Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Old Feb 15, 10, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
The plane continued its regular flight path (to the northwest) for another 45 minutes or so, when the pilot announced that the flight was returning to LAX. The pilots had to jettison fuel because the plane was too heavy. We landed at LAX around 3:30 PM.

At first I wondered why we did not divert to PDX, which was the closest airport at the time the medical emergency was declared, but I guess it made sense to return to LAX, because an immediate relief flight crew was available to get the plane back to NRT.
LAX makes the most sense as you'd have more time to burn and jettison more fuel heading back to LAX. Better than circling PDX, SEA, or SFO. Besides, UA's ground staff at PDX probably doesn't have the ground equipment necessary to support a 777.
Old Feb 15, 10, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by warreng24 View Post
LAX makes the most sense as you'd have more time to burn and jettison more fuel heading back to LAX. Better than circling PDX, SEA, or SFO. Besides, UA's ground staff at PDX probably doesn't have the ground equipment necessary to support a 777.
SEA might not have been a bad idea since they already have the SEA-NRT flight.

OP: did UA provide you with a hotel in LAX since you had to overnight?
Old Feb 15, 10, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since you technically left US. Did you have to reclear immigration again?
Old Feb 15, 10, 8:40 am

Programs: CX MPC Silver, Hilton Diamond
Here's the info from FlightAware regarding the diversion.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...953Z/KLAX/KLAX

Also, it appears that this delay has caused the NRT-ICN flight to be delayed significantly. UA 891 from NRT to ICN now departs at 8am on 2/16 instead of 6:15pm on 2/15.
Old Feb 15, 10, 8:42 am

Location: Los Angeles, CA USA UA Premier Plat , 1.24MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post

OP: did UA provide you with a hotel in LAX since you had to overnight?
I live in LA so I did not ask for a free hotel room. But last year on another flight from LAX to NRT, I accepted a VDB travel voucher. I was offered a free hotel room at that time. I now wonder if it would be fruitful to request some kind of compensation from UA Customer Service due to the diversion. Any thoughts among the FT members on this?

Originally Posted by fumitani View Post
There was some confusion among the UA groundstaff on this. They were not sure. PAX were not allowed to deplane, with the exception of the few of us who re-booked while we were on plane. Ultimately, those of us who re-booked did not clear immigration. The plane parked at Gate 76, and I simply walked out through the main terminal (7). It would have been interesting to have to fill out a customs form and indicate what countries had been visited on the trip.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 15, 10 at 3:19 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 15, 10, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fumitani View Post
How did they technically leave if there is no exit immigration in the US?
Old Feb 15, 10, 10:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by Ripper3785 View Post
Well, they should have collected the immigration cards for visitors to the U.S., if it ended up coming down to that.
Old Feb 15, 10, 11:50 am

Programs: UAM+ 1P, HolidayInn Priority Gold, Hyatt Gold Passport, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, ANA silver
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd View Post
https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com/CPR.jsp
and fill it out. Give all the pertinent details of your flight.
where is the space in this form to let you fill in the problem and detail of the flight?
Old Feb 15, 10, 2:18 pm

Programs: 1.2MM
Originally Posted by Ripper3785 View Post
I would imagine, since you probably never left US airspace, and you never touch ground internationally, this wouldn't be an issue. As all the passengers were secure and accounted for.
Old Feb 15, 10, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA MM *G; Lifetime United Club; CX Gold; HH Diamond
The craft for HKG-ORD today had a problem today 2/15 so they switched the craft originally planned to do HKG-SFO for the ORD (last minute gate change). The SFO flight is now showing delayed to 2/16.

I am sure the SFO pax are getting rebooked on various airlines... Otherwise they will have to spend an extra night in HKG.

Luckily, I was on the ORD flight and we arrived ORD 2 hours late.
Old Feb 15, 10, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
but I guess it made sense to return to LAX, because an immediate relief flight crew was available to get the plane back to NRT.
This was most likely the determining factor in choosing LAX for the return.

However, I imagine if the FA required immediate medical attention, the plane would have landed at a much closer airport.
Old Feb 15, 10, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, KE Morning Calm
Originally Posted by gijoe24jp View Post
Here's the info from FlightAware regarding the diversion.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...953Z/KLAX/KLAX

Also, it appears that this delay has caused the NRT-ICN flight to be delayed significantly. UA 891 from NRT to ICN now departs at 8am on 2/16 instead of 6:15pm on 2/15.
I guess many people are missing their work on 2/16 (Long weekend - Lunar New year's holiday)

What about passengers (USA-NRT-ICN) from countries which require VISA to enter Japan? Do they have to stay at NRT terminal?
Old Feb 16, 10, 4:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
I now wonder if it would be fruitful to request some kind of compensation from UA Customer Service due to the diversion. Any thoughts among the FT members on this?
I wouldn't bother just yet - I had a 4 hour diversion to LHR on a FRA-ORD 777 flight last December, and the United customer service folks emailed me the united.com/appreciation email before we even landed, once they knew the extent of our delay (about 4 hours).

Snagged a $350 domestic e-cert for that.
Old Feb 16, 10, 4:46 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
UA949 LHR - ORD cxld 16 Feb

I'm told due to mx. My LHR - ORD - MCI flight is now LHR - IAD - MCI and gets me there 26 minutes sooner. I just hope the flight is on time as the connection is a little tight in IAD, and we haven't even started boarding at LHR (T-14 minutes). I'm told that loads were light on the ORD flight so everyone could be reaccomodated (mostly via IAD) and judging by the gate area this flight is going to be packed!

I was a bit surprised by the rebooking procedure. I wasn't notified by UA about the cxld flight. Called UA on the UK number > routed to an Indian call centre. They gave me the flight option (which I was happy with) but told me I need to call my TA to have the booking changed. Expedia.de told me that my flight wasn't showing as cancelled, and that I needed to call UA. The second time I called UA I called the US number - spoke to a very good agent who told me that the Indian call centre were stupid, and that they had also made a reservation for me via ORD on the FOLLOWING DAY!
Old Feb 16, 10, 5:56 am

Programs: UA Platinum
compensation

[QUOTE=danielb6752;13398406]I wouldn't bother just yet - I had a 4 hour diversion to LHR on a FRA-ORD 777 flight last December, and the United customer service folks emailed me the united.com/appreciation email before we even landed, once they knew the extent of our delay (about 4 hours).

Got caught in last wee's snowmageddon. My NRT-IAD was diverted to ORD and the next day's flight nack home was 4 hours late leaving due to 2 planes down for mx. I have received comp emails from United for both problems.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: