Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Old Dec 7, 09, 6:01 pm

Programs: LH SEN, LY, UA/CO, AF/KL, QF
Originally Posted by mkilmo View Post
Hi everybody,

After we boarded a 100% full 777 (in a very messy manner), we were taken off due to fuel tank issues (I always find the concept of mechanical problems in SEA on board of Boeing planes a bit funny). "Luckily" we had some deportee aboard the plane, so after 30 minutes in the plane before the decision to cancel the flight was taken, we got stuck another 20 minutes for real police to "accept" the lucky one.

Anyhow, new flight time - tomorrow at 11:00a.m. (and the expected arrival time at NRT only two hours after the first option of flying to TPE with BR, and then to NRT).

Compensation - a night in a shady Holiday-Inn & 15 $ for food.

Am I missing something?

Should I ask for more compensation?

(I'm LH*G).

Thanks!

So, the day after those of us who went on the same flight (different 777), got this blue "we screwed up and wish to give you e-cert that you can use only on domestic flights, even though you do not live in the US" letters.

Filled it, and let's see how this plays.
Old Dec 7, 09, 7:29 pm

Programs: UACO 1K 0.35MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Compensation Worthy?

On a recent flight, I feel my wife and I were poorly treated and I wanted to seek FT advice regarding what compensation I should request. It's nothing major but was an inconvenience. Here's the gist:

12/4 UA 966 LAX - IAD
(1) Arrive at airport; flight is listed as "delayed" with no time listed.
(2) Arrive at gate before 7:00 for a 7:54 scheduled departure. Later the GAs announce that a part on the plane is broken (later told by the pilot it is a brake "sleeve") and they are flying a part down from SFO, which will arrive no earlier than 9:15. The GAs refuse to speculate on departure time saying the part will take an undetermined amount of time to install and test. Unofficial word is that they are hopeful we can leave “before noon.”
(3) Full plane. Chaos ensues as passengers on tight schedules race to get on other flights. No available direct flights until 12:50, which would ruin our evening plans for this one night trip. CS desk and gate dozens deep we get in line and call united on cell phone.
(4) Phone agent is extraordinarily slow. Once it looked like she could help us, we got out of line. Big mistake. During the nearly 30 minutes my wife was talking to her, she routinely put us on hold and "went away" for 5-10 minutes at a time. She also required us to "cancel our check-in" through a random GA. Eventually (8:15) she gets us seats on flight LAX-DEN-IAD at 8:30. We run to terminal 8 from terminal 7 while on the phone and without boarding passes. Flight is boarding so no GA available. A friendly GA at the next gate over prints our boarding passes.
(5) We had been NC on the original flight and lost it on the new flight. The phone agent didn't tell us we would be E- and not sitting together for either leg. Once we see this, we tell the friendly GA that this isn't acceptable and we'll fly our original itinerary since they had just announced that 966 was switching to a new plane and would leave at 10:30. Friendly GA tells us that our original segment was "deleted" and she can't reinstate but CS can. She prints an itinerary card to show the original segment and our NC status.
(6) Run to CS, line now even longer. Run to original gate but flight has been moved. Fortunately the GA there offers to help and gets us back on the flight in C but not our original 777 "mini-cabin" seats.
(7) Happy at last, we enjoy an excellent flight with only 155 souls onboard as many passengers successfully jumped ship.
(8) Before flying home, I check .bomb and find that someone (likely GAs) had used MY miles to get the NC. Originally we had used my wife’s miles. Not only did I never give permission for them to deduct my miles, my wife had purposefully handled all communications to protect my mile balance, which we need to book her award flight to Europe in a couple weeks. Very upset.
(9) Call united again and a CS agrees to transfer 30000 miles from my wife’s account to my account a no charge. However, she says it will take 7-10 business days. I don't understand why it will take so long considering they instantly debited and credited miles several times during the fiasco.

Obviously, I want the miles NOW not next week. But do we have a case for additional compensation? Original flight was delayed almost 3 hours, poor CS, lost our desired seats, miles mishandled...
Old Dec 7, 09, 7:31 pm

Programs: UACO 1K 0.35MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Opps!

