Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2010, 8:36 pm
In memoriam

[QUOTE=sbratcher;13398614]
Originally Posted by danielb6752
I wouldn't bother just yet - I had a 4 hour diversion to LHR on a FRA-ORD 777 flight last December, and the United customer service folks emailed me the united.com/appreciation email before we even landed, once they knew the extent of our delay (about 4 hours).

Got caught in last wee's snowmageddon. My NRT-IAD was diverted to ORD and the next day's flight nack home was 4 hours late leaving due to 2 planes down for mx. I have received comp emails from United for both problems.
That makes me say "grrrr." I was canceled twice on BER-FRA-IAD (the FRA-IAD leg, of course) due to weather... the second time, the flight was okay when I boarded in BER but by the time I landed in FRA, FRA-IAD was cancelled and I was rebooked for the following day. Which left me in a strange city, where I knew nobody, delivered there by United, and without compensation for a hotel room. I was ultimately told to go to the hotel where UA crew stays and ask for the special rate (which I did, and got) and to save the receipts and send an email. Which I did four days ago to the 1K Voice email address, and no response. At all. So I'll ping them tomorrow.

But I say "grr" since you received comps from UA for no problem. I got canceled once, then left stranded in a strange city, and I'm having to fight to even get a response! Grr!!! :-)
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:12 am
In memoriam

Wow. Nevermind above. Got a very nice letter from UA offering me reimbursement for my hotel stay and a certificate redeemable for future travel. Very well handled by UA. No more "grr" here.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
UA 882 2/21 BKK-NRT canceled

Show up at BKK Sunday morning (2/21) for 882 BKK-NRT (upgraded all the way to ORD in NC) and it's chaos. 882 was listed as canceled on the board and they told (practically) everyone that there was no way out today to NRT, HKG or anywhere else and to huddle around and wait for a shuttle to an airport hotel.

Not at all happy I asked about compensation. The agent said the airport hotel, 3 meals and free internet was my compensation! Gee...thanks. But then a supervisor came by and handed me two blue "Our apologies for the inconvenience" cards to fill out and send in.

Ok, this is my first time dealing with a cxled flight with a 24 hour delay. Do I just fill out the card and send it in and hope for the best? I keep up on the compensation thread but what the heck does this deserve?

The supervisor also said the flight went mechanical in NRT.

PS - I did get on the horn with the 1K desk asap and they couldn't find any way out of BKK either.

PPS - If I'm going to be stuck in BKK for an extra day I'm not staying at the Miracle Hometel which is where they were shipping everyone (they said the Novotel was full)...so I grabbed mrsmsg75, hopped in a cab, and called the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and got a great deal and they let us check in at 7:00 am.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Sorry to hear that.. but, there are worse places to be stranded! Hopefully your upgrades will hold up tomorrow. Go online (maybe wait til you get home..just to make sure the trip is over and nothing else happened worth writing about) and visit the address shown on the card. There will likely be an option of some bonus miles or an e-cert good on a future flight. I predict $250 to $300 each, or 4,000 to 6,000 bonus miles and whatever you choose will be in your account within a couple days. Don't count on being reimbursed for your hotel since they offered you accommodations. If whatever they offer isn't sufficient, then I would not accept anything through the website and instead write an email to 1kvoice.... tell them what you were offered and ask for what you're actually seeking. If you don't get your upgrades all the way home you can argue to get your upgrade instruments back (ie if you only get a partial upgrade home when you were originally confirmed all the way).

Don't be mad about the airport agent's response about compensation. It's not really their job to get into that other than to provide the hotel, food, and transportation. Other compensation is not typically handled by the airport.

Last edited by SEA1K4EVR; Feb 20, 2010 at 7:13 pm
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Thanks for the quick response! Not expecting anything for the hotel...I knew that would be on my dime.

The blue cards are different from ones I've been handed on board (i.e. for broken ife) that tell you to log on to the customer appreciation website. These are triple folded blue cards pre-addressed back to WHQ with an area to fill in your personal information on the inside and then seal it up and send it in (and down in the corner on the front it says "International"). No mention of going on the website.

I sure hope they offer more than $250 or $300 for a 24 hour mechanical delay...we got that on the flight over for no IFE in the Y cabin, but we were in C and the IFE worked great!
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
The can't even get you out via SIN, or via Europe even?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry to hear of your flight cancellation, OP.

