Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Old Jan 22, 09, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 2MM, DL Diamond, AmEx Cent, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Moms love me
UA922 - cursed?

So, I've never had such bad luck as I have this month with 922 IAD-LHR:

27-Dec: Delayed from 09:45 to 06:00 the next day due to "fueling issues." 20:15 delay.

early Jan: Delayed from 09:45 to 20:00 due to "crew problems." 10:15 delay.

Now, tomorrow, 18 hours in advance, delayed from 09:45 to 18:00 due to "late arriving aircraft." This plane always comes overnight from GIG or EZE, both of which are on time. I suspect something fishy since loads are only about 30% on this one....

This is 40 hours of delays in 3 flights. UG.
Old Jan 22, 09, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA1K, AAPlat, SPG-G
May be time to switch to 918 or 924! Sorry to hear about your misfortunes!
Old Jan 22, 09, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 2MM, DL Diamond, AmEx Cent, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Moms love me
Originally Posted by ctkw View Post
May be time to switch to 918 or 924! Sorry to hear about your misfortunes!
I usually do take 924 - like last week - which is why this is so odd. These are the only 3 times I've ever taken 922, and all 3 times have been massive delays.

Now, to figure out how to get my last 2 SWUs from 2008 extended due to UA's problems....
Old Jan 22, 09, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA1K, AAPlat, SPG-G
Originally Posted by ironmanjt View Post
Now, to figure out how to get my last 2 SWUs from 2008 extended due to UA's problems....
Never hurt to call, I think they might consider extending 1 for your inconveniences.
Old Jan 22, 09, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by ctkw View Post
Never hurt to call, I think they might consider extending 1 for your inconveniences.
Problem is, I already had one extended. Just got the word: "Sorry, you had all year to use them. Maybe you shouldn't have waited until the last minute."
Old Jan 22, 09, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt View Post
So, I've never had such bad luck as I have this month with 922 IAD-LHR:

27-Dec: Delayed from 09:45 to 06:00 the next day due to "fueling issues." 20:15 delay.

early Jan: Delayed from 09:45 to 20:00 due to "crew problems." 10:15 delay.

Now, tomorrow, 18 hours in advance, delayed from 09:45 to 18:00 due to "late arriving aircraft." This plane always comes overnight from GIG or EZE, both of which are on time. I suspect something fishy since loads are only about 30% on this one....

This is 40 hours of delays in 3 flights. UG.

Your plane is arriving ontime from EZE but the LHR flight is delayed due to required maintenance work.
Old Jan 22, 09, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by IFLYUA View Post
Your plane is arriving ontime from EZE but the LHR flight is delayed due to required maintenance work.
Would that be maintenance they discovered they had to do while on the ground in EZE, or is this just maintenance that they scheduled really poorly? I have to assume it's the former, but it begs the question -- why were the comfortable flying it EZE-IAD and they're not comfortable flying it IAD-LHR?

I'm sure there are many "non-critical" things they can deal with when the aircraft is in a cost-effective place (such as a hub) to do the service, but a delay this big is strange and awful ... no other aircraft available to swap in?

I assume the delay is this substantial because LHR can't accept an inbound flight until after 6:00 a.m.? I'm guessing. I'm sure one of you guys knows all about this... (I'm transpac-canuck, not transatl-canuck!)
Old Jan 22, 09, 9:20 pm

Perhaps the maintenance issue was discovered inbound to EZE and there were no parts there to fix it or right before departure back to IAD. In that case maybe the problem was given a one cycle deferral to get it back to IAD to fix the problem. Just a guess.

Old Jan 22, 09, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav View Post
Perhaps the maintenance issue was discovered inbound to EZE and there were no parts there to fix it or right before departure back to IAD. In that case maybe the problem was given a one cycle deferral to get it back to IAD to fix the problem. Just a guess.

Quite possible, but the delay posted 2pm EST, a full 6 hours before it was due to leave EZE.

This was known well ahead of time. Yes, I assume the major delay is due to the LHR curfew, which UA has already violated at least 5 times in January. (922 has suffered 8 delays of over 5 hours in the last 30 days....)
Old Feb 8, 09, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
UA BKK-NRT 890 2/8 bad delay, 1K props

Delayed bout 8+ hours it looks like. I was coming into BKK from CNX late last night, overnighting in BKK to catch the 6:40AM UA 890 BKK-NRT so I can connect with UA 876 NRT-SEA.

Longer story as short as possible, props to Worldmate Live for red alerting me the moment we landed in BKK that my morning flight had gone pear shaped, and upon confirming the worst, I ran to the checkin counters while dialing 1K line- they put me on an ANA flight departed midnight, got me into NRT early this AM, can make connections. It was very close timewise, but the 1K desk worked quickly and got me the new boarding pass.

Best line of the fraccas from the ANA res/check in manager "your agency has behaved very well, run to the gate you are on this plane" this of course after he had tried to tell me they didn't have enough food for me...(see other threads...).

Anyway, bummer on the delay, props to UA and 1K for covering the gap.

I have heard from others stuck in BKK or Tokyo an extra day. I'm sympathetic big time. I think Worldmate tipped me off really early and the fact I was already in BKK at 11pm inbound...worked out.
Old Feb 8, 09, 4:27 am

Programs: AA EXP & Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globlalist
Interesting to see how this will pan out.

Feb. 8's 890 departed BKK at 1:45 PM and is scheduled to arrive NRT at 9:58 pm (cutting real close to the curfew) and due to the curfew, the 744 can't turnaround to BKK until the next morning. Feb. 9's 891 is now scheduled to depart NRT at 7:00 AM arriving into BKK at 11:40 AM. Assuming they can depart BKK at 1:00 PM, they are still going to arrive NRT at 9:13 PM - and it might be too late to turn around the aircraft again. Is tis going to be vicous cycle for UA?
Old Feb 8, 09, 10:33 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Could it be delays from 891 LAX-NRT-BKK?

I was wondering. I am schedule to fly on UAL 891 from LAX-NRT-BKK on tomorrow morning 2/9. Out of curiosity, i checked the status of this same flight for Saturday 2/7 and today Sunday 2/8. Both dates showing it is also about 12 hours late leaving NRT-BKK.

The delay 2/7 was due to "crew change" and 2/8 was due to "Schedule change due to Airport Operations ".

What the heck is going on with UAL over there?

Will UAL put my traveling companion and i up in a hotel for that long of a period?

Edit: My NRT-BKK portion is actually on Tuesday 2/10 and not the 2/9 due to the international date line.
Old Feb 8, 09, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Just got back from SIN yesterday, leaving a week prior, and we had delays on 3 of 4 segments (started at ORD). Two of the delays were mechanical on 744's, including a wing crack that was noticed by a pax and only after we returned to the gate after the tug hit the front tire. One of the delays was the evening NRT-ORD because the NRT-BKK 744 was on mech delay and some genius at Chicago decided it was worth trying to pressure the ORD captain to take the "bad" plane back to ORD. The fact that the PM of Thailand was on the BKK flight might have had something to do with it....

Interesting comments from both the FA's and flight crew that the 744's are having a lot of mechanical problems lately, including seeing repetitive problems on the same planes.
Old Feb 8, 09, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by runningshoes View Post
Just got back from SIN yesterday, leaving a week prior, and we had delays on 3 of 4 segments (started at ORD). Two of the delays were mechanical on 744's, including a wing crack that was noticed by a pax and only after we returned to the gate after the tug hit the front tire. One of the delays was the evening NRT-ORD because the NRT-BKK 744 was on mech delay and some genius at Chicago decided it was worth trying to pressure the ORD captain to take the "bad" plane back to ORD. The fact that the PM of Thailand was on the BKK flight might have had something to do with it....

Interesting comments from both the FA's and flight crew that the 744's are having a lot of mechanical problems lately, including seeing repetitive problems on the same planes.
I wonder if he is a GS.....
Old Feb 8, 09, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
US will provide hotel for a 1P, but not for a GM (or 2P or 3P for that matter). See http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...EROUTE-AMENITY
I read the guide and saw this: ANY FLIGHT INTERRUPTION INCLUDING THOSE CAUSED BY WEATHER
OR ATC THAT RESULTS IN GS/1K/PASSPLUS/UF/UB OR STAR GOLD
(INCLUDING DOMESTIC PORTIONS OF AN INTL ITINERARY) CUSTOMERS
BEING UNABLE TO REACH THEIR SCHEDULED DESTINATION BY THE
LAST DEPARTURE OF THE DAY.

question: what is UF/UB? is that the same as 1p/2p/3p? just wondering for future reference if i'm not always 1k, if i will get a hotel as a 1p or something else. i can't imagine how awful it would be to have a weather delay and not have the airline pay for a hotel.

i also had an agent last week tell me that because i'm 1k if i fell asleep at the gate and missed my flight, they would pay for my hotel - is that true??? seems like they shouldn't. (the reason the agent told me this was there was a crazy man next tome insisting united pay for his hotel cuz he fell asleep at the gate...and i told her i hope ua does NOT pay for his hotel as it's totally his own fault)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: