so I can connect with UA 876 NRT-SEA.

Longer story as short as possible, props to Worldmate Live for red alerting me the moment we landed in BKK that my morning flight had gone pear shaped, and upon confirming the worst, I ran to the checkin counters while dialing 1K line- they put me on an ANA flight departed midnight, got me into NRT early this AM, can make connections. It was very close timewise, but the 1K desk worked quickly and got me the new boarding pass.

Best line of the fraccas from the ANA res/check in manager "your agency has behaved very well, run to the gate you are on this plane" this of course after he had tried to tell me they didn't have enough food for me...(see other threads...).

Anyway, bummer on the delay, props to UA and 1K for covering the gap.

I have heard from others stuck in BKK or Tokyo an extra day. I'm sympathetic big time. I think Worldmate tipped me off really early and the fact I was already in BKK at 11pm inbound...worked out.