I think this was due to the fact that the IAD-NRT aircraft that encountered turbulence and sustained cabin damage (overhead panels) was not able to continue on to BKK for obvious reasons.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
There are Business Class seats being displayed in inventory for TG's BKK-LAX nonstop tonight.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA 881 NRT-BKK yesterday (Sat. 20 Feb.) was cancelled so no aircraft in BKK. UA usually tries to accommodate F and C customers on the NH and TG flights but those might have been full. FWIW, I always monitor the in-bound flight and once, when it was cancelled, started working the issue the day before. UA put me on an NH flight in C (was holding NC). Others have reported similar experiences.

I would start working the NC seats for tom'w's flights now.

Last edited by transpac; Feb 20, 2010 at 8:14 pm
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
The can't even get you out via SIN, or via Europe even?
Two different agents at the 1K desk swore they looked at everything and nothing would get us back any sooner than Monday morning (we were originally scheduled to be home Sunday evening).

Every option getting out of BKK would miss the long-haul back to the States (according to them)...one agent was willing to put us on Cathay to HKG but we would have to spend the night there and leave in the morning (to arrive at ORD Monday morning).

Saw the posts about the turbulence over Alaska to NRT...never put two and two together...
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by msg75
The blue cards are different from ones I've been handed on board (i.e. for broken ife) that tell you to log on to the customer appreciation website. These are triple folded blue cards pre-addressed back to WHQ with an area to fill in your personal information on the inside and then seal it up and send it in (and down in the corner on the front it says "International"). No mention of going on the website.!
Those sound like the old "Skykits". You can skip mailing it in and just write 1KVoice if you prefer.

When you view your itinerary online does it show if you're in business on your re-booked flights?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
When you view your itinerary online does it show if you're in business on your re-booked flights?
Originally was confirmed ug'ed on all segments BKK-NRT-SEA-ORD...now BKK-NRT leg is waitlisted and the other two are confirmed (for Monday's flights)...

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
There are Business Class seats being displayed in inventory for TG's BKK-LAX nonstop tonight.
On the line with 1K now...they're saying they can't put me in C on TG because I was NC not paid C...

Originally Posted by transpac
UA 881 NRT-BKK yesterday (Sat. 20 Feb.) was cancelled so no aircraft in BKK. UA usually tries to accommodate F and C customers on the NH and TG flights but those might have been full. FWIW, I always monitor the in-bound flight and once, when it was cancelled, started working the issue the day before. UA put me on an NH flight in C (was holding NC). Others have reported similar experiences.

I would start working the NC seats for tom'w's flights now.
Would have taken a downgrade on NH or TG just to get out today (need to be in Chicago on Monday)...but both BKK agents and 1K agents swore everything was full.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would have taken a downgrade on NH or TG just to get out today (need to be in Chicago on Monday)...but both BKK agents and 1K agents swore everything was full.
Did you specifically ask to fly in Economy on TG 676 or NH 954? I assume UA worked all the accommodations (paid F, paid C, etc.) yesterday/last night with TG and NH and for whatever reason you didn't make that filter. Flights are full these days ex-BKK more so on Sundays; I'm impressed they can get everybody out tomorrow, but maybe there are some VDB's.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by transpac
Did you specifically ask to fly in Economy on TG 676 or NH 954? I assume UA worked all the accommodations (paid F, paid C, etc.) yesterday/last night with TG and NH and for whatever reason you didn't make that filter. Flights are full these days ex-BKK more so on Sundays; I'm impressed they can get everybody out tomorrow, but maybe there are some VDB's.

Yeah, I told the Supervisor at check-in that we'd take anything to get out of BKK. She said that the TG and NH flights were full to begin with and the only people that got accommodated on those flights were paid F passengers from 882.

Your second point is what makes me nervous. The third and final 1K agent I talked to today whistled and said "Wow" on the phone when they looked at 882 for Monday...she said the flight was overbooked by more than 100 and wondered how they would get everyone out. She assured me however that we were confirmed on the flight and had seat assignments (in E+) and that as long as the plane was there we'd be on it (still nervous).

To follow-up on a point made by SEA1K4EVR, since I had all three legs cleared to NC (and F domestically) before, and now I'm only cleared on 2/3 do I really have a case to ask for my SWUs back when I get home?
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Your second point is what makes me nervous. The third and final 1K agent I talked to today whistled and said "Wow" on the phone when they looked at 882 for Monday...she said the flight was overbooked by more than 100 and wondered how they would get everyone out. She assured me however that we were confirmed on the flight and had seat assignments (in E+) and that as long as the plane was there we'd be on it (still nervous).
Man, I'd be trying to do the VDB Rumba if I were you. What's wrong with a few more days in Thailand?

This flight needs to go double daily, and terribly so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.