Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
What happens when a award ticket (interestnal) is cancelled or delayed?

I'm scheduled to fly out to ICN in a couple of weeks on XC ticket. I had horrible experience flying international on an award ticket quite some time ago - stuck in NRT for 2 days (no 1K status back then ), hence a bit of anxiety this time around. This is my 1st flying international on an award ticket since becoming an 1K.

What are my options should my itinerary is cancelled or delayed?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 2:01 pm

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
I just arrived on 903 from Munich in IAD.

MUC: Secondary screening plus pat down - but pretty unspectacular.

On board: IFE off until 20 mins after T/O, Ch 9 off completely. No sit down, carry on restrictions.

IAD: Got through immigration, baggage, customs, baggage re-check and TSA in less than 20 mins - being a visitor to the U.S. Can't really beat that. Sitting in the RCC now, waiting for my flight to BOS.

So from my perspective it looks like things are cooling down somewhat...

PS: oops, sorry, posted it in the wrong thread. Dear Admins could you please move this post to the international flight enhancements post DTW thread. Thx!

Last edited by cas_de; Jan 5, 2010 at 2:02 pm Reason: posted in wrong thread
Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: Free Agent
UA897 IAD-NRT - Inoperable radar. Spare part had to be flown in from ORD. Meanwhile, the crew went illegal.

As of right now, the flight's showing that it'll arrive at 8:15pm, well after my connecting flight to BKK. But I'm sure it'll be much later. Seeing that it'll arrive after the Limousine Bus and NEX stop service (not to mention all my clothes are suited for warmer climates), I called the 1K desk and will try again tomorrow. Lost my confirmed upgrades, and am on the waitlist

Edited to add: Flight has now been pushed back to 10am tomorrow. Good thing I've been home for a few hours!

Last edited by Condition One; Jan 12, 2010 at 2:33 pm
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Condition One
UA897 IAD-NRT - Inoperable radar. Spare part had to be flown in from ORD. Meanwhile, the crew went illegal.

As of right now, the flight's showing that it'll arrive at 8:15pm, well after my connecting flight to BKK. But I'm sure it'll be much later. Seeing that it'll arrive after the Limousine Bus and NEX stop service (not to mention all my clothes are suited for warmer climates), I called the 1K desk and will try again tomorrow. Lost my confirmed upgrades, and am on the waitlist

Edited to add: Flight has now been pushed back to 10am tomorrow. Good thing I've been home for a few hours!
The reason it gets pushed back to the next day after incurring a certain length of delay is because there is no crew base (flight deck) in IAD for the 747.

835 today ORD-PVG also took a lengthy delay.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:15 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
UA975 on 13-Jan

UA975 GVA-IAD was canceled today. Snow in Geneva this morning, and UA974 was diverted to Zurich.

^ We were promised hotel vouchers!

Nobody from United was available to actually produce said hotel vouchers. Swissport had no idea what was going on.

It took 4 calls for me to be rebooked on tomorrow's flight. Apparently OLCI needs to be undone before they can complete the rebooking, and you can't reach the place to do that on united.com if you have a canceled flight segment. So I had to call reservations-reservations-web support-reservations to move my flight.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
It took 4 calls for me to be rebooked on tomorrow's flight. Apparently OLCI needs to be undone before they can complete the rebooking, and you can't reach the place to do that on united.com if you have a canceled flight segment. So I had to call reservations-reservations-web support-reservations to move my flight.
You had to call to get them to rebook you on the next flight out? I thought this was completely automatic as soon as a flight was canceled.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:22 am

That's right - when checking "My Itineraries", it says to call the (non-elite!) reservations number. All that's there are the canceled flights.

In fact, they didn't even put me on the next flight. The next flight is GVA-FRA-SEA on Lufthansa, which gets me in 8 hours earlier. As you might imagine, I've spent the day dealing with other effects of this delay, but I may call them and ask them why they are insisting on keeping me on United metal.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:55 am

Boy, that was like pulling teeth.

"There's no earlier flight"
"How about 9035/8717"
"There's no availability"
"It's showing wide open on United.com - selling down to W"
"We're going to have to charge you more to change your ticket"
"Why? I was supposed to leave today and you canceled the flight; I'm just trying to get where I am going as quickly as possible."
"This will take a supervisor"
"Then let's get one"

The banging sound you hear is my head against the wall.

I still have no idea why there was so much resistance to pushing this ticket to LH. Don't they share revenue?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: Free Agent
UA897 is delayed yet again today. This time due to a sheared engine starter. I've been sitting on the plane for 3 hours now. The crew has gone illegal. Looks like I'll try again tomorrow...
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA975 GVA-IAD was canceled today. Snow in Geneva this morning, and UA974 was diverted to Zurich.
Wondering, how they ferry the plane back.
GVA-IAD tomorrow show only 1 flight
ZRH-IAD today & tomorrow shows their single flight as well
Old Jan 13, 2010, 3:00 pm

Good question. I was poking around looking for the extra section to ride back on, and it never showed up. GVA opened at 10:30, and at one time 974 was scheduled to depart ZRH at 10:00 and arrive at GVA at 10:40. That never happened.

Could the plane have gone mechanical?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Wondering, how they ferry the plane back.
GVA-IAD tomorrow show only 1 flight
ZRH-IAD today & tomorrow shows their single flight as well
It'll be ferried back empty, ferry flight UA9932.

Good question. I was poking around looking for the extra section to ride back on, and it never showed up. GVA opened at 10:30, and at one time 974 was scheduled to depart ZRH at 10:00 and arrive at GVA at 10:40. That never happened.

Could the plane have gone mechanical?
Crew timed out by the time GVA opened.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 13, 2010 at 5:04 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Condition One
UA897 is delayed yet again today. This time due to a sheared engine starter. I've been sitting on the plane for 3 hours now. The crew has gone illegal. Looks like I'll try again tomorrow...
Looks like it did leave today, 3+ hours late. Still not quite as bad as UA965 today from Moscow, 24 hour delay.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:57 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Miles Ahead, did you get your vouchers, would they put you on the LH?

It was no problem last month via the 1k desk to get shifted over to NH, although they would not honour my NC ---> C on ANA.

Last edited by AMRivlin; Jan 13, 2010 at 10:02 pm
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:12 pm

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
UA840 Syd - Lax delayed from 3.25PM to 6.05 PM ( UA 839 Lax-Syd arrived 3 hours late also this morning)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.