Just realized this is an itnl thread. Can above post get moved?
Old Dec 7, 09, 9:38 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Went 2 for 2 on my trip this weekend. 896 HKG-ORD Thursday was 45 minutes late with a medical issue, pax removed, paramedics, the whole deal. For 895 on Saturday I got a text at 2AM changing the departure time to 2PM (1.5 hour delay) due to Aircraft Servicing. No idea what the issue was, didn't remember to ask in my jetlagged state.
Then, onboard, another medical, pax removed, waited for bags to be removed. Total 2 hour delay. I was actually impressed with how quickly they pulled the bags on both of these flights.

UA held the flights HKG-SGN and HKG-SIN for our 8PM arrival (well, obviously they had to hold one of them since our aircraft would be used...) No other communication from UA. Guess 2 hours isn't considered an important delay by United.

Oh, and on the 895, I snuck a peek at the C upgrade list and saw THIRTY-SEVEN names not cleared. Wow. 100% full in all classes. 3 lucky pax made it from C->F and I think 3 or 4 from Y->C.
Old Dec 17, 09, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
12/17 both UA 889 and 857 delayed

Stuck at SFO waiting for my 10:58am flight to Beijing. GA first announced it would take a while for cleaning up. 20 minutes later, we were told the aircraft is under maintenance service. We won't know what time we can go until 12pm.

Also noticed that UA 857 to Shanghai also delayed for 3 1/2 hours.

Don't know what is going on....
Old Dec 18, 09, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 2MM, DL Diamond, AmEx Cent, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Moms love me
UA 922 IAD-LHR on 12/18/09

Anyone know what happened? Flight aware is showing it turning around about 2:30 into flight and returning to IAD...and then canceled.

Can't imagine they'd rather have the eqpt in IAD than LHR with the snowpocalysemaggeddon about to arrive!
Old Dec 18, 09, 5:15 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
unitedcargo.com is showing the flight as rtfl which iirc, is return to field and then cancelled. my guess is an in flight mx, medical or other "situation" (perhaps security) and then perhaps the "continuation" was cancelled due to crew or the impending storm
Old Dec 18, 09, 7:15 pm

Due to the winterstorm most of UAs international flights into/out of IAD are cxld for SA 12/19. Among them: NRT, FCO, CDG, GVA, ZRH, MUC, BRU, AMS, at least one of FRA & LHR frequencies.
Old Dec 18, 09, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt View Post
Anyone know what happened? Flight aware is showing it turning around about 2:30 into flight and returning to IAD...and then canceled.

Can't imagine they'd rather have the eqpt in IAD than LHR with the snowpocalysemaggeddon about to arrive!
Also canceled tomorrow (Saturday) too, 2days in a row. Pretty messy.
Old Dec 21, 09, 3:41 am

Dec 21 NRT-TPE

flight is delayed until tomorrow at 7AM. Unitedcargo.com indicates "Operations"; but not sure what happened. No compensation was offered, got put up in a smelly Narita View "Motel". I asked to be put on another carrier but was told that all flights too TPE were booked. Should I inquire about compensation when check in for my flight tomorrow? How much should I be expecting for more than 12 hours delay?
Old Dec 21, 09, 3:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Silver VIP
NRT > ORD at scheduled for 5:50pm departure just got delayed until 2:00pm tomorrow due to mechanical maintenance issue....waiting to see what happens

agent in the lounge says they'll be offering hotel rooms
Old Dec 21, 09, 7:08 pm

MO, 12/21 UA # 935 LHR-LAX cxld. Not sure, if it was related to East Coast weather weekend.
Old Dec 23, 09, 11:24 am

12/23 UA 941 at KEF-Reykjavik: Reason?

UA 941 FRA-ORD left on time, but seemed to be forced to interrupt its TATL crossing at KEF. Anybody know, what's the reason for this unscheduled stop? Unlikely, but maybe weather at ORD?

Update: Flight is back up in the air after some 2h30 hrs on the ground, now scheduled to land 9h03, for a 6 hrs delay.

Last edited by cesco.g; Dec 23, 09 at 6:32 pm
Old Dec 23, 09, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
UA cargo only says "operations" and the final delay is only 30 minutes so I'm guessing either fuel or to offload a passenger.

oops: that arrival information was for ORD-DEN which uses a different ac. The delay into ORD is about 3 hours, which suggests something more serious than fuel or a sick passenger.
Old Dec 23, 09, 4:58 pm

Looks like Dec 23 is shaping up to be a challenging day. UA967 from Rome to IAD diverted to Geneva, mechanical.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: