Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: UA,DL,CZ
Originally Posted by msg75

Your second point is what makes me nervous. The third and final 1K agent I talked to today whistled and said "Wow" on the phone when they looked at 882 for Monday...she said the flight was overbooked by more than 100 and wondered how they would get everyone out. She assured me however that we were confirmed on the flight and had seat assignments (in E+) and that as long as the plane was there we'd be on it (still nervous).
Maybe BKK--PEK--NRT with CA is another choice for UA to get 100+ to NRT. Or BKK--ICN--NRT with OZ?
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:37 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Man, I'd be trying to do the VDB Rumba if I were you. What's wrong with a few more days in Thailand?

This flight needs to go double daily, and terribly so.
Nothing at all especially considering the snow moving into Chicago

Ok, so if I wanted to "help" by giving up our seats on Monday should I just call the 1K line and start negotiating now? What's the standard offer for a 24 hour VDB delay? (or is there one?)
Old Feb 21, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Airline: United
Flight: 837
Date: Sun, Feb 21
Aircraft type: Boeing 747-400
Miles earned: 1356

Departure
Airport: Tokyo(Narita) (NRT)
Scheduled departure: 6:45 PM
Estimated: 8:00 AM Monday, 22 Feb
Reason: Schedule change due to Crew
Terminal: terminal 1
Gate: 36

Arrival
Airport: Taipei, Taiwan (TPE)
Scheduled arrival: 9:55 PM
Estimated: 10:45 AM Monday, 22 Feb
Reason: Schedule change due to Crew
Old Feb 21, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
UA 901 FRA-SFO went mechanical today (2/21/10). The website shows rescheduled to 3:30pm tomorrow. All first and Business class passengers were given rooms at the Frankfurt Airport Sheraton and economy passengers were sent to some hotel with a German name. Dinner voucher for E30 and breakfast voucher for E24 were given at check-in at the Sheraton. Bummer.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Nothing at all especially considering the snow moving into Chicago

Ok, so if I wanted to "help" by giving up our seats on Monday should I just call the 1K line and start negotiating now? What's the standard offer for a 24 hour VDB delay? (or is there one?)
VDB's are handled at the airport and the 1K line won't be able to help with that. Standard compensation for delays over 6 hours (including overnight) is $600 in travel credits (good on any UA flight including international) and hotel/food/transportation vouchers. You may also try to negotiate a different hotel..sometimes there is leeway with that, and you could also ask that you be put in business class for free on your way home with no SWU. No guarantee you'll get that though.

There was a great thread on here a month or so ago by an FT'er who managed (along with his wife) to be VDB'd 4 days in a row trying to get out of EZE. They each got $600 per day. Sweet deal! Thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-8-2010-a.html
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
VDB's are handled at the airport and the 1K line won't be able to help with that.
They certainly can and do preemptively remove passengers by phone if the loads warrant it. I'm not sure if it is the 1K desk that does it or a special desk.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Another mess today (2/22) BKK-NRT UA 882...

Mass chaos at BKK Monday morning as all the people from the cxled 882 from Sunday showed up along with the scheduled Monday passengers for a single 747 to NRT. I had already called the 1K desk three times prior to make sure we had seats and were protected to get out of BKK on 2/22 and was assured every time that I was good as gold...

Well 650+ people trying to check in for one plane with NO dedicated 1K or C class line and guess what? A single mass line winding away from the check-in counters. Was 3 hours early and I identified myself as a 1K flying in C to three different UA employees (including a Sup) and was told to go to the back of the line and wait..."Same Same...One Line Only!"

Of course our "confirmed" "protected" seats magically disappeared by the time we got to the front of the line. They had big signs printed at each check-in station announcing that every passenger would receive $300 and another night at the "Miracle" airport hotel (thankfully we high-tailed it back to the Sheraton the night before...apparently the "miracle" hotel was anything but).

Then the "big boss" (as she was referred to by the other agents) admitted that tomorrow (Tuesday) would be no better than today since they were NOT getting an extra plane and 882 for Tuesday was overbooked by over 200! At this point people were just demanding to get out of BKK (as was I).

They eventually got a lot of people to take BKK-MNL-LAX on Philippine Air...but having transited through MNL before there was no way I would go for that. Here's what we wound up with (trust me...this was the ONLY way to get out today with confirmed non-standby segments)...

TG 455 2/22 BKK-SYD 1825-0735 (economy)
UA 840 2/23 SYD-LAX 1525-0952 (waitlisted NC but wide-open)
UA 840 2/23 LAX-ORD 1212-1814 (confirmed F)

Unreal...
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

Mass chaos at BKK Monday morning as all the people from the cxled 882 from Sunday showed up along with the scheduled Monday passengers for a single 747 to NRT. I had already called the 1K desk three times prior to make sure we had seats and were protected to get out of BKK on 2/22 and was assured every time that I was good as gold...

Well 650+ people trying to check in for one plane with NO dedicated 1K or C class line and guess what? A single mass line winding away from the check-in counters. Was 3 hours early and I identified myself as a 1K flying in C to three different UA employees (including a Sup) and was told to go to the back of the line and wait..."Same Same...One Line Only!"

Of course our "confirmed" "protected" seats magically disappeared by the time we got to the front of the line. They had big signs printed at each check-in station announcing that every passenger would receive $300 and another night at the "Miracle" airport hotel (thankfully we high-tailed it back to the Sheraton the night before...apparently the "miracle" hotel was anything but).

Then the "big boss" (as she was referred to by the other agents) admitted that tomorrow (Tuesday) would be no better than today since they were NOT getting an extra plane and 882 for Tuesday was overbooked by over 200! At this point people were just demanding to get out of BKK (as was I).

They eventually got a lot of people to take BKK-MNL-LAX on Philippine Air...but having transited through MNL before there was no way I would go for that. Here's what we wound up with (trust me...this was the ONLY way to get out today with confirmed non-standby segments)...

Unreal...
Wow! What an unreal experience! Disappointed to hear that they axed the 1K/C line. You would think they would still take you , even if they didn't have a specific line. Good luck on getting out!!!

OTOH, I bet you have accumulated a huge amount of UA e-certs.

Safe travels!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:12 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Unreal...
UnbeLIEVable.

I'd ask why United won't send another plane out to BKK but I'm sure I already know the answer: They don't have enough airframes.

Fortunately I've got quite a bit of time left in BKK, otherwise I'd be right mad waiting in that line. It was bad enough when things went smoothly. United is face-planting big time on this one.

And people wonder why nobody wants to pay for C or F...
Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:04 am
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs

Unreal...
I hope you can get an ETA (should you need one) for Australia online and can go landside and enjoy Sydney, rather than spending the day in the airport. Perhaps TG can give you one for free when you check-in? I'd like to hear how the rest of your trip turns out...
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by aep
I hope you can get an ETA (should you need one) for Australia online and can go landside and enjoy Sydney, rather than spending the day in the airport. Perhaps TG can give you one for free when you check-in? I'd like to hear how the rest of your trip turns out...
Home finally tonight over FIFTY hours from when we first showed up at BKK for Monday's flight (NOT counting the 24 hour delay from Sunday's canceled flight).

Don't want this to turn into my personal trip report but here's a quick wrap-up...

After we were told 882 left without us on Monday morning we had 10+ hours at BKK before our overnight TG BKK-SYD flight (9 hours in 60th row Y).

Had ETA's already (we were in SYD in September and they're good for 12 months) so we stored our carry-ons, hopped the train to Circular Quay for breakfast and chilled out near the Opera House drinking beer til it was time to head back.

At the ANZ lounge Annie came through (of course) and cleared our upgrades to C for SYD-LAX. Icing on the cake was that our bags went SYD-SFO (they only had 8+ hours to get them on the right plane!) and didn't show up at LAX. According to baggage at ORD they're still in SFO and are coming home on the red-eye tonight.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Home finally tonight over FIFTY hours from when we first showed up at BKK for Monday's flight (NOT counting the 24 hour delay from Sunday's canceled flight).

Don't want this to turn into my personal trip report but here's a quick wrap-up...

After we were told 882 left without us on Monday morning we had 10+ hours at BKK before our overnight TG BKK-SYD flight (9 hours in 60th row Y).

Had ETA's already (we were in SYD in September and they're good for 12 months) so we stored our carry-ons, hopped the train to Circular Quay for breakfast and chilled out near the Opera House drinking beer til it was time to head back.

At the ANZ lounge Annie came through (of course) and cleared our upgrades to C for SYD-LAX. Icing on the cake was that our bags went SYD-SFO (they only had 8+ hours to get them on the right plane!) and didn't show up at LAX. According to baggage at ORD they're still in SFO and are coming home on the red-eye tonight.
Glad to hear that you made it home safely^, even though it took fifty-hours
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA GM

What kind of compensation were you offered/accepted? Did you receive an apology e-mail about the delay? Did you go to www.united.com/appreciation ?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:07 am
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
There are far worse ways to spend an arvo! :-) Glad to hear you got home ok, with a load of extra miles!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 26, 2010 at 2:53 am Reason: language
Old Mar 7, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
UA891 LAX-NRT Cancelled Mar 7

Due to leave LAX 11:39 - on advisory for departure at 15:30. Will misconnect for all UA Asia connections including BKK UA881 for sure, leading to 24 hour delays for connections if staying on UA metal - even assuming space is available.

Question. What is typical UA practice (not necessarily policy) for mileage tickets rebooking on Star Alliance flights instead of UA metal on these routes?

I will soon find out myself and will advise.

Tks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.