Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Old Aug 22, 09, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Again? ORD really sucks.
Old Aug 22, 09, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
It is UA 744 sucks, not ORD. Apparently, 895 to HKG seems fine, in fact it leaves 5 min early today.

Also, ORD do have spare 744 often at the handgars waiting for checks, so they can often pull several out to replace, rather than have to cancel the flight.
Old Aug 22, 09, 9:47 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
It is UA 744 sucks, not ORD. Apparently, 895 to HKG seems fine, in fact it leaves 5 min early today.
I must be doing something wrong (or maybe right) - I've never had so much as a mechanical-induced delay on a UA 747 (or a 737 for that matter). I have had several 777 *cancellations* due to engine or instrument problems.
Old Aug 23, 09, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I'm sitting in the ORD IFL now. UA835 ORD-PVG is delayed about 90 minutes due to "aircraft servicing." So far, UA881 to NRT that I am on is on time... boarding passes crossed!
Old Aug 23, 09, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by UncleJed View Post
I must be doing something wrong (or maybe right) - I've never had so much as a mechanical-induced delay on a UA 747 (or a 737 for that matter). I have had several 777 *cancellations* due to engine or instrument problems.
Hope you didn't just jinx yourself because you've been very lucky so far
Old Aug 23, 09, 2:15 pm

delayed international UA flights

I have been reading with interest re UA delays etc.
I will be flying on UA in First class but using points from my EK account.
I am an ordinary MP member .
I fly on UA 863 from JFK to SYD , I am aware that there is an aircraft change in SFO , if the flight from JFK is delayed do UA usually wait ?
If the delay is signifigant , do UA pay for accom overnight for first class passengers even though only MP member of the lowest status ?
thanks for any info
Old Aug 23, 09, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bme21 View Post
I have been reading with interest re UA delays etc.
I will be flying on UA in First class but using points from my EK account.
I am an ordinary MP member .
I fly on UA 863 from JFK to SYD , I am aware that there is an aircraft change in SFO , if the flight from JFK is delayed do UA usually wait ?
If the delay is signifigant , do UA pay for accom overnight for first class passengers even though only MP member of the lowest status ?
thanks for any info
The SFO-JFK flight will not wait if the SYD-SFO flight is delayed. However, they will try to reaccomodate you on a later SFO-JFK flight and you will be on one of the highest standby priorities. If you do have to overnight, as a UA F passenger, you will be given a hotel and meal voucher.
Old Aug 23, 09, 2:26 pm

would apply ?

Originally Posted by iceman77_7 View Post
The SFO-JFK flight will not wait if the SYD-SFO flight is delayed. However, they will try to reaccomodate you on a later SFO-JFK flight and you will be on one of the highest standby priorities. If you do have to overnight, as a UA F passenger, you will be given a hotel and meal voucher.

Thanks for that I will be travelling the other way though so I guess the same would apply

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 23, 09 at 5:09 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 23, 09, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM

Also, ORD do have spare 744 often at the handgars waiting for checks, so they can often pull several out to replace, rather than have to cancel the flight.
My experience:
12/24/08 UA835 (ORD-PVG) connection missed since the arrival flight stucked in the taxiway for 2 hours before getting into a gate.
05/22/09 UA835 flight cancelled (mechanical reason) at 11:30 pm (05/21)
05/25/09 UA836(PVG-ORD) delayed 6 hours (transferred to CO PVG-EWR)
07/02/09 ORD in mess due to a computer shutdown
07/06/09 UA836 delayed for 6 hours again, got on UA858 to SFO

It seems to me ORD is the weakest link here.
Old Aug 23, 09, 2:58 pm

Those planes sitting out at the hangars are waiting A checks and cannot fly until the check is completed. The check is done overnight so they are not really "spares". When the 744 flights out of ORD experience 5 to 6 hour delays it is generally because they are waiting for another inbound flight to turn, the airplanes waiting checks sit there.
Old Aug 23, 09, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by bme21 View Post
thanks for any info
863 will hold at SFO for a while if there are a) a sufficient number of connecting passengers; and b) if the hold isn't too long (say, 45 minutes; maybe an hour). The hold, if it occurs, won't necessarily be for the inbound tag from JFK.....the through flight number actually means little. The SFO-SYD leg might actually hold for connections from, say DEN. Just depends.

They sure won't hold for the Kennedy tag if it's one of those dreadful evenings where JFK departures are 3 or 4 hours late...........
Old Aug 24, 09, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Looks like another 747 will be out of service

Looks like a minor damage between an LH 747 and a UA 747 at ord as per this story:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...-at-ohare.html
Old Aug 24, 09, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Link not working
Old Aug 24, 09, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I did notice a LH plane at the ORD hangar while I was taking off about 4:30.

FWIW, the link doesn't work for me either.
Old Aug 24, 09, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
I did post about in this thread, post #105

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-thread.html

It was happened on 8/22 (sat), I was told by the RCC agent UA 835 ORD-PVG 744 got mechanical, the substitute stuck by LH plane, so UA had to take the third substitute, hence a delay of 8 hours from 10:30am til 6:30pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: