Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:21 pm

937 IAD-ZRH on Nov 16

Flight 937 - Tue, Nov 16
In Flight
Zurich, Switzerland (ZRH)
Scheduled: 11:55 AM
Actual: 5:10 PM
Reason: Schedule change due to Aircraft Servicing

Washington, DC (IAD)
Tue, Nov 16
Scheduled: 3:30 PM
Estimated: 9:02 PM

Is 'aircraft servicing' code for mechanical problems or something else?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by lidotaja

Is 'aircraft servicing' code for mechanical problems
Ding ding.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11/16: UA 879 HNL-NRT cancelled
11/17: UA 880 NRT-HNL cancelled

UA 880 the day before was dpt 2h35 late, due to mechanical. Looks like that issue was not completely resolved once the plane got to HNL.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA-Gold MM, SPG Plat
NOV17: PEK-SFO UA888 (B747) cancelled due to MXX

Taxied to runway before problem with airspeed equipment (pitot heat element?) was discovered... Returned to gate, and pax finally deboarded at about 16:45. 889 from SFO parked 2 gates down, but I guess crew went illegal before they could have turned it around.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP, VS (silver-for-life revoked), DL, WN, AS, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold
HKG-SFO got flugwerkzeuged up

So much for all the rah-rah in 2007 about UA's new flight planning software. UA862 Wednesday was delayed for an hour leaving HKG when they couldn't upload route of flight or performance numbers due to a failure at "our vendor's computer bank in Vienna, Austria."
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
A thread slamming a software flub for a 1hr delay? Really?

If this is the 1st time its hiccuped in 3 years.... now that would surprise me.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 2P
I noticed your home airport is SJC. Anyone who lives in Silicon Valley should know that computers do crash every once in a while.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP, VS (silver-for-life revoked), DL, WN, AS, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold
Wow, you guys should meet my customers. There's a difference between something running on your laptop or some B2C add-item-to-cart and mission-critical operational systems.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:35 pm

Well, I kind of liked your post because of the link to the other post which I never read before. I learned something. Sorry about your plight.

-David

haha, you got merged into another thread.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Nov 24, 2010 at 11:41 pm
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem

haha, you got merged into another thread.
Yeah, I knew about this thread, but didn't think 1 hour was worthy of it -- I think I remember someone posting saying the minimum delay to get into this thread should be 8 hours or so, and I agree.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:18 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Ugh, we were just deboarded from UA 875 SEA-NRT today and told that "if they can't find the part they need in the next 20 minutes, the flight will more than likely be canceled."

Screws my connection to BKK regardless and likely the majority of the trip, seeing as how I have appointments I needed to make on 12/2 in BKK and TG flights in Thailand on the evening of 12/2. Why again didn't I buy trip insurance?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hyatt-ist, SPG/Marriott Gold
UA903 MUC-IAD 29 Nov

Flight 903
Arrived at Gate
Munich, Germany (MUC)
Mon, Nov 29
Scheduled: 11:30 AM
Actual: 1:17 PM
Reason: Schedule change due to Weather
Gate: H48

Washington, DC (IAD)
Mon, Nov 29
Scheduled: 2:56 PM
Actual: 6:45 PM
Concourse C
Gate: C1

So I guess if the initial delay is due to weather, it goes down as a weather delay even though the first mechanical issue causes you to miss your assigned slot in the queue, and once that is resolved, a second mechanical causes you to cease deice procedures and return to the gate for over an hour.

So, wx + mx = wx. United's liability reduced.

Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:36 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
And, ugh, UA 875 SEA-NRT for 11/30 has been rescheduled for 12/1, departing 10:30am with a stop in SFO (!).

We went from leaving from SEA (albeit late) to leaving from SEA and flying to SFO to switch planes to pushed back to tomorrow, still flying to SFO first. (Apparently to switch planes and crews.)

APU went out, and without APU, we're not overwater legal. And we couldn't fly to SFO today... because they had no way to offload the extra fuel which would make us too heavy to land at SFO (and rightfully, UA doesn't want to take off and then dump fuel).

Understandable--and I had to explain to a few people at the gate why we couldn't fly overwater without the APU and why we couldn't take off with too much fuel for SFO--but I do wish UA did checks on things like APUs a bit earlier before departure on international flights. Frustrating nonetheless.

Only good thing is I'm currently booked in full Y on NRT-BKK for the rescheduled flight, which will push me over to 1K (whereas the flight I was going to miss BKK-HKT was going to leave me just short and scrambling to book a shorthaul back home). Still, sucks to be out prepaid hotel in BKK and now likely in HKT for 2 days, and a TG flight's airfare, but that's not UA's fault. Guess next time I'll buy trip insurance and thus guarantee have no hitch.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
Originally Posted by travelingman79
Flight 903
Arrived at Gate
Munich, Germany (MUC)
Mon, Nov 29
Scheduled: 11:30 AM
Actual: 1:17 PM
Gate: H48

Washington, DC (IAD)
Mon, Nov 29
Scheduled: 2:56 PM
Actual: 6:45 PM
Concourse C
Gate: C1

So I guess if the initial delay is due to weather, it goes down as a weather delay even though the first mechanical issue causes you to miss your assigned slot in the queue, and once that is resolved, a second mechanical causes you to cease deice procedures and return to the gate for over an hour.

So, wx + mx = wx. United's liability reduced.

I was on that flight and the experience was definitely frustrating. Got 10000 miles from UA this morning for the delay. Rolleyes indeed...
Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA1MM1K
12/6 UA862 SGN-HKG cancelled - what UA would do about my accommodation?

I got Easyupdate alert when I woke up at 2:30 am here in HCMC. It is operational. UA already put me on flights for tomorrow going back to the US.

My question is, what do they do for my accommodation? 1K line says they know nothing. Do I have to go to the airport to find out if they will accommodate me in a hotel? But I would rather not go to the airport to find out about if I can take care of it from my room.

Are they giving out vouchers at the airport, or do they reimburse my hotel bill for tonight (if so, what is the cap?), or they do nothing?

I don't think I have ever been in this situation internationally so I'd appreciate your input. BTW 1K relations is closed for the weekend so I don't know where else to call.

Thank you so much!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.