Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:39 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Miles Ahead, did you get your vouchers, would they put you on the LH?
I'm not quite sure what the question is, but.

When they finally agreed to send me on LH, the reservations agent made it a point to say they could request an upgrade, but wouldn't. She said normally a request needs to be done 24 hours in advance, and I should have called then. Of course, 24 hours before, United still hadn't canceled the flight.

She then went on to explain how this 24 hour rule can be circumvented, but that they wouldn't.

To be honest, I thought it was kind of petty, but since I managed to get on a flight that got me where I needed to be 8 hours sooner, so I lost only half a day rather than a full day, I wasn't in the mood to rock the boat and risk the whole thing falling apart. This is the first time I have ever been in a situation with irregular operations where I got any resistance at all in taking another carrier, and like I said before, I am really puzzled by this.
  • There was a huge difference in arrival time - 8 hours.
  • This was not just on any *A carrier, but LH, and UA shares revenue with them anyway.

The LH plane did go out with 50 empty seats in Y and at least 2 in C. I had a very nice window seat in Y with an empty one next to me.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
UA 882 (NRT-ORD) diverted to SFO. Reason?

It appears UA 882 (NRT-ORD) has decided to divert to SFO. If you search UA 882 on .bomb, it appears the flight will only make a 20min stopover before continuing onto ORD. Anyone who took the flight want to share the reason?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...905Z/RJAA/KORD

http://www.ua2go.com/flifo/FlightSum...=0&Check=Check
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: SQ Silver; HH Diamond; UA Premier Plat
WorldSpan operational info says diverted for mechanical reasons.

From KVS tool:

NRT/0316CT/IN 213P .02E OFF 616P .03L SECU
SFO/0945CT/ETA 916A .21E ETD 1000A .03L MECH
ORD/1020CT/ETA 342P 1.27L MECH DPTS 400P OT
BOS/0659CT/ARVS 720P OT
SFO/DIVERTED FROM ORD TO SFO DUE TO MECH
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I wonder what kind of mechanical problem it had. Having mechanical problem while crossing an ocean is not exactly a comforting thought. Perhaps it was not an urgent problem otherwise they would have diverted to HNL, ANC, or back to NRT.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
747 are serviced in SFO perhaps saving money.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
I wonder what kind of mechanical problem it had. Having mechanical problem while crossing an ocean is not exactly a comforting thought. Perhaps it was not an urgent problem otherwise they would have diverted to HNL, ANC, or back to NRT.
It's also not that uncommon.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:53 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
ua 900 sfo-fra---diverted to YYR? Jan 17th?

I just noticed that UA 900 SFO-FRA is diverted to YYR, than it says cancelled, than on flightaware.com it says it is going to glasgow???
Does anyone know if it went technical?

Best
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
The UA Cargo site is saying "Operations"...

SAN SFO 10:22 11:26 12:00 13:16 OPERATIONS
SFO YYR 747 13:55 13:49 NSTP OPERATIONS
YYR FRA 747 NSTP 09:45 10:43 OPERATIONS
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:48 am

Programs: CX Gold
Is today's UA 888 cancelled?

On "flight status" page, it says

Depart:
Tue, Jan 19
Scheduled: 1:40 PM
Estimated: 1:00 PM
Reason: Schedule change due to Aircraft Servicing
Gate: --

Arrive:
Tue, Jan 19
Scheduled: 9:03 AM
Estimated: 7:46 AM
Reason: Schedule change due to Aircraft Servicing
Gate: INTL

Moreover, which aircraft will operate this flight? Today's aircraft or the one coming from SFO tomorrow?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:55 am

Not canceled, delayed by almost 24 hours.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:33 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The reason for that is because 882 from tokyo yesterday had a fuel transfer problem and had to stop in SFO to change planes and continue on to ORD. There they needed that plane to go back to tokyo so the one at sfo is still broken.

I know because i was on it and we got in 4 hours late.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Duplicate flight numbers in same day

I'm a frequent traveler on UA 889/888.

That'll be interesting at PEK tomorrow to have two UA888s departing within the same hour. How do you post that on a departure board or announce it . . . "We are now beginning to board Monday's UA 888 . . . soon, we will board Tuesday's UA 888 at the next gate".

Also, is there any potential for ATC confusion if you have two 888's convoying across the Pacific in close proximity to each other?

Anyone on the Monday PEK-SFO flight . . . has UA been able to re-accommodate any, some, most, or all passengers?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by andrewk829
I'm a frequent traveler on UA 889/888.

Also, is there any potential for ATC confusion if you have two 888's convoying across the Pacific in close proximity to each other?
It's a not uncommin situation to be faced with two simultaneous or near-simultaneous flights with the same flight number. Happens all the time when there is a domestic portion of an international flight, operated with different equipment, and one is late, and the other operates as scheduled. In this case the flight gets a radio call sign that is not identical to the flight number, a so-called "radio number".
Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:23 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Not canceled, delayed by almost 24 hours.
I think it's funny that they would "delay" a flight nearly 24 hours instead of cancelling it. I wonder what criteria they use to determine that status?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DEN
I think it's funny that they would "delay" a flight nearly 24 hours instead of cancelling it. I wonder what criteria they use to determine that status?
They have to get people to their destination anyway - my guess is that by delaying the flight 24 hours, they wouldn't have to rebook them on an extra section. Less work to do, it would seem. And an extra section wouldn't have to be created.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.